Skip to content
Maintankadin

Warchief Kargath Bladefist

Dynaheir
Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:06 am

Warchief Kargath Bladefist

Since 2.3 and the new badge rewards I've tried to complete every daily quest for heroics I could pick, and I didn't have any problems with any until I found H SH (I skipped H BM when it popped :p ). The run itself was pretty much a deja-vu of Reg. 7 elite pulls prolly 2-3 CC's, casters or annoying mobs. Even the bosses were relatively easy, no wipes at all, all the way. We get to the last boss. Group setup: Pally healer, shadowpriest, fire mage, enh shammy and me. Strategy: Me 1 step into the room from the stairs taggin the adds, enh shammy dpsing from behind the boss, spriest east wall, mage west wall, healer opposite stairs. Wipe, wipe wipe. In between, we had the priest not in shadowform offhealing. Same result, on the first dance we would have 1-2 dps down, and everyone down but me by the second dance.

The priest and shammy decided to step out after a 25g~ish repair bill, but I couldnt possibly belive we couldn't down that mofo so childishly decided to stay until I saw him dead. We got a retadin and a rogue.

Wipe wipe. Holy pally steps out, priest steps in. Wipe, wipe. Priest steps out, we get a t5 healer from the most progressed guild in the server and down the boss to 1% (yes, LoH was on cooldown, HoW was on cooldown, Judgement was on cooldown, potions had 3 seconds cooldown .. Mad) then wipe...

For the following attempt we decided everyone would go full out and do a bubble orgy on the first dance. DS for the retadin and healer, BoP the mage and rogue. For the second dance the mage died and we had the boss at about 15ish% which we downed before he could run again.

It was probably the worst heroic experience I ever had, and I can't possibly believe it was that awful when we had had no problem getting to the warchief.

Now my question is, what could've possibly failed? Our first healer was not full epic'd out, but then they were t5, I don't think the difficulty of a heroic instance should be such (t5+). Is my gear not good enough for this boss? How much HP does the dps need to make it out alive for the dances? Is there anything I should've done differently?

I'm looking forward for this sucker to be the Daily again and smash his face, hopefully you guys can give me the heads up on what to do next time, a 50g repair bill and 3 hours are not worth the trouble if I can't get it right on the first attempts Confused

Edit: Sorry for the long post, and http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Aerie%20Peak&n=Dynaheir armory link. It's down now, but my stats are barely 15k armor, 12.9k hp, 104% avoidance.
_________________
Dorvan
Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:18 am
Your DPS *have* to survive whirlwind. If they're not, they need to get BoK and/or wear more stamina gear. You should only have one healer on the fight...the more dps you have the fewer whirlwinds you have to survive. If you're having difficulty with the boss, non-cloth DPS can be helpful as they stand up to the whirlwind much better, but it's entirely doable with cloth.
_________________
Quean
Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:20 am
My mage has about 6.5k unbuffed hp and I normally run heroic SH with a priest healer friend...so with fort, I'm at about 7.5k. If I'm at full health when he starts doing his Imabigdick thing, I have to pop mana shield or he WILL kill me. With mana shield up, I come out with ~1-2k hp usually, although the priest is pretty good about getting a shield and a renew on me right as he starts, so we've been doing it pretty well lately.

Priests are excellent for that, assuming they can live through it. PoH after he's done and you're back where you started....it's not very paladin-healer friendly from what I've seen...they have trouble keeping the tank up and getting the group back to full before the next whirlwind thing starts, so people start dying.
_________________
Dynaheir
Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:27 am
Readycheck so far:
Iceblock mage
Mail+ dps
PW:Sh, PoH spam

I think its the pally lack of group healing that doomed us. It was a pally who we downed him with, but his skills were insane, so I might just get a priest next time.
_________________
Caelia
Tue Nov 27, 2007 9:09 am
druids are good aswell. There mass amount of HoTs can easily keep people up during the WW. Also its handy if your dps pays attention to the WW and runs AWAY from it when its coming towards you.
_________________


Dynaheir
Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:39 am
It seemed to me he started doing it more frequently the deeper we were in the fight... Still not totally confident he's gonna be 1-shot in my future runs Confused
_________________
Vagrant
Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:41 am
It has a timer.
_________________
Nord EU
Dynaheir
Wed Nov 28, 2007 10:34 am
1-shot this mofo today for the Daily, and even got to Alina before she was executed. Smile

But the quest was bugged and the bitch didnt complete the quest Sad

Shadowpriest, holy pally, hunter, frost mage and me, I gotta admit, quite easy now, thanks a lot for all the advice. Wink
_________________
Doloth
Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:22 pm
A RL friend of mine is a mage who has only one piece of kara gear (off Attumen), yet can get 10k hp unbuffed and 10k mana (with int buff), plus I can use kings on em. He looses a bit of damage, but compared to another mage I know who has about 300 more spell damage, but only 6.5k hp, I would take the former.

Doing tons of damage does not mean you can do heroics. Your dps needs survivability as well, and it is doable outside kara.
_________________
Eanin
Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:33 am
Eep - I hear 6.5k and I cringe. Lots of DPS really need to add stam gear for fights like this. My hunter carries around a ton of junk (Marksman Legguards!) just for fights like this, and that extra 2k hitpoints is simply the difference between life and death in fights like Warchief, Gruul, Shade... anything that has (nearly) unavoidable AoE damage.
_________________
Suikano
Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:58 am
Eanin, were you on bristlebane by any chance?
_________________