Skip to content
Maintankadin

magisters terrace?

Gracerath
Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:19 pm
Pro tip for the second boss on heroic: The sparks spawn at 15% intervals. Kill sparks, dps waits until the debuff wears off, do another 15% damage, repeat until the sorta enrage at ~20% and burn him down.

Slow and steady wins this race.
_________________
djellum
Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:21 pm

annoying

I'd call it one of the hardest 5 mans, but it really falls in the my catagory of "tedious". Its not really uber hard, its just chaotic and forces you to think about group makup and decide which nasty trick the mobs use is the greatest evil, how to deal with adds besides ignoring them like a normal 5 man, and dealing with more pronounced phases. + some more annoying bs depending on what group you have.

I have noticed an extreme difficulty holding threat, but I have been stuck with lots of pvper's and ppl with broken omen so it could just be players or normal patch syndrome.

I will say that experience will likely make it a ton easier in there once you have a bead on how the big pulls affect the group and could turn into a very short profitable run for guild groups etc.

Even kael isnt super tough if you can stay away from the bubbles.
_________________
Real Dwarves tank in Crusader Aura


Achtung
Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:30 pm
I did this for the first time last night (work ftl) and it was pretty straight forward and easy, up until kael. I think it would be an easy fight, but we had a pally healer and the single target heals during the bubble phase just couldn't deal with the damage. would definately be easier with a druid or shammy or something with group/hots.
_________________
Yae, 70 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde
Riyan
Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:23 am
Ran it heroic last night, and out of the entire instance there were only 2 hard parts.

Vexallus and his overload; This actually killed my entire group with him on 1% and me the only one left standing. I had to bubble when he had ~4k health left, and killed him with Judgement/HoW/Consecrate, etc. Was quite funny actually Razz

Trash before 3rd boss: We cleared the first pack on the left and then the pack in the middle. When we tried to pull the 2nd pack on the left (wanting to bypass the right), all the other packs tagged in for some reason halfway through combat. We sure as hell didn't pull them, so maybe they called for help. We tried once more, wiped once more. Eventually we decided to just clear the right side, and had no packs tagging in.

Group:
Tank: Me (prot pala)
Healer: Holy Priest
DPS: Warlock, Rogue, Mage

Gear: Mix of T4+Badges. Mage was in pre-kara blues.

Strategies used:
Pull with Enslave on the Succubi or with Mind control the Mage-Guards. That way they would agro the mob first, it would do damage and get killed and then we'd finish off the rest. Mage would nearly always sheep 1 mob.

Some packs without Succubi or Mage-Guards, I just pulled and tanked all of them while the rest killed them one at a time.

Mostly we killed the Imp -> Warlock -> Blood Knight -> Physician and saved the Magister (sheeped) for last.
Note: I didn't think to ask the mage to try and spellsteal that buff off the Magister. No idea if that works. Razz
_________________
Tunnis
Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:53 am
What do you guys do on kael?
I tanked during the first phase, but on the second I got 2 bubles following me so I just keept swimming around... I think I was able to cast one consencration that hit him not so much more.
_________________

Tekkel
Fri Mar 28, 2008 3:15 am
I ran it twice on normal and once on heroic. After figuring out how the mobs worked it was pretty easy. Only wiped on the 2nd boss on heroic due to the massive damage. It worked for us to just rotate between dps killing the adds.
Pretty much 1 shot the 3rd boss with 2 healers there. My healing gear is 1800+ in tank spec so pretty viable.
And I haven't seen kael cast a pyro actually. Probably helps to bring real dps here to burn him to 50% before he gets to cast the pyro.
Dianora
Fri Mar 28, 2008 9:45 am
Much against my own advice, I formed a MrT pug group comprising of me (tank), guild druid healer (she's already done 1 run with me), guild alt elemental shaman (not enough dps), and pug rogue & hunter.

I don't know how we manage to get pass the first 2 boss, but the third boss stopped us cold. We didn't have enough dps to burn down 1 add, let alone all of them.

In the future, I'll only be running this with extra high dps team.
_________________

redlenses
Sun Apr 06, 2008 1:26 pm
I think the last trash pull makes this the hardest "normal mode" 5 man. The trash is on par with Heroics, especially since there are a few sets of trash that reset if you don't 1-shot them. I tanked all the way to the last trash pull and we could not get past it. The Blood Knight has Seal of Wrath that does a lot of burst damage. CC is very important for this instance.
Seloei
Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:22 am
the last trash before kael is 100% identical to makeup as the 3-4 groups you had before the 3. boss. The only difference is that they respawn if you wipe. Either CC the major aoe'rs or the healers, and burn em all.

This place isnt too hard if you dont have anyone major drunk or asleep trying to dps/heal/tank. Not even on heroic, well... 3. boss might be messy if you get the unlucky combo but as been said, you can reset them and see from start (2 mage guards).

Farmed the place non-stop since it came out, never stepping a foot inside again after the darn cudgel dropped.
_________________
kvark
Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 am
I have a "decently" geared hunter alt, no higher than kara items. So I know a bit about both tanking and dps'ing here.

What I did on second boss was to put my pet on all arcanes. The group hardly noticed ANY flares. Healer did a little "hmm?" after boss died due to the easyness of the fight.

Pets takes reduced spelldamage, and since flares hurt the ones that killed it - pet is PERFECT for the job. try it =)
_________________
Sweeney
Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:11 am
Just thought I'd talk a bit about gearing for this instance. (I did my monthly Outfitter look-through this weekend, so I went ahead and tried out some things.)

For trash I go almost entirely for effective HP and threat,as so much of your incoming damage is spell-based. HoJ on one of the more dangerous mobs on the pull and spamming Cleanse on yourself also goes a long way towards reducing incoming damage. I started out doing the trash in my threat set, then tried BV for a bit, but having a deep HP pool seemed to help the most. With that gear loadout I've only died when someone backed into a pack we hadn't cleared yet, or if the healer forgot to move out of a dampening field.

Obviously you want to wear healing gear for Delrissa, but I also do it for Kael. Again, mostly incoming spell damage means your tanking stats do little, and I'm better than most of our healers at avoiding orbs so it helps a ton on phase 2. I typically 'stick and move' using only Flash of Light to help keep people alive (not worrying about topping them off), then HL when we land to get everyone to full.
_________________
Sweeney: 70 Paladin, Runetotem