Skip to content
Maintankadin

Looking for constructive criticism for my 5/46/10 spec

DMStewart
Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:46 am

Looking for constructive criticism for my 5/46/10 spec

To paraphrase Linda Richmond (one of Mike Meyers' characters from SNL, the lady who did Coffee Talk)

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/paladin/talents.html?0500000000000000000005025133500001025215510500500000000000000000

Discuss.

Before the discussion starts, however, allow me to point out a few of the reasons for the choices I made.

1: 5/5 Divine Intellect because, with the 10% Intellect buff from the talent, Kara buffed I have just over 6k mana.

2: 0/2 Improved Judgment because I don't see a need to reduce the CD on Judgment when I have other places to put those points that provide more benefit both when soloing and (much more often) in party.

3: 2/2 Guardian's Favor in case my taunt gets resisted and as a PvP help. Yes, I do dabble in PvP in my MT spec.

4: 0/3 Precision and 0/2 Spell Warding because I just didn't have the points.

Any constructive criticism would be appreciated.
_________________
Some want to live forever through great deeds, others through their children. I want to live forever through not dying.

NarfJones
Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:56 am
Precision is better than Divine Intellect.

Reckoning is better than Divine Intellect.

Imp Crusader is better than Divine Intellect.

Basically, Divine intellect is going to do you no good. At least, very little. It's a percentage talent which means it scales with you intellect. Well, you will be wearing very few, (See: If any) pieces with intellect on them. So at most that's 5 point for a maximum of 600-700 extra mana points. Bad trade off.
_________________
Tanking is was made to do
Refute
Sun Mar 16, 2008 11:09 am
I agree - Divine Intellect is not worth 5 points. As that precision increases +hit to melee and spells, it is very nice - plus it should be all the hit you'll ever need for the most part.

Not having Spell Warding is understandable, IMHO (40 pts off each 1000), at least until you are fighting longer encounters that have lots of magic involved.

Regarding improved judgement - I suppose you don't have to have it but it does help with getting threat (especially initial threat) and it is also noticed if someone pulls aggro off of you and your taunt is not up.

However, while some of these choices are debateable, everyone here will tell you that having 5 points in DI are 5 points wasted. And lastly, pretty much every build here will have precision in it.

Good luck.
Ulushnar
Sun Mar 16, 2008 12:49 pm
Divine Intellect really has no use. It gives you a bit more mana at the start of the fight, but that's only gonna be one more rotation before you go OOM if you're outgearing the content.

It's not worth losing 5 points worth of useful talents from the Prot tree. Precision and either spell warding or improved judgement would be the way to go.
_________________
Been Hacked - Lost mah Purplez

kalbear
Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:51 am
5 talent points for 20-40 int is not worth it. Compare that to 3 talent points for the equivalent of 50 hit and 50 spell hit, which is both greater itemization and is more useful to you in general.

Int is a nice-to-have stat. It's best for offtanking. It is not useful for MT roles when you essentially have unlimited mana. You'll get enough from your tier items without trying. Don't exacerbate the bad itemization with worse talent decisions.
Mithos
Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:44 pm
Divine Int would be the holy talent to take if you wanted a 10/x/x build say, but as you don't I really think you won't need it. If you run oom whilst raiding then you are outgearing it so an initial little extra bit of mana won't help too much. Personally I do like my mana when I'm off tanking or add tanking or whatever, but I prefer to get it from gear rather than talent points.

You get so much more value for money if you drop divine int and get precision and imp judge - I used to not be the biggest fan of imp judge but it really is a huge improvement. That's my advice.
_________________

Sweeney
Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:56 pm
Even if you only look at it in terms of threat-to-mana, Precision is better than Divine Intellect. Fewer resists on a avenger's shield or judgement, and more hits with SOR, means you'll get more threat out of your mana use.

If you're having mana issues i'd try watching Omen to see if you're just generating more threat than necessary, if so downrank Consecrate to 4, judge Wisdom on bosses, and see if you can find a sustainable rotation per fight. Usually you don't need to go all out on things that aren't hitting you very hard. And on boss fights, anything beats Divine Intellect due to the healing you'll be getting.
_________________
Sweeney: 70 Paladin, Runetotem
Brickhouse
Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:02 am
I think by now he should get the point =)

I agree with everyone else, those 5 points in intellect are basically like having 5 LESS talent points. 10% of what is already a small intellect pool is like what? Lets see, I have usually around 5000 (on the high end), so what is that 500 more mana?

Of all the things I wish I had, 500 mana is not one of them.
Sweeney
Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:02 pm
Hopefully the OP doesn't feel dogpiled. Smile This is a surprisingly common misconception, and so I think we all had answers on the tip of our tongue.

I do wish I could figure out why it comes up as often as it does; most other classes/specs, when they need more mana efficiency, look to INT/max mana last. It's just odd that so many tankadins come up with the idea of taking Divine Intellect -- heck, even when I'm healing I definately put max mana way down on the list after efficiency and regen.
_________________
Sweeney: 70 Paladin, Runetotem
Mithos
Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:20 am
Well tbh when I do heroics and tank adds I pile on mana gear because I know I'm not going to be regenning much, and there are more important things to use potion CD on than mana pots (if neccessary).

In heroic gear I have about 6/7k mana buffed, in add/aoe gear about 8k. You cannot afford whilst tanking such things that actually really hurt to increase your damage intake and stress your healers too much. That said, I would still never take Divine Int unless I specced for Imp SoR. I find it far more efficient to play around with gear. I just pile on the int gear and rec less often, usually when the group has to (for heroics/AoE) - I am very cavalier with my mana usage in those situation, and very careful with adds.

This is only for aoe/add/heroic tanking btw, ofc not for MTing and such :p.
_________________

DMStewart
Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:28 pm
I don't feel like I've been dogpiled upon. I think the reason many look to Divine intellect for mana problems has to do with it being in the 1st tier of the tree.
_________________
Some want to live forever through great deeds, others through their children. I want to live forever through not dying.

Invisusira
Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:34 pm
There are much, MUCH better things to spend points on.

Any build with points in holy is not a real tanking build.
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
djellum
Thu Apr 03, 2008 7:09 pm

gear vs talent

SoW is your friend if mana is a concern. use it and judge it when you need it if your having trouble with mana. JoR is the best threat seal but if your being hit so softly your oom then you should have some lighter spell dmg gear on anyway.

switching out one piece of gear enchanted with intel or mp5 will easily equal the amount gained by 5 talent points, which is a way better deal imo. my spell dmg set has some intel ench and mp5 ench (from upping my ench level) and i use those in 5 mans too. the extra regen and intel helps but frankly i still go oom easily without SoW.
_________________
Real Dwarves tank in Crusader Aura