Skip to content
Maintankadin

The thoughts of a lunatic, 47-12, crazy? yes... but....

dav_sfc
Sun Nov 18, 2007 8:19 pm

The thoughts of a lunatic, 47-12, crazy? yes... but....

The mathematicians out there will have figured out that i still have 2 points to spend... but I am so confused i don't know where to put them! So i didn't put them anywhere... yet.

My disclaimer before i start.. I'm pretty much a noob so i could get all of the following wrong and I'm well open to criticism! In fact, i encourage it!

I dropped Reckoning for CE (i missed it for a while.. but don't in Instances (5-man, non heroic so far)).
I dropped Kings... for now, cos i don't ever use it! It's BoSalv everywhere and BoSanc on myself. I'd even go for BoWis over Kings.
To make matters better, nobody else misses it either! One Hunter even commented, "BoSalv and BoMight together! I love that!" when we had 2 pally's in the group. (but when does the 10% extra stats to the group become better than the damage reduction and block damage of BoSanc? (raiding i guess?))

I only have 4 in 1hWS but 2 in spell ward. I got 2 in ImpJ but i think ill get rid of this for 2PoJ because i don't judge often enough to need it. (I probably should though!) When does the extra 3.3 Judgments per 80 seconds become so big that the same threat cannot be gotten from +spell damage gear?

I'm not dropping Spell ward either... i think this is hugely under-rated. You always take spell damage at 70, casters are everywhere!. If you take nothing but spell damage and you have 10,000 hits then that is 400 damage reduced. More if you factor in AD below 35%.
This sounds rubbish but when you factor in that you are probably healed by up to 2 or 3 times your health over a fight then it gets even better!
If you have 10k hits and are healed by 10k by your healer in the average fight that means you get 4% reduction on 20k, that could be up to 800 hit, thats equivalent to 40 stamina.

OK, so that's if you only take spell damage but again it scales.. the more HP you have and the more you are healed the more HP you have that get the benefit of the 4%. The longer the fight, the more healing the bigger the payoff.
I could see this saving you thousands of hit points over a long fight. (I could be so wrong here though! But thats my thinking.) what's 4% of the average total damage you take over a full fight considering what you are healed? (is that the right way to look at this talent?)

I also think that the new PoJ offers a similar benefit to spell damage mitigation over long fights, reducing the chance a spell hits. (Getting hit with 92 from 100 hits instead of 95 from 100(5% miss?). This is probably wrong as I've no idea how resists and misses work for spells)
I think my 2 points from ImpJ will go here plus one of my remaining 2 points. Holding on to one point for BoK's if someone can convince me i will use it more in the future!

So that should give me a build like this... http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/paladin/talents.html?0000000000000000000005305133500021024215510500500030000000000000

Protection (48 points)

5/5 Redoubt
3/3 Precision
5/5 Toughness
1/1 Blessing of Kings
3/3 Improved Righteous Fury
3/3 Shield Specialization
5/5 Anticipation
2/2 Spell Warding
1/1 Blessing of Sanctuary
2/2 Sacred Duty
4/5 One-Handed Weapon Specialization
2/2 Improved Holy Shield
1/1 Holy Shield
5/5 Ardent Defender
5/5 Combat Expertise
1/1 Avenger's Shield

Retribution (13 points)

5/5 Benediction
5/5 Deflection
3/3 Pursuit of Justice

Your thoughts please.
Daithai, Azgalor
Thundaar
Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:20 pm
Id sayyour build is pretty solid ... so if you were lookingfor a "your crazy" comment ... nah ... the essentials are there.

The question I'd ask: how big are your tanking goals?

If you're planning to stop on heroics then you may want to consider keeping kings as it's a nice health/mit bump that will out shine sanc on boss encounters. In fact I recomend neverusing reagents on yourself; simply toggle between sanc/kings depending on pack pulls vs big hitters.

If your goal is raiding however, then I'd say you can safely drop Kings. Why? Cause its a common buff. Both Ret and Holy Pallies pick it up all the time, and because Prot is point starved, I feel no guilt in letting them pick up the slack Smile
That will let you move that last point into 1HWS and get another % of threat.
Tbolt
Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:34 pm
My build is pretty similar to the one you have there, I'm 47/13 as well. However I could not part with 5/5 reckoning so I took it instead of spellwarding and precision. I figured the PoJ would help with some spell avoidance and spellwarding wouldn't be missed so much. When I dropped precision I figured I was human and it wouldn't be that big a deal but I don't know if that still works the same way with our new racial. I also took 2 points out of anticipation and got improved judgement and I still have more than enough defense left over. I have one point left still which I'm probably gonna use to get 4/5 deflection but I'm still thinking about it, so far I really like the build though.
_________________
dav_sfc
Mon Nov 19, 2007 6:03 pm
Thanks for the feedback and a good point on the prot tree being points starved. I would not feel one bit guilty about not having it either and I will drop this when I'm geared for raiding. (Unless it's a deal breaker! I've heard of guilds 'forcing' tankadins to have this!)

I'm not in the position to drop any defense yet, though I see this is a popular choice. Even now that i have reached 490+ defense I still drop tonnes of it for + spell damage so dropping Anticipation for defense would basically have me stuck in gear with no +spell damage.

I do like the idea of maybe dropping one in deflection later on though. Again, it's a case of not affording it yet but 1% mitigation for a point in something else you long for could be a worthwhile exchange, when you can spare it!

Imp Judgment. I'm afraid this is going to go for now and PoJ is going in. It is still the same size stick when CC breaks if only a slower one! I hope to use it as you say too but i'll risk the 2 seconds extra to wait. (the the time or re-orient myself i think this 2 seconds will have passed anyway! I'm a bit slow...)

For better or worse I've a least convinced myself (with your help!) to go for the above build. I'll be happy playing with it for some time I'm sure and when I'm doing heroics full time ill decide if I'll spend the last point in 1hWS or Kings. If I take Kings ill certainly be dropping it when I'm Raid which is what i want to do.

You almost convinced me too that I might not be crazy! Wink So thanks!