Skip to content
Maintankadin

How good is Avenger's Shield

Mion
Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:02 am

How good is Avenger's Shield

How good is Avenger's Shield when in raids of 25 ppl? In my main we dont have tankadins only for some boss packs, so do tankadins pull whit Avenger's Shield in 25 ppl raids, or its useless?
Bavius
Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:06 am
From my experience, mis-direct is much better for some scenarios. HKM being one of them.

Generally speaking, if I hit more than one mob/boss with AS it won't come off until one of us dies. It's not appropriate to use on fights that need to be setup carefully like HKM, but on fights like Moroes (or the new hex lord) I use it to start because it buys the healers time while DPS does its job.
Mion
Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:17 am
Ok since i only tanking heroics i dont know how the talents are usefull in endgame in MT, so how good its to have 3 points in pursuit justice for endgame MT? Btw Ardent Defender its nice for heroics at least but tankadin in SSC/TK got +/- 15k hp so this skill its on when you have +/-5k hp, if you have 5k hp when boss hiting its already bad so any use on this skill too for endgame as MT?
Bavius
Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:39 am
Pursuit is a waste, if you put those poinst in crusade you boost all crits on the boss instead. I highly recommend you do that instead of running faster.
Warrender
Tue Nov 13, 2007 6:55 am
Every time I use Avenger's Shield I go "Muahahahahahahaha!" inside.

Every. Single. Time.
_________________
Whitewolf
Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:18 am
Agreed.
And nothing is better then shielding some rogue sprinting away from you...
Makes me chuckle every time.
Gracerath
Tue Nov 13, 2007 7:51 am
Its better than a kick in the face with a golf shoe.

Which is how you'll feel every time you try to do a 5 man without it. Also useful for many 25 man pulls.
_________________
Tiandelin
Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:38 am
The way the trees are set up going into 2.3, I couldn't really come up with a reason not to take AS. Initially, I was planning on giving it up for sanctity, but Combat Expertise pretty much destroyed that plan.

It's not always needed, but it's nice initial burst threat and useful in many situations besides. We don't have that many ranged attacks, and this is pretty much our most powerful one. I wouldn't give it up lightly.
_________________
jere
Tue Nov 13, 2007 10:43 am
I find it a pretty useful ability in 25 mans. I use it in

Gruul's Lair -- Pull Trash, Pull my add on the HK battle, first hit/pull on Gruul, after a shatter on gruul, etc.

Mag's Lair -- Pull my channeler

SSC -- I use it to pull my mobs to me if I am tanking 2 or more. I use it on hydross (can't block anyways) when I tank him, and on the hydross adds when I tank those. I use it on Morogrin's murlocks.

TK -- I use it to pull my adds when we don't have enough CC anyways, I use it for Void Reaver, I use it to pull the big robot assigned to me.

All in all, it is an ability, that while I can work around not having, I would feel incomplete without. I love it a lot, and use it as often as I can.
_________________
Worldie
Tue Nov 13, 2007 5:48 pm
AS is situational. You can do most of the fights without and not noticing it, but the following ones:
- Leotheras the Blind
- Al'Ar
- Kael'thas Sunstrider (if you are kiting or tanking phoenixes)
- Lady Vashj

Might produce a good amount of headaches if you don't have it.

In MH i find it quite useful for both ninjapulling gargoyles or casters, and picking Infernals/Doomguards.

I've not yet gone throught Supremus in BT, but i can tell you that it's a nice one to have in this fight if you are Main Tanking.
_________________

Marle
Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:07 pm
You won't use it too much on most trash pulls starting 25 mans.

Misdirection is king for pulls and Avenger's Shield tends to interfere with it too much. The other tanks will have trouble getting their targets from you and you'll have trouble surviving the hits. But it's still an incredibly useful tool for picking up spawning adds or mobs with an aggro drop.

Another good use is tossing the shield at a group of mobs which will be sheeped (or banished). When the CC eventually breaks, the mobs will charge for you instead of raping the clothies.
_________________
Zhalseran
Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:20 am
While I've not tanked 25 mans, I can't imagine being without my Avenger's Shield. At one point while leveling, I respecced slightly to a spec that I did not plan to have Avenger's Shield. I missed it so much even while leveling/tanking 5 mans that I took it the next level. Its certinaly not useful in every situation, but there are a lot where it is incredibly useful
_________________
YoYoMa
Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:46 pm
I use it ALL the time. Somebody mentioned never using it on trash pulls, I always use it on trash pulls. In fact I think I pull 75% of our trash pulls in 25-man instances because of it. Those groups of 6 in TK in that first hall. I always start the pull, mages sheep on the fly and other tanks taunt off. This has a side benefit of adds coming to me if a sheep is broken or missed. Misdirect doesn't.

I start the magtheridon channelers with it since I can use wings + that + conc + judge within a matter of a second and let the dps unload right away.

I used it a bunch last night in ZA on the dragonhawk boss to slow down the hatchers if the hunter wasn't in position to frost trap em. The slowing benefit is nice in several situations.

I just find so many useful situations for it in all aspects of raiding.