Skip to content
Maintankadin

Dual spec; ret OT with shield

Korimoor
Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:46 pm

Dual spec; ret OT with shield

My main build will be MT prot. For my dual spec though, I want to be able to OT and do as much dps as possible.

So,

Will this be viable ? Will I be able to OT in Ulduar with this spec and not be a HUGE burden on my healers.

I will be using a sword and shield
I will be specced into ret 51 points
I will still be at def 540

http://ptr.wowhead.com/?talent=sZV0tAZefbt0IzGdIbsu

Is there another OT/dps build that is better perhaps taking more prot talents at the expense of dps ?
mconeone
Mon Apr 13, 2009 8:53 pm

Re: Dual spec; ret OT with shield

Why not just MT when you need to tank and go full ret when you need to dps? What fight are you doing this for?
Korimoor
Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Dual spec; ret OT with shield

mconeone wrote:Why not just MT when you need to tank and go full ret when you need to dps? What fight are you doing this for?


Well, off the top of my head, fights like Anub rekan, Faerlina adds, Thaddius (2 guys at the beginning), Sarth 1d or 2d. I would assume there are fights like these that require 2 tanks but once the adds or whatever are down, you can dps.
Dorvan
Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: Dual spec; ret OT with shield

Korimoor wrote:Well, off the top of my head, fights like Anub rekan, Faerlina adds, Thaddius (2 guys at the beginning), Sarth 1d or 2d. I would assume there are fights like these that require 2 tanks but once the adds or whatever are down, you can dps.


I've OT'ed all of Naxx10 as Ret, simply swapping to tank gear when needed. I'm sure the same can easily be done for Naxx25 (it just hasn't come up for me). I imagine that this will be less viable in Ulduar, especially for hard modes, but I'm not sure.

If you're going that deep into Ret you'll be a lot more helpful just doing a full Ret spec so you can really DPS when you're not needed at all to tank. A lot of the deep Ret talents are pretty pointless if you're just doing sword and board DPS, you'll probably be at least as well off with a crusade/prot build.
Skio
Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:57 pm

Re: Dual spec; ret OT with shield

Just go full Retribution. All your spec really does is drop a helpful raid buff in Swift Retribution and more damage when not OT from 2h spec for Toughness, and it's not a necessary trade-off. A little extra armor is nice, but it shouldn't be a necessity for what you're looking to do.
Serjero
Tue Apr 14, 2009 9:43 pm

Re: Dual spec; ret OT with shield

If you need to OT in Ulduar just OT as prot, and don't bother trying to do so with Ret, there's no reason to. Even after adds die as a prot OT you can toss out hand of sacrifice and divine sacrifice and your DPS will probably be around the same as a ret in tanking gear if you use the DPS/TPS prot spec.