Skip to content
Maintankadin

Crusade Spec Worthless in Ulduar?

Oryann
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:57 am

Crusade Spec Worthless in Ulduar?

Is it just me or aren't the bosses in Ulduar giants? Wouldn't that make the crusade spec worthless?
Invisusira
Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:03 am
There's a spec where people get Crusade?
Mavrix
Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:10 am
Crusade does a flat 3% damage increase regardless of mob type then an additional 3% on the specified mob types. 3% damage against giants is still worthwhile.
Dorvan
Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:26 am
Mavrix wrote:Crusade does a flat 3% damage increase regardless of mob type then an additional 3% on the specified mob types. 3% damage against giants is still worthwhile.


^^ This.
Torquemada
Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:02 am
Yeah. 6% damage plus 3% crit(Taking Conviction to get to Crusade) against most mob types and a mere 3% damage and 3% crit against giants and mechanicals is worth the points to me.

Oh, and I would still probably spec for Crusade like this, but that's me.
Oryann
Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:47 pm
Ya I understand the 3% more damage part but I have not had any problems with threat ever...(minus the one time I left my healing shield and mace on for maly by accident) As it stands right now I was planning on maintanking Hodir in Ulduar with a Death Knight in full Frost resist as an OT. I was thinking another Mitigation CD such as imp lay on hand could be worthwhile. Oh and WTF where is our glyph of divine protection to give it a 1 minute CD

Also here is a link of a Saph fight that I MT..Its pretty cool because you can see the air phases and the 969 rotation very clearly. The air phases also lowers my overall TPS quite significantly....Besides the one rotation error I had.
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... #realtime5
Dorvan
Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:19 pm
Well, your phrasing of "worthless" evoked the responses you got. Obviously it's not worthless. Certainly an Imp LoH spec is the main alternative to a 0/53/18 spec, but I see Imp LoH as fairly expensive at 7 talent points. If threat turns out to be a non-issue and Imp LoH looks like it'll be very helpful, I could see going that route, but a priori 0/53/18 seems like it gets you more bang for your buck.
Regan
Wed Mar 04, 2009 1:07 am
3% more threat (some more with the points in conviction) = 2 more seconds the new HoS glyph can tick.


(probably faulty math, but you get the idea, threat is good now)
Anacharial
Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:20 pm
Specced 0/53/18 for as long as I could.

Awesome threat and damage. :D

Very good for PuG raids as you get a e-peen the damage meters :D
Akairos
Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:52 pm
I'm already specced for crusade.
When 3.0 comes and you all spec it, I will reference this post to let everyone know I was cool before it became commonplace.
KysenMurrin
Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:02 pm
You gave up 6% spell damage mitigation for it, and part of Ardent Defender. There's a bit of a difference between speccing for it now (give up tanking talents) and in 3.1 (have the points to spare).

You also took Benediction instead of Conviction, which is weird in a threat build.
Akairos
Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:13 pm
KysenMurrin wrote:You gave up 6% spell damage mitigation for it, and part of Ardent Defender. There's a bit of a difference between speccing for it now (give up tanking talents) and in 3.1 (have the points to spare).

You also took Benediction instead of Conviction, which is weird in a threat build.

I'm leaving sartharion+anything out of any argument I might try to rebut with, as most other content is trivial as it stands and 1 gimmicky fight is not a good bench marker for the effectiveness of a talent build or gear set up.
I do however concede to the power of spell mitigation and AD when doing sarth+3 attempts as an add tank, I will say that.
5/5 AD hardly make/breaks something as the only time you are below 35%, usually the boss will kill you anyhow, 1 point out of it is no biggie.
I could put the point's in conviction, 2% crit is really not much of a help either when my own crit is abysmal, I can try it out I guess. :<
In current content there are few needs for the mitigation
. malygos does big magic damage, I specced GBtL for progression kills, he is now on farm.
. Sarth
. Kel'thuzad single target frostbolt is debatable, but it should be interrupted every time.
. Gothik can kill you if you somehow get like 7+ debuff stacks on you
. Grand Widow's rain of fire?
theckhd
Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:17 am
/brokenrecord

0/5x/18 with 3/3 Crusade is the highest-threat build we can get without dropping to 0/51/20 and giving up core tanking talents.

I expect to see a lot of 0/5x/18 specced paladins once 3.1 comes out.
Dorvan
Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:36 am
Akairos wrote:I'm already specced for crusade.
When 3.0 comes and you all spec it, I will reference this post to let everyone know I was cool before it became commonplace.


The fact that it's a good spec once changes are made to the talent trees doesn't make it a good spec now, anymore than Paladin tanks who insisted on using King's Defender all the time were "ahead of the curve" because Tankadins now use melee tank weapons.