Skip to content
Maintankadin

Popularity - Its in the spec! 5/60/6

DeadMilliken
Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:52 am

Popularity - Its in the spec! 5/60/6

Something interesting to consider:

This is the most popular spec of all prot paladins in the US / EU armories.

4x more paladins use it than the next closest spec (346)

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=paladin-050000000000000000000000001450053520310251533312321501000000000000000000000000

So, whatcha think Smile

Personally I think the masses have very good taste even if my tastes differ. Its also really good to see that Maintankadin theorycrafting was successfully disseminated to the masses as 4 out of 10 of the most popular specs including #1 and #2 put 1/2 in Imp judgement Smile

(*Stats based off armory crawls of the US and EU, original data from here
http://armory-musings.appspot.com/class/Paladin/Protection)
Valerius
Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:38 am
I was this spec for a quite a while when when I first hit 80. If you look at it, it has all of the best mitigation/avoidance talents, 1/2 Imp. Judgments for the 969 rotation and Seals of the Pure for extra threat/damage which is better than Conviction. Frankly it seems to me that this or something very close to it going to be the default spec for Main Tank Pallies.

The only thing I can see that is really not a MT talent is Divine Guardian, but it is incredibly cool and has personally saved my party/raid from wipe at least 3 times that I can recall off the top of my head.
Doktah
Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:41 am
I still prefer my spec over that one even if I have 5 or so points wasted in benediction.
_________________
skrith2
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:38 pm
I found that if I take this build I -never- get kings.

So now I refuse to spec into kings simply because its the only way I can guarantee that it gets cast on me.

My current build is a little low on AOE threat now that everyones pushing 2500+ DPS, and since I run with mostly melee AOE'ers (dk/pally/war) I'm playing around with a 3/56/12 build of sorts where I'm still pushing around 4 points in ret that I'm not really sure what to do with.
_________________
Invisusira
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:45 pm
The presence of DG makes me think that's an OT spec, and also makes me wonder why that many pallys are spec'ing that way.

Here's my spec atm:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZaxVA0uMteIRGoEo00b
And once DPS gear starts getting anywhere remotely near my threat generation, I'll drop Kings (I rarely buff it, I have 1-3 other pallys in the raid that generally have it) for Seals of the Pure.
_________________
armory | youtube | pally stole my bike
Chunes
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:45 pm
I'm considering going to this spec from my current spec simply because I like to have kings guaranteed.

30sec HoJ is lackluster in the face of the exorcism glyph at present and -30% duration of fear/disorient is not really cool either in the instances at hand.

Oh well.
_________________
Thornir
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:49 pm
Hey, that's my spec!

I like what Valerius said, though. This is the Default for Pally Tanks now. Most of the time the only way people spec away from this is to grab Imp HoJ or PoJ in the ret tree, whilst doing away with kings.

PS: Invis, you can't drop Kings. You wouldn't have enough points to spec lower in the Prot tree.

Reason why you're screwed:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sVZ0xVA0uZEo00b
_________________
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir
Fizzgig
Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:51 pm
I mt almost all of the fights so this is basically my build save my 2 points are in imp HoJ instead of that crazy good ot skills Wink
_________________
yakko
Fri Dec 19, 2008 2:19 pm
well, you get more than enough mana from BoSanc and SA, so no need for lowering mana costs

in my opininon 5 points in the holy tree are wasted, i prefer taking poj.
Fenira
Fri Dec 19, 2008 4:57 pm
I have that spec too, I'm getting sick of everyone asking me for KINGS, so i might spec into it, does anyone know a good king prot spec? Surprised