Skip to content
Maintankadin

Dropping Reckoning to Fear Dance Nightbane and Extra Threat

Demiblade
Wed Aug 22, 2007 7:09 pm

Dropping Reckoning to Fear Dance Nightbane and Extra Threat

* Spec
0/46/15

* Name
The Fear Breaker

* Link
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qZVGtIx0dMgqzVfx
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/paladin/talents.html?0000000000000000000005325133500021025215010523500000000000000000

* Changes from Vanilla 0/49/12
- Dropped Reckoning
- Gained Guardian's Favor
- Gained Improved SotCrusader

* Pros
1. 2 mins shorter cooldown on BoP to fear dance.
2. Extra consistant threat from holy damage.

* Cons
1. Less DPS when soloing
2. Less burst threat from reckoning procs

* Reasoning
Guardian's Favor
I respeced to this last night since I was assigned to MT all kara. I felt the urgent need to handle fear without relying on fear ward or tremor totem as a serious MT. This might be even more useful for our horde paladin brothers. Although I use the PvP trinket and divine shield macro to break fear as well, 2min earlier BoP just makes things a lot simpler. This will make sure you will still down him even if 1 or 2 of your DPS dies halfway, DPS becomes really slow, and you need to fear break more than 3 times per phase. In summary, this spec just gives more room for error overall.

Reckoning
I decided it is time for me to drop reckoning also since it is starting to proc very seldom as I gear up beyond uncrushability. I also find that as a tank it is good to have more predictable threat that DPS can work with comfortably as opposed to burst threat that might not proc (90% chance) when you need it badly. TPS lost from reckoning will be compensated by Improved SotCrusader with just 3 talent points.

Improved SotCrusader
As a MT, I am getting healed more and having less mana problems. I was an OT and I had to judge wisdom sometimes. Now I can judge crusader full time and make better use of holy damage threat multiplier from my righteous fury. This will also scale better with SoV buff in 2.2.

Weapon Expertise
As a human, I already have +5 to swords and do not find pressing needs to have this talent. And my main reason of dropping reckoning was to handle fear more effectively anyways.

I tried not to sway away too much from the vanilla prot build because I want my mitigation talents intact. Feedback would be appreciated!


P.S. Let me know if you need a ready-made toggle macro that BoP self if you are not already BoPed, and dismiss BoP if you are already BoPed. Pressing it just before Nightbane finish casting fear, and again after his casting finished makes you immune to fear. It works just like a warrior's fear dance macro. I don't have it on this laptop right now, but I can post it from my PC.


Macro Update
Use the Macros below to dance. Replace Demiblade with your own character name. Make sure both macros and the PvP trinket are hot keyed. You don't want to fumble around your action bar looking for it as Nightbane eats your healers.

BoP Dance
#show Blessing of Protection;
/cancelaura Blessing of Protection;
/cast [help] Blessing of Protection; [target=Demiblade,help] Blessing of Protection;

Divine Shield Dance
#show Divine Shield;
/cancelaura Divine Shield;
/cast Divine Shield;


Instant Aggro Grab (Optional)
Sometimes, leaving the bubble on too long without cancelling could lead to Nightbane running lose. Use this macro for an aggro spike and get him back on you instantly if he ever looks away. Works great if you are slow with judging or exorcising after bubble dance.

/stopcasting
/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cancelaura Blessing of Protection
/cast Judgement
/stopcasting
/cast Exorcism

E.g., bind this to K key to use after every dance (Don't ask why, just map your other original keys to ctrl-K or something. I just find those easiest to press when my left hand is busy with 1234 for threat building.). If your BoP macro is H, DS macro is G, and trinket is I, your fear break sequence will be --

Bellowing Roar = Fear, 2.5 sec cast time, 30 sec cooldown

A. [5min CD]. <fear cast starts> G <fear cast ends> K

(You will sometimes still have forbearance on you and can't do BoP dance just yet based on how fast the DPS is. So just play safe and keep your finger on trinket key.)

B. [2min CD]. <fear cast starts> <fear cast ends> I K
C. [3min CD]. <fear cast starts> H <fear cast ends> K

Repeat as necessary based on your cooldowns. Happy farming Nightbane fellow paladins.
_________________
Jadlene
Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:04 pm
I think for completeness sake you should post the macro in your post as well. All in all a great source of information for paladin tanks having nightbane issues.
_________________
Thels
Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:44 am
Also keep in mind, the trinket has a 2 minute cooldown, while bubble and bop have 4 and 3 minutes respectively. Use the shorter ones first, as they'll be up faster again. An ideal progression would be:

Trinket > BoP > Trinket > Bubble > Trinket > BoP

etc... But that's hoping you don't get feared more than twice per two minutes. You might or might not get lucky.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Magnusharkov
Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:19 am
OT question from someone who's never done any PvP before.

How much work is it to get the PvP trinket?
_________________
adese
Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:18 am
It really depends on how much you PvP.

Personally, I tend to only PvP some on the weekends, generally only in the BG that gets double honor that weekend. The trinket costs 16k honor, and I would generally get anywhere from 1-3k honor per weekend. I would only PvP if I had nothing else to do - if I were to PvP "full time" (or at least during the holidays), I probably could have gotten it sooner, but I generally enjoy PvE more than PvP...but that's just me.

I've seen people get 10k+ honor per day, but I assume those are hard core PvPers. In theory, you could get it in 1-2 days, but that would require doing a ton of PvP, which many people (myself included) aren't really up for.
_________________
Magnusharkov
Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:22 am
ok thanks, I don't think I'll bother picking it up just yet then!
_________________
Aessina
Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:51 am
I ground out the trinket in one AV weekend. I probably spent close to 8-10 hours on it.
_________________
Demiblade
Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:41 am
I added the macros to original post. Get the 5mins cooldown trinket for ~3k first until you have ~17k for 2mins version. You can down nightbane with 5mins trinket if your BoP is talented to 3mins cooldown. That is one of the reasons why I came up with this build at the first place. You will be fine unless your team DPS is really very slow. You should be feared about 2 times per ground phase only.

My preference is to use the longest cooldown one first for long term safety. Since I have 2 other fear breaks ready during 5 mins cooldown of my divine shield, I want my DS to be up and ready again for the 4th fear. If DS is already up for 4th fear, you are safe till boss is down.

DS > BoP > Trinket > and so on
_________________
Sabindeus
Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:17 am
I don't have Guardian's Favor and I fear dance Nightbane just fine.
_________________