Here is the spec I am working on:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=szZaxVAbuRteIRGoxs
As I understand it there are 6 questionable points I've used: 3 in HotC, 2 in DG, 1 in Reckoning.
My situation is that I'm in a guild of 9 personal friends. We have a mix, but most are fairly casual when it comes to raiding. At the moment we have mage, bm hunter, fury warrior, prot warrior, resto druid, resto shaman, enhance shaman, rogue, and me. There are also some high-level alts but I think what I've listed will be our core raiding group. We plan to do heroics and 10-man raids (I realize that 9 < 10, but so it goes). When doing those instances and raids we intend not to use guides or spoilers of any kind. I will probably be off-tanking in raids and tanking heroics. I'll also be pugging heroics, and maybe some raids (the wintergrasp raid, for instance).
Given all that here's my reasoning for spending the points I did, and the questions I have:
1/5 reckoning: Basically a convenience point. I know people hate reckoning, but it's helpful when aoe farming. Question: Will this help me when chain-pulling, or am I already going to be well-supplied with mana due to damage? Here I'm not talking about raids or heroics, but more like rep-farming or getting friends through regular dungeons quickly. If I took this point away, where should I put it (probably sotp)?
3/3 hotc: Some threat benefit, but primarily taken for the raid-wide dps boost. Since we have no ret pally, and I won't be tanking most raid bosses, this seems like a good choice. And my understanding is that it's not terribly much worse than sotp for tanking heroics. Question: Is this a significant group benefit? Is there a better alternative I've missed? How does this affect my personal dps vs sotp?
2/2 dg: Since we aren't using guides and generally try things well above our gear and preparation level, we can expect to wipe a lot. My theory with these points is that as an off-tank dg allows me to keep the raid in the fight longer, so we can solve the encounters in fewer tries. Also we have some inexperienced players, so I see dg as a general-purpose mistake recovery talent. Does this make sense? Am I right that dg + hand of sacrifice results in a total 60% damage reduction on the target?
There are a few alternatives I can see. One would be just dumping those points and putting them into sotp for threat. Generally I'm not anticipating threat-capping the dps as a major factor, so for the above reasons I think these points are better spent. Another would be to ditch sotp and reckoning and get imp might for times when I'm not with either warrior (will happen in heroics frequently). That doesn't really impress me much, since occasions when I have neither warrior but still want to put blessing of might on people will be somewhat rare.
How else could I spend those floating points to optimize for my situation? What else could I do with that one sotp that would be helpful? Ultimately I doubt it matters all that much, but it's fun to think about anyway.
_________________
Elrys - 75/???/Auchindoun
Elrys
Wed Dec 03, 2008 8:15 am


