Skip to content
Maintankadin

Lag Suckage--looking at 2/2 Imp Judgement

kylone
Sun Nov 30, 2008 12:13 am

Lag Suckage--looking at 2/2 Imp Judgement

I'm playing on a North American server while being overseas in 'SW Asia' (better known as the Middle East), on public wi-fi.
Well, when I eventually get back to the states, I don't think I'll ever complain about lag ever again.
The lag (averages around 1000ms, with lag spikes into DC territory not uncommon) is significant enough that it throws my rotation off, now that i've hit 75. You don't really notice it with 250ms or less lag, but GCDs are based on your client (read: your computer), while timed CDs are based on the server, and thus start @ click + lag time.
I'm seriously thinking about removing Consecration from the rotation for small pulls, and talenting into 2/2 Improved Judgement.
    That is, my rotation becomes:
    Holy Shield, Hammer of the Righteous, Judgement of Light, Shield of Righteousness -- rinse, repeat.

I'll level to 76 to put the last point into Kings (yes, there are a bunch of pallies in the guild, and we haven't really hammmered out Raid roles yet, so I bit the bullet--I think I'm unique in my guild for leveling as Prot), and then put the 2nd point into Imp Judgement. As for the last three, I'm toying with the idea of Reckoning, just to have a proc to enjoy.
_________________
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
Panzerdin
Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:21 am
You're not going to be able to tank effectively in raids with that much lag. I would advise you to go ret, since you can afford lag there, but your raid can ill afford a tank DCing or being killed (Grobbulus cloud, Heigan dance, etc.).
kylone
Sun Nov 30, 2008 4:43 am
This is true--except there's a group of 10 of us playing over here, and we wanna down naxx 10-man Razz
_________________
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
Panzerdin
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:40 am
Someone else can tank?
Levantine
Sun Nov 30, 2008 7:43 am
Basically what we're saying is you will not be able to tank well with that much lag. There are manymanymany things that require quick situational awareness that you just will not have.
_________________

Rinforce | Rinforze
Majiben
Sun Nov 30, 2008 2:18 pm
I normally run between 200-300 ms lag, some people feel that is terrible but I know as soon as I get into the 500 ms range I can't tank effectively, I couldn't even save a healer from a lose mob with such dulled reaction times.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Majiben
Mon Dec 01, 2008 5:33 pm
Ehehe we 4 manned Heigan for a good 20 minutes in the 10 man naxx. Was a Prot warrior tanking (more experienced with the fight and slightly better geared), me off dpsing, a Warlock and a resto druid. The druid was unlucky on one of the dance phases and we finally went down Sad. Worst part was it 2 minutes till SS came off CD and 4 minutes till BR was off CD.

One piece of advice, during phase 1 have your melee dps from the front because the tank may out of the erruption but the boss may not be.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
kylone
Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:20 am
I mamaged to leave to much implied. Embarassed
Basically, theres about 10 players that have WoTLK out here, and we want to run (10-man) Naxx together. The issue is lag. Essentially, the best we can hope for is about 500ms lag, and 1k not being uncommon. This'll include everyone: tanks, healers, and dps.
Yes, we are nuts, but we're a long ways from home and still wanna play. Wink
So, we're essintally dealing with everyone haveing a slow reaction time, and adhusting play accordingly. I understand that a lot of the content in BC is completely unplayable like this, as split secomd reaction is rather the norm, but with everyone saying "Naxx is easy", I'm hopeful. I'm wondering if you guys have any ideas to help out, besides "Don't try."
If not, that's cool too. I'll pass along how it goes.
_________________
Lv 70 Human Paladin Mythi, Emerald Dream
LV 75 Blood Elf Paladin Miere, Lightning Hoof
(deployed, but squeezing out time on 'public' wifi)
Thels
Tue Dec 02, 2008 1:00 am
Well, that changes the topic a bit. If it was just you lagging, you'd be holding the raid back with your will to tank. If everyone lags like that... Well, you can always try, but you won't be able to pull any quick actions to save the day.

Good luck nonetheless!
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin