Skip to content
Maintankadin

reckoning dps potential

Ascendant
Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:50 am

reckoning dps potential

looking at reckoning versus seals of the pure. Threat is not an issue so I want to choose the talent that will produce the largest dps gain.

anybody have an idea of how these two compare for damage?
Ascendant
Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:52 am
ah my first double post, still don't quite understand how it happens.
Majiben
Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:32 am
Seals of the pure pretty much ties with reckoning for dps with optimal conditions given to reckoning (less in reality). Of course SotP wins in threat. Additionally reckoning only works when being struckk so it adds nothing to an OT/off dps position where SotP still works.


Reguarding double posts they occur when server lag annoys you enough to click the submit/post button multiple times sending extra signals. You can delete these inadvertent posts by clicking the X in the top right corner of the post if no one else has posted after you. I suggest you try it out on the duplicate thread you made.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
Promdates
Wed Nov 26, 2008 3:08 pm
Reckoning, is very situational. Really good for AoE situations where multiple mobs are hitting on you, causing a high chance to proc the buff. For single tanking bosses, it's slightly marginal.

I currently run with 4/5 Reckoning, mostly because we bring 4-6 Paladins per 25 man raid (we still only have 2 mages and 1 lock at 80... full of fail), so kings is pretty well taken care of. I disliked DG in beta, and at this point still prefer to have the ability to hit Bubble Shield when I like, so I dont use it. Not to mention, I'm always tanking.

That being said, here's some stats from last week's raids.

Straight "tank and spank" from my point of view fights.

Loatheb (I had the buff twice I believe, getting the buff isn't the end of the world btw, you generate 0 threat, but by the time you prob end up getting it, you're about 600-700k threat ahead.)
6:56 Fight Length
0:31 Uptime
7.6% Uptime Percentage
Gained 6 times

Heigan
5:59 Fight Length
0:33 Uptime
9.20% Uptime Percentage
Gained 5 times

Grobbulus
6:19 Fight Length
0:54 Uptime
14.20% Uptime Percentage
Gained 8 times

Patchwerk
5:36 Fight Length
1:12 Uptime
21.50% Uptime Percentage
Gained 12 times.

So basically, the faster the boss hits you, the better it is. Just remember that it is "marginal" extra attacks. My average hit on PW was 667, with SoV doing 10. That's an additional 32,016 damage from white hits, and another 480 from SoV. This is also dependant on it not critting.

Your milage may vary.
_________________
Thels
Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:55 am
I think the idea is that you pop it to reduce damage on raid damage moments, meaning Forebearance is activated, preventing yourself from bubblewalling for the next few minutes.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Majiben
Thu Nov 27, 2008 5:59 am
DG still isn't preventing you from saving DP if you find DP to be more powerful than DS+DG on that encounter.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC
rodos
Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:23 pm
There are also bosses that stop their regular attack on the tank to channel raid damage (Hex Lord does this iirc, as does overloaded Vexallus) and also of course the ones with non-standard agro rules such as Aran, or Netherspite.

I still haven't started lvl 80 raiding, so I don't know if there are any fights with this type of mechanic, but at least for 10-man I think DG is going to be a great tallent. In BC we ran 10-mans with 2 tanks and used people according to their utility. If there's a fight where DG helps, I'll go OT or OH and use it.
_________________
Girard-eredar
Tue Dec 02, 2008 11:52 pm
Promdates, are you thinking that DP activates DG? Cuase it doesn't if that's what you are worried about.
_________________
Thels
Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:03 am
The problem is that, in order for the talent to become useful, you need to bubble when the raid is getting a lot of damage.

As a tank, you probably would easily survive raid damage, and basically activated Forebearance without the need to save yourself, but preventing you from bubblewalling for the next 3 minutes.

If you don't actually pop the bubble to gain the max advantage from this talent, then the talent most likely won't pull the usefulness of it's 2 talent points.

Then again, if you can bubble, then you're probably not tanking anything at that very moment, so you could probably risk it.

It's a utility talent. Some people like it, others don't. Your build can work fine without it, but also work just fine with it.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin