Skip to content
Maintankadin

The Steamvault destroys my tankadin

John Ra
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:22 am

The Steamvault destroys my tankadin

Never before have I had such problems with mobs as with the giant, nasty, bog elites in SV. They were three-shotting me, and my team ended up having to replace me. Prior to this, I was moving through Coilfang and Auchindaun dungeons with ease.

Two nights ago, I got so disheartened by that incident that I respecced to Holy. I did this for other reasons, as well, like how powerful healadins are in raids and PVP, but yeah... I couldn't handle it though. I've been Prot ever since level 40, and I can't do anything else. Healing bores the be-jesus out of me too. I specced back lastnight but am slightly afraid to venture back into level 70 5-mans.

I'll be honest though, I just dinged to 70 last week, so I'm fairly new to endgame 5-man instances, and like most requirements for tanking a dungeon, I should be mid to high in level to succeed, as opposed to healers or DPS, who can be lower.

Therefore, since most of my items are greens "of the Champion," maybe I'm not strong enough yet? You be the judge. I'm 25% short of uncrushable and a little worried about that. Am I doing everything right? Should I be focusing on something else besides Champion gear to raise this?

http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mal%27Ganis&n=Genitorturer

One note about my spec: I use that Spiritual Focus talent in the Holy tree mainly for soloing. Being able to heal myself in combat with only 30% of interruption is nice, and I've used it during tough boss fights too. Also, I switch between 3 different sets of gear: Soloing (spell damage), Healing and Tanking (defense rating), and I was in a hurry to log off lastnight, so some of that gear might still be part of the other two sets.

Anyway...

I think I screwed up and disenchanted some of the green items that are on the gear list, but only one or two. What I want to do is get my Righteous set and move towards Heroics or Raids from there. Do you have any strategies for getting gear? Are Botanica and Mechanar pretty easy on green gear tankadins? Maybe I should run some 66-69 instances to build up my gear for the last big three level 70 instances? I'm in no hurry right now; I used to be, but I'm not anymore...
Ulushnar
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:35 am
I've definately tanked the Steamvault with less stats than you. Smile I'd be tempted to say that your deaths were the fault of the healers. The Elite Giants do hit hard, but if your healer's on the ball they shouldn't have a problem keeping you up.

You can't be crushed by anything that isn't lvl 73 or higher. Therefore, practically, Crushing Blows are only a concern in raids. You've got 490 Defense, which is more than enough to be uncrittable as well (you only need 485 to tank five-mans and heroics).

Your stamina and armor are a little low. You can deal with the former by getting some stamina gems for your blue pieces (Solid Stars of Elune if you can, or Solid Azure Moonstones if cash is tight) They're all really good and will probably be with you into Karazhan. The latter's just a matter of gearing up.
_________________
http://www.wulfsblood.com - Wow Blog

Guillex
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:40 am
First off... You have 6 ungemmed items. That = +72 stam that you don't have, which will help you GREATLY.

The +spirit on your chest is useless... Tanking or solo. +6 to all stats or +150 health.

You don't have KoT rep yet, which is good in a sense. Start running durnholde and BM (you have to anyways for your Kara key) to get revered for the Timewarden's Leggings, Continuum Blade, and Glyph of the Defender.

Grind out more rep with Cenarion Expedition for the Strength of the Untamed.

For most other things, check out http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=163 this topic in the Advanced Training forum. It goes into detail about all the gear that you should get for 5mans and Raiding, before hitting Karazhan. Things like the Warchief's Mantle (Old Hillsbrad quest) or Shoulderguards of the Bold. Easily accessible upgrades through quests and rep grinding instances.
_________________

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."
-Verbal Kint
Tranzity
Thu Aug 16, 2007 7:41 am
You can skip the Giants.
_________________
John Ra
Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:05 am
Well, lastnight I tried my second attempt on SV annnd...

0 wipes
0 deaths (well, we had 2 deaths on the first boss because people weren't moving away from the thunderstorms)
0 loss of aggro

Thanks a lot for the advice that helped me respec back from Holy to my beloved Protection.
_________________
Flex
Fri Aug 17, 2007 6:11 am
quest Netherstorm. Replace your "of the Champion" drops with those tanking pieces.
_________________