Rhiannon wrote:Sure, but in your talent breakdown you don't mention that it buffs WoG, just the damaging abilities. Ofc someone could just mouseover the link and see it for themselves.
Oh. Oops. I've added a sentence to reflect that.
econ21 wrote:I'm very reluctant to give up Hallowed Ground and Grand Crusader, as they beef up two of our "signature" abilities and because I think they will be more useful in AOE situations than might be thought from the graph of single target dps. Assessing AS and Consecration from a single target point of view seems rather like measuring the running speed of a sea lion. I'd be interested to see what the graph looks like when considering three targets rather than one. And maybe considering a "with consecration" simulation for Hallowed Ground against a "without consecration" one for without those talents. As I can't see anyone being able to gogogo through a Wotlk 5 man using consecration often without the Hallowed Ground talents. I fear Hallowed Ground may still be weak, but would like to see the numbers.
My current thinking is to forgo the WoG talents to make room for the above and 5 points in ret. I think WoG will come into play more in Cataclysm when mobs hit harder, than when outgearing 5-mans and ICC normal (I don't do heroic raids).
For AoE situations, Grand Crusader (with UNGLYPHED Avenger's Shield) and Hallowed Ground will both be decent DPS increases, and Hallowed Ground's mana reduction may become important for being able to keep casting anything else. If all you'll be doing is Herioc dungeons, then dropping the WoG talents to pick up HG is a reasonable choice. I'll try and emphasize this more in the guide.
That said, keep in mind that WoG is currently our only aoe threat finisher, so you might be casting it more than you think in heroics.
mclem wrote:It's struck me that you only need 2 points in SotT to get AS's CD down to a level (18s) where you ought to be able to mix it in to every other 3-HP chain reliably. Is there any optional talent in the prot tree that proves better TPS than the 2:20 -> 2:00 CD on AW change? The thought has crossed my mind that, given most fight lengths are in the 5/6 minute range, you'd be looking at three wings periods in each fight whether or not you had that third point.
I'm speaking strictly from a levelling point of view, I appreciate that GAnK CD reduction at 85 will be a huge boost.
At 80, it's certainly possible to drop one point out of SotT and still maintain AS. Whether the 20-second reduction of AW's cooldown is a bigger DPS increase than other threat talents is tough to say, if you're pulling 8k dps then that talent point should be roughly 130 DPS (20% of 8k is 1.6k, the talent point increases AW uptime from 25% to 33%, 1600*(0.333-0.25)=133). That puts it behind SD and WotL, but ahead of everything else. However, it also requires that you're diligent about popping wings on cooldown, and as you said, it doesn't take into account discretization (if you get 3 AW casts off in a fight either way, it's gained you 0 dps).
I'm not sure how much I want to dwell on this topic in the guide. It's bordering on what I'd consider an "advanced topic." I might add a note that "At 80, you really only need 2 points in this because GAnK is irrelevant, so feel free to move that point somewhere more useful until 85."
