Skip to content
Maintankadin

Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Igrado
Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

can you add more space/pad below signatures? Maybe I just haven't adjusted to the new look, but sometimes a thread just looks like a wall of text with a few distracting images (sigs + avatars) thrown in.

-- nevermind, I lowered the contrast level on my screen from "100" to "75" and can now see the background shades that alternate to differentiate one post from the next.
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:34 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

WATERBOYsh wrote:A couple of suggestions that I don't know if they can be done easily or not.

1) Where the page numbers are in a thread, there needs to be a next and previous button. The number buttons are small and sometimes its hard to see what number your at to click the next number.
2) if I'm on page 1 of a 412 page thread and want to get to page 150, I have to click through 3 pages at a time to get there. Can there be a "go to page" label with a textbox and a go button somewhere maybe?


there is a next/prev button...
Igrado
Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

WATERBOYsh wrote:A couple of suggestions that I don't know if they can be done easily or not.

1) Where the page numbers are in a thread, there needs to be a next and previous button. The number buttons are small and sometimes its hard to see what number your at to click the next number.
2) if I'm on page 1 of a 412 page thread and want to get to page 150, I have to click through 3 pages at a time to get there. Can there be a "go to page" label with a textbox and a go button somewhere maybe?


WATERBOY : I agree, this was the case with the previous setup too. What you can do (as a work-around) is manually change the URL up in the address bar. There are 15 posts per page (at least on default settings.) For example

1) go to http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1749&start=15 -- this is the second page of this topic
2) Up in the address bar, at the end, delete "15"
3) Replace it with "90", so the bar looks like this http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1749&start=90
4) Press enter
5) BOOM! You just jumped to sheet 7!
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 25, 2009 3:37 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Igrado wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:
WATERBOYsh wrote:A couple of suggestions that I don't know if they can be done easily or not.

1) Where the page numbers are in a thread, there needs to be a next and previous button. The number buttons are small and sometimes its hard to see what number your at to click the next number.
2) if I'm on page 1 of a 412 page thread and want to get to page 150, I have to click through 3 pages at a time to get there. Can there be a "go to page" label with a textbox and a go button somewhere maybe?


there is a next/prev button...


I believe that was his point though, he can only skip 1,2,or 3 pages at a time, there's currently no way to skip 4or more pages at a time


That was request #2, I was answering #1.
WATERBOYsh
Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:50 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

yeah, I found the next button. It took me a while to find the previous button though because it appears all the way on the left side of the page, instead of immediately to the left of "next".

When I was first looking though the other day I didn't see a next button at all. It was probably the fact that it appears over the numbers instead of to the right of them, which is what I'm used to seeing on other forums.

*edit*
I may have just discovered a bug. After posting this, there was a link at the bottom of the page that said "return to test your sig" even though the previous section would have been general. After leaving the thread and coming back in though the bottom now says "return to general".

*edit2*
I tried a few times to recreate the bug and was unsuccessful. Even if it only happens every now and then its not a huge deal anyway.
Thalia
Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:06 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

If you click on the place that says "Page 1 of ?" you will get an option to type the page number you want to go to... it works well.
Ocin
Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

love the new functionality...great job

can you add a feature that tells you how many people you've pissed off daily?
:wink:
Guillex
Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:26 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

WATERBOYsh wrote:yeah, I found the next button. It took me a while to find the previous button though because it appears all the way on the left side of the page, instead of immediately to the left of "next".

When I was first looking though the other day I didn't see a next button at all. It was probably the fact that it appears over the numbers instead of to the right of them, which is what I'm used to seeing on other forums.

*edit*
I may have just discovered a bug. After posting this, there was a link at the bottom of the page that said "return to test your sig" even though the previous section would have been general. After leaving the thread and coming back in though the bottom now says "return to general".

*edit2*
I tried a few times to recreate the bug and was unsuccessful. Even if it only happens every now and then its not a huge deal anyway.


I believe that's caused by the fact that it's a Global Announcement.
fafhrd
Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:02 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Absolute best thing of the upgrade so far: the weird caching problem (I tried to fix this many times) that made the "show first unread post" link on threads only update for me when I started a new browser session (so basically once per day per thread) is now gone - now i can click that link and always have it work, instead of just being sent to the first post I hadn't read this morning.
Knaughty
Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:59 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

New layout is driving me round the twist. I'm wondering if either of the following are planned:

• Lose the grey/white/grey/white post splitting. Strongly prefer a dark line between posts. This one is especially bad when there are large quote blocks in a small post - see Guillex's post a few up from this one.

• Avatar column back on the left. Personal preference.
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Knaughty wrote:New layout is driving me round the twist. I'm wondering if either of the following are planned:

• Avatar column back on the left.
• Lose the grey/white/grey/white post splitting.


Personally I am indifferent to the avatar positioning. I think the alternating post bgcolor is good and I like it.
Knaughty
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Sabindeus wrote:I think the alternating post bgcolor is good and I like it.

It's terrible because one of the colours is white, and the surrounding box is also white, so the post boundary is poorly defined.
Knaughty
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:05 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

SRS:

Look at the three posts above this one. Sab's post looks like a quote in my post.

Minor Quibble: Alternating colour also breaks my avatar background.
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:07 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Knaughty wrote:SRS:

Look at the three posts above this one. Sab's post looks like a quote in my post.


Um

I'm not seeing it, sorry.
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:12 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

This might be because the height of my browser window is such that I can only viably see 2 posts at a time, but even at home where I have a higher resolution monitor I don't have this issue. I think you just need to get used to it.