Trash - Prioritizing stats

Winterchill, Anetheron, Kaz'rogal, Azgalor, Archimonde

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Bryne » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:53 pm

Your DPS must be awfully slow. I've never had a broken (or even yellow) shield in a full clear, and if you wipe you can simply repair outside.

To the OP: When you start, you'll want to prioritize stats like block value/rating, stam, effective health stuff. As your gear (and your healers and DPS) gets better, you'll want to start prioritizing spell damage.
Bryne

Postby Dorvan » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:20 pm

Bryne wrote:Your DPS must be awfully slow. I've never had a broken (or even yellow) shield in a full clear, and if you wipe you can simply repair outside.

To the OP: When you start, you'll want to prioritize stats like block value/rating, stam, effective health stuff. As your gear (and your healers and DPS) gets better, you'll want to start prioritizing spell damage.

I know about the repair guy, the first time it happened it just didn't occur to me that I ought to be sure to repair after just one death. My bet is that the issue has a lot to do with what kind of gear set up you run. I go heavy block/+dam, to the tune of 800 BV and 34% block. Even though it seems odd, that difference in block % could add up to a significant difference in durability over the course of a couple of hours of AoE trash.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Thu Feb 28, 2008 3:17 pm

I actually always have shield at 20% or less if we don't wipe when we get to Archimonde.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby strydaris » Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:30 pm

I have had a few occasions where I had broke my shield by the time we were at Az. What I found is that if I stacked my block value / rating set then most likely I would have my shield close to breaking, but if I used my normal tanking set which is about 20% dodge 20% parry and 25% block rating then I seem to be fine.

Of course we all know this but it only makes sense. More Block rating = more blocks = more dmg taken to your shield.
strydaris

Postby enbee » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:24 pm

I just stack spelldamage these days and take a ret pally in my group, 180 consec ticks pre AW/trinkets wohoo :>, I usually end up top 5 damage counting the full hyjal run up to archi (where I swap out to go slack and get dkp for pvping on my warrior :D)
LoL, a paladin tank!
enbee

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 03, 2008 7:16 pm

Having two shields is great advice.

I have a 40% BR 700 BV set for easy pulls with fel hunters, ghouls and spiders but if I know I am going to tank two abominations I prefer more EH.

That said I personally don't think your gear setup for Hyjal matters all that much, sometimes I've been lazy and just used my "normal" tanking set and not noticed any real difference. Hyjal trash is pretty easy as a tankadin, we trivialise it completely and what gear setup you use is much of a muchness as long as you have over 400 spell damage and your fellow tanks choose their targets sensibly.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby elson » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:07 pm

First time in MH was the other day and I started with a 802 block value set leaving me somewhat gimped on health/armor etc. It was horrible, I took almost no damage, fully blocking some attacks even, which made holding aggro difficult due to mana starvation. On top of that when I did get an abom or two on me the stun made me much more vunerable to burst damage then in my normal gear.

I switched to a gearset with about 450 block value and stacking the rest of my gear with stam/armor/spell damage. Ended up tanking 4-5 aboms on one wave and was fine due to ardent defender and some good heals.

Really don't think that high block value/low health is the way to go, at least on rage's trash. Not sure if other boss's trash hits harder but the block value set I had worked to hard to make ended up being a liability there.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby Worldie » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:01 pm

High Block value + high armor stam is the way to go.

I run with 20k buffed HP and 993 block value, pure win :>
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Seloei » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:52 pm

Some here praise block value sets, some praise avoidance sets. Which ones better ><

Currently using a BV set (800-850'sh) pre trinkets but after reading the replies here... considering redoing it and swaping into the avoidance gear instead?

Quite often on a pull, i get 2-3 knockbacks in a row and die fast, so the locks soulstone me so i can recover/get agg back before they go rampant. Would a 52% avoidance set with 15.4k be better than a 13.5k and 800'sh block set for the first 3 "boss trash" waves?
Seloei

Postby Worldie » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:53 pm

Actually, the one that suites you best.

Worldie
Global Mod

Postby elson » Sat Apr 05, 2008 3:05 pm

Worldie wrote:Actually, the one that suites you best.

Aye, If I had 20k+ health buffed in my block value set I'd change my view on high BV and just tank more stuff. I just loose too much health/armor atm.
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ll&n=Elson
elson

Postby Warheit » Mon Apr 07, 2008 4:09 pm

went in there the first time with 750 block value and around 500 spell dmg. 14.5k hp unbuffed, 5k mana unbuffed.

i was just oom all the time.

traded stats in, dusted off things like boots of hte protector.

traded off around 100 block value n 500 hp for more armor, higher mana pull, more block rating, and more spell damage, and i've been loving it ever since. with that change and no longer casting holy shield cept for the beginning once, my mana stays up alot better, and i'm still really easy to keep up.

looking forward to adding that new epic JC sta/int/spell dmg on use trinket.

it has a 2 min cooldown so its perfect for starting every pull on an even higher threat note.
Warheit

Postby Mekanikos » Tue Apr 08, 2008 2:07 pm

I just hit 20k hp buffed, and have ~576 BV. I'm going to assume that this is sufficient to tank trash in Hyjal. Now if I could convince the guild to go there. : /

The one time I did go there, we had ~10 people who were goofing off, so we started the event to see what happens... with only one healer. I decided to be the big bad tank and consecrate.

To my credit I stayed alive for ~20 seconds.
Mekanikos

Postby Lakirby » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:02 am

It's fine - I run with less BV than you and really don't have any problems on Hyjal trash. Of course, vigorous Free Action Potion abuse on abomination waves helps, but I'm sure you knew that already.
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Steg » Thu Apr 10, 2008 5:29 am

i tanked the first 2 sets of waves with 17k hp buffed and 220ish BV lol :P

I only die if my healers aren't proactive healing though.. especially when those spiders decide to bolt me before getting in my Consec... -.-

Re-active healing FTL :P

(Rage down and Anetheron at 13%)
Steg

PreviousNext

Return to Mt. Hyjal