Remove Advertisements

Selecting Gear for Tanking Magtheridon

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Selecting Gear for Tanking Magtheridon

Postby Sanguinaar » Tue Feb 26, 2008 5:35 pm

My guild started raiding 25 mans last weekend, clearing Gruul's and facing down Magtheridon. (Got him to 31% in 5-6 attempts) We made progress every attempt, and I'm sure we can get him down the next raid night or two, but I would like the proccess to be as smooth as possible...

Two of our wipes on Mag were because I died. Admittedly, both times I goofed by not keeping holy shield up and getting crushed for 11k, (I ran out of mana) but I have been thinking about swapping around some gear.

Currently I run with 18-19k raid buffed health and about 52% base avoidance. I did not have Grace of Air or any damage debuff exept Curse of Weakness on Magtheridon. (I'm going to work out buffs/debuffs for this week) I have been thinking about swapping out my Justicar Faceguard for Battleworn Tuskguard, my Ancient Aqir Artifact for Adamantine Figurine (Need defense rating to stay above 490), and my Battlescar Boots for Sabatons of the Righteous Defender. This would give me 600 extra health, about 140 block value and about 400 armour. I would lose 2p T4 bonus and 3.5% avoidance, dropping me to about 49%. Threat so far has never been an issue, so I don't think the 2p bonus is a big deal. My question is: Is it worth swapping the avoidance for the EHP bonus? Mag hits pretty hard so I'm not sure if cutting 200-300 damage off his attacks is going to do much, or if 600 health will let me survive something I wouldn't otherwise.
Sanguinaar

Postby Worldie » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:24 pm

I'd get a bit more health, 20k HP would seemb more reasonable.

EH > Avoidance on spikedamages like maghteridon's.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Re: Selecting Gear for Tanking Magtheridon

Postby Bryne » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:14 pm

Your gear is well past fine for tanking Magtheridon; it's a T4 boss. If you're wiping because you didn't keep Holy Shield up and got crushed, that's your problem, not a problem with your gear. Keep some mana potions on you (although I have no idea how you're running out of mana here).
Bryne

Postby ulushnar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 3:40 pm

Aim for 20k buffed and then stack avoidance.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Sanguinaar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Let me correct myself: one of our wipes was because I ran out of mana, preventing me from casting Holy Shield. Another time I was being retarded. As for running out of mana, well I used my max threat rotation because I didn't expect to OOM 1/4 of the way in. And I used Ironshield Potions instead of Super Mana Potions.

Otherwise, thanks for the tips. Guess I will keep farming for Maiden gloves (9 runs so far!) so I can get a bit more HP, and demand full health/avoidance buffs for our next attempts.
Sanguinaar

Postby jere » Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:31 pm

Sanguinaar wrote:Let me correct myself: one of our wipes was because I ran out of mana, preventing me from casting Holy Shield. Another time I was being retarded. As for running out of mana, well I used my max threat rotation because I didn't expect to OOM 1/4 of the way in. And I used Ironshield Potions instead of Super Mana Potions.

Otherwise, thanks for the tips. Guess I will keep farming for Maiden gloves (9 runs so far!) so I can get a bit more HP, and demand full health/avoidance buffs for our next attempts.

I would switch to JoW then on the boss (at least once you start seeing mana problems). With that up, you should always have enough mana to cast a rank 1 Holy Shield if you don't have enough for Max rank (Shoot, I think BoW would even cover the mana cost)
jere

Postby Sanguinaar » Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:18 pm

I always run JOW on bosses... I never need threat from Crusader, and recently have had a ret paladin to keep it up anyways.
Sanguinaar

Postby jere » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:28 pm

Sanguinaar wrote:I always run JOW on bosses... I never need threat from Crusader, and recently have had a ret paladin to keep it up anyways.

Then you should always have enough mana to cast a rank 1 Holy Shield, which I would do in those situations until you can pop a mana pot and dark rune.
jere

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag