Remove Advertisements

Hydross Adds

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Hydross Adds

Postby Eliane » Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:43 pm

So we're trying Hydross at the moment, and I've been assigned two adds to tank in each phase. My question is: How much frost/nature resist do I need to comfortable tank these? I feel I sort of strain my healers.

I am tanking them aldready, but I feel I need more resist gear. I have 108 frost (with aura) and 62 nature (without totem/hunter aura) while being uncrittable.
Eliane

Postby Lore » Mon Jun 18, 2007 1:54 pm

The answer to your question is "as much as you can get" so long as you stay uncrittable :P

I use around 150 of each fully buffed.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Eliane » Mon Jun 18, 2007 2:55 pm

Ok, thanks :D

I have sorted ~150 raidbuffed now, but at the cost of my HP. I also fear I'll be crittable but I will have to see tomorrow. I guess I'll have to try different combos untill I find one that works better than it did today.

I didnt die, but my healer was omplaining a bit about me taking alot of damage :?
Eliane

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:40 am

Hmm, we are trying hydross this week (skipped him since we lost one of our MTs and needed to get a new person resist gear) and my GM wanted me to have 250 buffed for both nature and frost.

So... the adds can crit Lore?
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Trevize » Tue Jun 19, 2007 10:26 am

This brings up an interesting conversation I had with our other Hydross Druid off tank. He aimed first at being uncrittable then stacked resist which put him around 150-175 of each.

I stacked resist and got 300/300 raid buffed (i know kinda crazy) with 15K health but my defense no where near 490.

Our nights in there showed my dmg taken as being 25% less then his. So even though I had a very high chance of being crit, the dmg I was taking in the long run was much much less then his.

Last night we were in there and he stacked resist gear and noticed that he was taking a lot less dmg.

I have only noticed being crit around 2 or 3 times in all of our time working on him and when I was crit it was never for over 5k.

So from my experience the adds rarely crit and even if they do, having an ass ton of resists negates much of that dmg anyway.

Let me know what you think Lore...because we are both dumbfounded a bit by the results we got.
Trevize

Postby PsiVen » Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:43 am

Once you hit I believe 238 resist, uncrittable means less because it is no longer possible to take an unresisted hit. Plus by the time a crit from an add is dangerous, that add should be dead or stunlocked.

I gathered together rather poor gear (around 150/150 unbuffed and very crittable) by our first kill, and haven't had any reason to improve it as the only time I've died on Hydross was when my healer didn't hear his assignment ;)

Remember that resistance gets better and better as you stack more of it, so work on your weakest first. 38/62 resist is almost nothing, are you only using jewelry?
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Djobe » Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:43 am

I've got a different method apparently for this encounter

I'm also assigned to tank two adds each phase but i don't put any resist gear(only aura/totem and eventually a +25 all resistances pot). In place i'm stacking dodge/parry considering that blocking is useless on this encounter.

I prefer having more sta, spell damage et inte so my dps can down adds faster (and me taking less damage) than having to count on random resists to occur

My healers don't seem to be overstressed by this method

Am I the only one taking this approach ?

PS: Hi everyone this is my first post :)
Djobe

Postby Lowgrus » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:46 am

TBH thats how I usually do it as well. They go down farely quick and all that. So I didn't worry about it plus like I said I rather have the more damage/stamina/ dodge/block/parry and such :D. It just works well that way. However I guess in the end you do take a lot more healing though by the time you've done tanked 6-7 different phases.
Lowgrus

Postby Phaex » Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:06 pm

We have 3 addtanks.

First one is a druid without resistance. His one is focus #1
Warrior takes 2nd add, me 3rd and 4th. We pull em to hydross and start AEing when add #1 is down.

I use 470 Def, which should be critimmune or very very close to it. I didn't do any math, but i've never taken a crit from them.
150 both resistances unbuffed and about 17k hp buffed. But it still can hurt alot when i take 2 unresisted hits in a row. Still very very risky what we are doing, i could die any moment -_- But it has worked every id somehow.

Get yourself some mixed craftresi gear. Enchant it, craft the 2 epic rings. That should do it.
Phaex

Postby Kvaern » Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:42 pm

Are you sure they can crit?

Dont they do 100% magic damage?
Kvaern

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:06 pm

Yes, they can crit. You don't really need to be uncrittable to tank the adds though, especially if you have lots of resists. I'd imagine the best choice for an aoe strategy would be to have a paladin wearing a ton of spell damage gear and 4 people making sure the adds got to him to pick up.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Kvaern » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:07 pm

but what are they critting you with?

Surely not elemental damage.
Kvaern

Postby Phaex » Mon Jul 09, 2007 7:49 pm

I've seen them crit with lower def, think it was 450ish.
Its double damage just like any melee attack would be.
Just the fact that they deal magic damage does not mean it is considered a spell in WoW world. Two years ago Ragnaros crushed newb rogues with fire dmg to death. Its just the same thing like it was physical damage.
But i guess resist comes before crit in calculation here. So a 75% resist crit wouldn't matter at all. The problem is, its kinda hard to rely on those resists, when you have to wear resi against two spellschools.
So a decent def is still a must imho.

I kinda like the idea to tank all 4 of them, would make things much smoother. But don't think i could obtain enough of the two resistances to do this, and still have enough spelldamage to actually tank them, not just trying to tank them :|. Guess we'll just stick to the 3 addtank strategy, why change a running system. But i'll try to get those resistances up to 200ish unbuffed, hope it won't be so sluggy that way.

Let me know when you managed to solo them ^^
Phaex

Postby Buttertoast » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:18 am

Kvaern wrote:but what are they critting you with?

Surely not elemental damage.
it's elemental, and crits for 200%. i think you might be confusing melee attack mechanics with spell mechanics, since we normally only see elemental damage from magic, which as we know cannot crit.
these guys' attacks work exactly like regular physical hits, except that they bypass armor/block and are mitigated by resistance instead.
Buttertoast

Postby DJSticky » Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:38 am

I've only been attempting Hydross for two nights but my gear sits me at 202 FrR and 198 NR w/ Aura. I am at about 440 def in this gear with about 15.2k hp buffed. The damage I take from the adds is anywere from 1500 to 2k. Unless some are slipping by me I haven't seen any crits in my fraps altho I didn't have the foresight to be dumping my combat log. I am more then pleased with this setup for tanking the adds.

btw first post aswell, sig test/ hello!
DJSticky

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern