Remove Advertisements

Feedback for pre-heroic/kara tank! <3

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Feedback for pre-heroic/kara tank! <3

Postby Lunchbox » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:01 pm

Greetings,

First off, I absolutely love this site and read it religiously. It has helped me tremendously. I hit 70 recently and with all the advice from this site and the regulars I've gotten geared and been destroying 5-mans. Thus the famous question: Am I ready for heroics?

Something Ulushanar said really captured my interest: "Generally if you find yourself regularly going oom halfway through a pull in a normal 5-man, then you're ready to start one of the easier Heroics, like Mechanar, Underbog and Slave Pens."

Well that is exactly the case for pretty much any 5-man I run now. I run oom and don't get much back from Spirtual Attunement due to the fact I'm not taking much damage.

I run consistently with an amazing restro druid with +900 healing, and a very well geared shadow preist. We have had a 100% success rate on every single dungeon and I feel like I'm up for the challenge, I just don't wanna end up wiping and making a bad impression.

Here is my armory link if it will actually work for once:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Lunchbox

Thank you very much for you time and advice.

~LB
:D

If armory doesn't work I'll post my tankadin stats later when I get off work.
Last edited by Lunchbox on Wed Feb 27, 2008 7:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
You know you want too....

Lunchbox

Postby Invisusira » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:09 pm

HUGE AVATAR IS IBTL

I MEAN HUGE
Invisusira

Postby Lunchbox » Wed Feb 27, 2008 6:11 pm

Invisusira wrote:HUGE AVATAR IS IBTL

I MEAN HUGE

ha ha ha sorry o great Invisusira I shall fix this.

Lunchbox

Postby ulushnar » Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:25 am

I have also said, on multiple occasions that "am I ready for/rate my gear" threads are badwankywrongness. You have cherrypicked my wisdom, that is where you fail.

Luckily now we have technology to suggest to you where you should be aiming at next. But really, the only way you'll find out if you and your group are ready is by trying it out.

Oh, and IBTL.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Re: Feedback for pre-heroic/kara tank! <3

Postby palouf » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:49 am

Lunchbox wrote:Greetings,

First off, I absolutely love this site and read it religiously. It has helped me tremendously. I hit 70 recently and with all the advice from this site and the regulars I've gotten geared and been destroying 5-mans. Thus the famous question: Am I ready for heroics?

Something Ulushanar said really captured my interest: "Generally if you find yourself regularly going oom halfway through a pull in a normal 5-man, then you're ready to start one of the easier Heroics, like Mechanar, Underbog and Slave Pens."

Well that is exactly the case for pretty much any 5-man I run now. I run oom and don't get much back from Spirtual Attunement due to the fact I'm not taking much damage.

I run consistently with an amazing restro druid with +900 healing, and a very well geared shadow preist. We have had a 100% success rate on every single dungeon and I feel like I'm up for the challenge, I just don't wanna end up wiping and making a bad impression.

Here is my armory link if it will actually work for once:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Lunchbox

Thank you very much for you time and advice.

~LB
:D

If armory doesn't work I'll post my tankadin stats later when I get off work.

Just a quick remark, +900 healing is not so good for heroics...hots are not enough (not like normal 5 mans ) to keep you up with the 2 bogs in UB or with the mini boss in mecha...
But as sais Ulushnar, the only way to know is to try.
You should need some CC to begin, then after you improve your gear, welcome to heroic aoe tanking :-)
palouf

Postby Lunchbox » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:23 am

thanks for the advice :)

Lunchbox

Postby guillex » Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:44 am

Lunchbox wrote:thanks for the advice :)

Did you take any of the other IBTL advice? :P
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Blowhole » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:06 am

I find, being a newer tankadin myself, that starting Heroics took a lot more coordination than it does now. Only because, given your available CC, you can't use a lot of abilities that front load your threat. If you have a Rogue or a Hunter that's incompetent, using Avenger Shield is impossible.

A lot of the times you'll get Hunters and Mages who will wait too damn long to CC and you have no where else to run and you'll end of Consecrating the ground and they'll have to deal with it. This happens every single group I get in. Then of course it's your fault and you'll hear in party chat:

Hunter: "Dude you can't hit Square or I can't grab it"
Mage: "You can't AoE my sheep"
You/Me: "No shit... tighten up with the CCing. Make it quicker"

The more and more it happens the less I've cared about my tanking skills. I always like to do a good job but I've become more callous towards the retards.

As far as your gear, I think your stats look fine. I personally would socket some things differently and grab a few different pieces of gear based on your reputation w/ certain factions. But that's all personal choice.

As far as 900 healing is concerned, that Shadow Priest you roll with should make up for a lot of inefficiencies in gear your healer has.
Blowhole

Postby Lunchbox » Thu Feb 28, 2008 6:21 pm

Guillex wrote:

ha ha I expected to get one or two of the "IBTL" comments....but thanks a bunch to Blowhole it's nice to get some constructive advice :)

Lunchbox

Postby Blowhole » Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:48 am

Lunchbox wrote:
Guillex wrote:

ha ha I expected to get one or two of the "IBTL" comments....but thanks a bunch to Blowhole it's nice to get some constructive advice :)

No problem. If you find that your current set up isn't working so well in heroics here's my ideas:

*Change your shield enchant from Block Value to Stam.

*Socket all your gear, if plausible, with Solid Stars of Elune. I know it'll be expensive and you'll lose a lot of rare gems, but just with these 2 suggestions I show you'll gain somewhere in the ballpark of 1,500 health pre-Kings.

*Grab the neck piece from Cenarion Expedition, you need revered (which you have) and it's a great avoidance neck piece. Also grab the Timewarden Leggings from KoT revered (you have as well). With these two you'll lose some defense, which you can afford and the avoidance stats should help make up for any avoidance gems you've just unsocketed. You'll gain a little bit of stamina overall with these two... minus 10 from the neck and plus 18 with the legs for an overall +8 stam difference.

*If you can, get a Nethercleft Leg Armor crafted by a friend, since it's cheaper than the AH and that's another 100 health and a tiny bit more Dodge increase.

*I'd also try to grab a different trinket to replace your PvP trinket. You can go with a Stam trinket to help in that department. Or you can grab an avoidance trinket to help you in those areas as well and you can have a greater variety when swapping gear or when you get new pieces. I'd say to have a +def trinket too but you have one and I think a very nice one that I'd rather have but I went for the healing legs back then.
Blowhole

Re: Feedback for pre-heroic/kara tank! <3

Postby Barristan » Fri Feb 29, 2008 1:07 pm

palouf wrote:Just a quick remark, +900 healing is not so good for heroics...hots are not enough (not like normal 5 mans ) to keep you up with the 2 bogs in UB or with the mini boss in mecha...
But as sais Ulushnar, the only way to know is to try.
You should need some CC to begin, then after you improve your gear, welcome to heroic aoe tanking :-)

900 healing is enough if the healer knows what s/he is doing. A good healer with bad gear is 1000 times better than a shitty healer in great gear.
Barristan

Postby Lianamar » Fri Feb 29, 2008 4:05 pm

As long as the druid is aware that he/she may need to use Healing Touch, and can't just use HoTs, you should be fine. +900 healing may be low-end-ish for Heroics, but it's not impossible by any means.

You may wish to avoid Heroic Blood Furnace, however...the mobs in there seem to hit harder than most (T4ish) druids I've seen can keep up with.
Lianamar

Postby Lunchbox » Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:48 am

thanks so much for all the amazing advice :)

I'll definately look into some of that. Question however. I've noticed with normla 5-mans at least, that if my avoidance is too high that I'm dodging/parrying more than I'm actually blocking and I lose some threat. How do I counteract my increased avoidance while trying to maintain threat? I find myself going oom a lot because I'm avoiding a lot of my incoming attacks.

Thanks!

Lunchbox

Postby sucellus » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:37 am

Lunchbox wrote:thanks so much for all the amazing advice :)

I'll definately look into some of that. Question however. I've noticed with normla 5-mans at least, that if my avoidance is too high that I'm dodging/parrying more than I'm actually blocking and I lose some threat. How do I counteract my increased avoidance while trying to maintain threat? I find myself going oom a lot because I'm avoiding a lot of my incoming attacks.

Thanks!

That is an age old tankadin problem. I keep various alternate pieces of gear on me, if I feel I've got too much avoidance I drop avoidance gear in favour of the following stats: Stamina, Spell Damage, Block Rating, Block Value. This will cause you to take a bit more damage, do a bit more threat, survive a bit longer, and will make your damage curve more constant which will can healing more reliable even thought you're taking more of it.
sucellus

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics