Remove Advertisements

Tanking Hydross

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Hydross

Postby Lev » Mon Jun 04, 2007 2:11 am

I allready tanked his adds and as far as i was able to follow my combatlog, they did not crit me at all. Also there seem to be no crushings.

Now, it would be interesting if hydross is able to crit and crush or not.
This is because i like to get some more resistance gear for nature, frost or even both to jump into the MT role if required.

And how much resistance do you think would be the goal unbuffed and how much hp is required?
Lev

Postby Daeren » Mon Jun 04, 2007 4:42 am

As far as I know (haven't done him yet), they removed crushing blows from hydross a while back.

But he can still crit.
Daeren

Postby Jensaarai » Mon Jun 04, 2007 6:58 am

Speaking of Hydross, for those of you that tank him or his adds, what resistance gear do you use? Did you buy level 70 NR and FrR off the AH (actually I just found Iceguard on WoWhead...are a few of those + NR greens enough?)?

I don't have much else to do atm while not in Kara so I want to start putting together my set ^_^
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Lev » Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:06 am

We collected the mats for some of the Items to equip 2 MTs (Frost and Nature) and 2 add-tanks wich each got half nature resistance and half frost resistance gear.

You just need some blacksmith guys with enough primal nether and the mats for this :)
Lev

Postby Jensaarai » Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:05 am

Is there a NR version of Iceguard?

Looks like we got some farming to do...I hate farming primals...
Jensaarai

Postby Dorvan » Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:36 am

Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Lev » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:03 pm

Another question about hydross tanking... how about aggro. Since he does not "melee attack", there will be no use of holy shield at all.

Did someone in here allready tank him? Lore maybe? ^^
Lev

Postby Jensaarai » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:50 pm

SHIT!

I knew I should have saved all my Primal Shadows (11 left out of like 200).../sigh

Time to go farm more Primal Lifes, too...only about 11 of those left...

Oh well, I got time :/
Jensaarai

Postby Jensaarai » Mon Jun 04, 2007 12:52 pm

Lev wrote:Another question about hydross tanking... how about aggro. Since he does not "melee attack", there will be no use of holy shield at all.

Did someone in here allready tank him? Lore maybe? ^^

Yeah, judging how we cannot block his attacks I for sure would let a warrior tank this boss...if we're to argue situational fights, this is one where the warrior is better, like we're better at Prince ^_^

Nihilum downed Mother Shahraz with Kungen tanking I'll bet...from their SS it looks like she QUADRUPLE-wields >.< wtb them a Paladin tank...

They're on Illidian...some part of me hopes he rips them a new one so they have to have a Paladin tank :twisted: am I bad to think that? >.>
Jensaarai

Postby Alixander » Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:46 pm

Jensaarai wrote:They're on Illidian...some part of me hopes he rips them a new one so they have to have a Paladin tank :twisted: am I bad to think that? >.>
Illidan should be interesting... on the one hand, you know he dual wields considering he has the Twin Blades of Azzinoth, but on the other hand he is, and almost always has been very magic-heavy character. If any of his spells have casting times that's an immediate hit to us paladins. Mayhaps this is a situation where both types of tanks are best. Have one Warrior and one Paladin working together. :D
Alixander

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:23 pm

16% defensive stance, superior threat gen on an unblockable target, and our inability to use +defense in a weapon or ranged slot leave us with a pretty distinct disadvantage when tanking Hydross. It's quite hard to get 295 resist and 490 def at the same time, likely impossible without a +def weapon.
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:25 am

Yeah I only tank adds on hydross, or I put on my healing gear if both of our druid tanks are around.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby dern » Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:48 am

so I've basically been defaulted to our frost resist tank on Hydross. I explained the drawbacks, but evidently my guild has more faith in me than in some of our other tanks.

Last night were are first few attempts, I have a lot of frost resist . .. like 350ish or so and am buffed to around 15,000 health. My dodge/block/parry are all under 15% and my defense like 435

The issues I ran into were the initial pull (he would come out too far and switch to Nature/spawn some adds) this of course was quite painful. Any suggestions for getting to him quickly. I suggested I mount a bear and ride in,we also had several Gimli impersonations involving dwarf tossing . . it was just hit and miss even with aspect and bubbling past the 2 pats in front. Any suggestions welcome.

Also, I was not too eager to pick up adds while he was green .. . as I am gimped by my frost resist.

For tanking Hydross my inclination was Frost Resist then stamina, should I set a baseline defense for myself? Avoidance? Or should i just say . . hey thanks for the purples, lets get a druid in here to tank him. Any help be appreciated as last night was especially frustrating.

<edited for spellng/grammer>
dern

Postby Tauxalot » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:38 am

You should have a warrior take care of frost resist since thats how he starts out and being able to charge/intercept is a nice bonus to keep him in position from changing to nature.
BEWBZ or GTFO
Tauxalot

Postby dern » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:50 am

I suppose we'll start gearing up some other tanks, currently we have one consistent MT prot warrior that has all the NR gear we made. We're a small guild only raiding a few nights a week, so it was a real strain on our resources to get two of us into resist gear.

I guess we could start to gear another warrior or one of our bears. It probably wouldn't take too much gear to get him to the point where he could intially engage him, then I could take over aggro and that tank could be on add duty from that point on. . . .or just gradually switch me over to tanking adds.

If anyone has any other input I'd be grateful, I've heard that enterring from a West entrance actually is closer, but I've only been into his chamber once.

Thanks for the quick response.

-Dern
dern

Next

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern