Tankadin DPS

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Tankadin DPS

Postby Garwin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 4:40 pm

well I'm now knee deep in about 3 sets of armour for my tankadin, blocking gear for aoe grinding, tank suit for tankin' and a healing set that focus's on mana per 5 and +heal primarily (crits don't give me mana back so last the duration you've only got one choise really)

but I'm a fool with too much bank space, and everyonce in a while the warriors in our guild do the main tanking and our healers have everything battoned down nicely,

so if your a prot pally (0/49/12) and your wanted to do DPS whats the best place to start ?

with no retri tree beyond judgements and parrys is there any style of play that can get the most out of our prot tree ?
Garwin

Postby Everlight » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:33 pm

I assembled a partial ret set (high in strength and crit rating), but found it wasn't much good without the Retribution talents to back it up, so I went back to my old-school soloing set.

Spellpower. Lots and lots of spellpower. Don't be afraid to wear mail, since if you're DPSing when someone else is tanking, you're not taking too much damage. Wear a big-ass two-hander and use SoR.

It's pretty weak, but yeah, it works kinda OK. Oh yeah, and having lots of spellpower gear means you make a passable emergency healer too :)
Everlight

Postby Myotis » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:42 pm

Everlight wrote:I assembled a partial ret set (high in strength and crit rating), but found it wasn't much good without the Retribution talents to back it up.

I have a feeling Seal of Blood might make this work a bit better ;)
Myotis

Postby Everlight » Tue Jul 03, 2007 5:53 pm

Myotis wrote:
Everlight wrote:I assembled a partial ret set (high in strength and crit rating), but found it wasn't much good without the Retribution talents to back it up.

I have a feeling Seal of Blood might make this work a bit better ;)

Oh yeah, if you have SoB (sorry, I have images turned off on my work browser so I can't see your sig if you have it), then it would work vastly better.

So for Horde pallies, I'd say go ret gear. For Alliance, just go spellpower.
Everlight

Postby Girard » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:33 am

.. I have way too much time on my hands as well, and have compiled 5 sets of gear:

1) Raid set
2) 5-man/heroix
3) healing
4) Solo (spellpower)
5) Solo (melee)

Of the three, I use teh spell one the most. It's nothing epic, but hitting 500 or so +dmg and watching SoR hit for 300 on a mob with JoTC up is delightful!
Girard

Postby Garwin » Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:55 am

ohh good point .. I do have a spellpower set too but it's really just a modified 5 main tank suit.

the problem I have with spellpower is that consecration is a thirsty beast and if I'm dpsing I'm trying not to get agro thus I'm not getting heals and not getting mana back.

also as a part of that, I'm not being hit, so no reactive damage, spell powers only really contributing to my main weapons strikes (I'm alliance.. no seal of blood for me rightious or vengence only) .. and my (rapidly dwindling) supply of consecration mana

is a full on spell power & spell crit suit really going to be better than a melee crit suit for dps ? consecration dosn't crit so your getting it purely for rightious or a somewhat variable number of vengence dots
Garwin

Postby Girard » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:50 am

I wouldn't use consecrate if you're DPSing, it's a tanking tool, not a DPS tool.
Girard

Postby PsiVen » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:01 am

Consecration is by far my #1 DPS spell when soloing. Don't be silly and try to fight mobs one at a time :P
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Garwin » Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:15 am

I'm 49 points in prot, I don't exactly have many options here on "things I can do for extra damage"

if I'm trying to do as much damage as possible then wether consecration is a "dps tool" or not, it's a possible 500+ points worth of damage I could do that I other wise wouldn't, likewise with Avengers sheild, it's not exactly a "dps tool" but it's a possible 1k "hit"

1% boss wipes are paved with the corpses of people who didn't use every trick they had.

I just want to know if people get more return on there equipment points from stacking spellpower or getting physical and weilding the big 2handers
Garwin

Postby Lorath » Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:23 am

0/49/12 here with one point stolen from Imp Judgement and put into SoC.
I have a decent Ret set along with with Despair, and 2H pwns. When reckoning procs, they die. :) I toggle this set with my blocking set if I want to aoe grind, but against 1-2 mobs I pick up my bigass sword and cut them in half.
Also tried putting up a 500 ish spell power set and was very saddened when I realized my 2H set killed that in terms of dps, plus it's just not fun in the same way. It's soo much fun to be able to switch style completely and smash faces!
This is yet another reason I still stick with my Pala - major versatility. My 1k healing set rarely sees the light of day these days but when I need it, I like being able to function there aswell.
Lorath, Human 80 Swedish Viking Tankadin, EU Bloodhoof
www.kingsandaces.eu
Lorath

Postby Questioner » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:14 am

I am up to over 700 spell damage now, and it works pretty well when I do not have any other tasks. Only one piece of gear is mail, my shoulders, because there are no comparable plate alternatives except gladiator. Only one piece of gear is from raiding, Drape of the Righteous. Maybe I'll get some nice raiding rings someday.

Whatever you do, do NOT put on RF in a raid situation with spell damage gear. Nobody stands a chance at holding aggro over you.

I once did that on BBW in Kara...That was funny. I had over 900 buffed holy damage, not including JoCru. The healers werent too happy about all the crushes, but boy could people unload.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Nich » Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:02 pm

If you're aliance and can find the room to pickup SoC, then melee gear is definitely the way to go.

Spelldamage gear is fun, but somewhat restrictive, considering the coeffients on our spells that don't burn mana needlessly. Because we take no damage and thus no reactive damage back out, I usually stick with SoV, and pop trinkets and AW for the big hits when JoV is up. Even more fun if it's a demon/undead, and AQ is ready to go.

But it doesn't scale as well as melee gear.
Nich

Postby Karathos » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:22 am

Girard wrote:I wouldn't use consecrate if you're DPSing, it's a tanking tool, not a DPS tool.

That is not wholly accurate.

We tank and hold agro via causing holy damage. (key word here is damage)

So, if you want to use your damage causing abilities, consider downranking your consecration. I use about as cheap as you get and downrank to 1 when going in my SoB gear, but you can go to as low as 5 (I believe) and still get full +spell damage bonuses.

Remember to use exorcism on undead/demon targets as well.
Karathos

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations