Remove Advertisements

Is Nalorakk Resisting Your Taunt?

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Jereth » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:57 am

Aalryn wrote:Then the first tank would die and i'd have to finish off the fight tanking solo from 80% or so.

Show off :P

Aalryn wrote:I've never had a problem with taunt being first tank.

Seriously though, while I've always done Troll and never tanked Bear phase (we have a pro Feral OT who handles this phase, and bear-on-bear just seems more appropriate 8)), from my own personal experience I've never had a taunt resisted yet.
Jereth
Maintankadonor

Postby DeadlyRabbit » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:18 am

I have only fought him about 10 times but we have yet to see a resist, I tanked the bear phase a few times but now I tank the troll phase because I can build aggro faster at the start then our dps warriors who get a lot of resists on sunders.
DeadlyRabbit

Postby fiorina » Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:22 am

The only explanation I can come up from given symptoms, is that we can't taunt from warrior if difference in threat is let say above 50k upon first transition.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby baneoftruth » Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:17 pm

I believe I've figured it out, actually...here's what I've observed on this boss:

If I taunt while he is changing forms, the taunt will fail.
If I taunt directly after he changes forms and before he starts winding up to hit the other tank, the taunt will fail.
If I taunt as he's halfway through his first auto-swing after changing forms, or directly after his first attack, the taunt will succeed.

I'm running with 4.82% melee hit rating from gear, plus the 3% from Precision. The chance of a failed taunt is pretty low, I'd say.

Anyway, to the heart of the problem, and why a druid/warrior's taunt works all the time while ours doesn't. I have first reason to believe that the boss, server-side, isn't targetting anyone during the transition, even if he has a target of target frame up client-side. If you taunt a mob that doesn't have a target, the taunt will fail and still cause the 15sec c/d (kinda bull, isn't it?). Our taunt requires that the taunt target is targetting someone, while a warrior/druid's does not. It's just different taunt mechanics.

What do you guys think?
baneoftruth

Postby 2ndNin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 5:17 am

I have this problem, basically if I tank Troll it all goes wonderfully, threat is high and the warrior / druid taunts off me with no issues whatsoever. However if I tank bear I taunt, taunt misses / resists / fails, 15s later I try again, miss / resists / fail (no idea which), so I just plow damage out and overtake the other tank to get it back, however this problem only seems to exist on the first troll -> bear transition (I have never missed / resisted / failed on any other transition as either troll or bear tank, no melee hit, precision).

So it seems that there is either a bug, or a null target problem or something in there, and to make it worse it seems to last for a significant portion of the first bear phase (at least 15s into that phase). Now its not really an issue as I can make threat and overtake the tank, but its very annoying when you can't successfully taunt the bear off ever :(. I only just noticed this issue as I used to tank the troll, but now I am being put as bear tank (19.5K hits buffed in 10mans normally with a warrior) its really noticeable and quite scary when the other tank is getting massacred.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Magnusharkov » Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:44 am

I've only ever noticed a taunt resist twice for me. On both occasions a quick BoP fixed that problem.
Magnusharkov

Postby 2ndNin » Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:26 am

:D BoP only works if you are 2nd on aggro list, each time I have been planning on taunting off so judged wisdom /started building my vengence stack rather than going for threat, so when the taunt fails I am lowest on aggro and must attempt to pass 8 others on the way to BoP (takes about 17s normally, just enough time to watch the 2nd taunt fail as well).
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby baneoftruth » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:38 am

Just an update...my group decided to switch up the tanking order, so I would tank the human phase and our warrior would tank the bear phase. I was able to taunt the second after he shifted back into human phase and it picked up without any issues. Had I done that on the bear form, the taunt would have 'fizzled'.

To avoid any potential issues, I'd suggest that you try to get your group to let you tank the human phase. What's nicer than front-loaded threat on the pull and additional avenger's shields when he charges raid members, anyway? :-p
baneoftruth

Postby jere » Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:04 am

I tanked bear form on our last two ZA clears with no issues from the taunt. Mine all landed fine. I normally tank troll form, but I wanted to see if it would happen. So I don't know, no issues yet.
jere

Postby Wulfhere » Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:33 pm

Hmmm, I've tanked the bear form for all of our attempts (5-6 kills maybe) and I've never had a taunt resist/fail/fizzle. I usually wait until his graphic actually changes to a bear before I taunt.
Wulfhere

Postby Pallypete » Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:17 pm

We've killed him tons of times, and I always tank bear since I have the most health, and I've never had a taunt resisted. I always wait until his transformation is complete before taunting, but other than that it's business as usual.
Pallypete

Postby Lalecize » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:53 pm

baneoftruth wrote:I believe I've figured it out, actually...here's what I've observed on this boss:

If I taunt while he is changing forms, the taunt will fail.
If I taunt directly after he changes forms and before he starts winding up to hit the other tank, the taunt will fail.
If I taunt as he's halfway through his first auto-swing after changing forms, or directly after his first attack, the taunt will succeed.

I'm running with 4.82% melee hit rating from gear, plus the 3% from Precision. The chance of a failed taunt is pretty low, I'd say.

Anyway, to the heart of the problem, and why a druid/warrior's taunt works all the time while ours doesn't. I have first reason to believe that the boss, server-side, isn't targetting anyone during the transition, even if he has a target of target frame up client-side. If you taunt a mob that doesn't have a target, the taunt will fail and still cause the 15sec c/d (kinda bull, isn't it?). Our taunt requires that the taunt target is targetting someone, while a warrior/druid's does not. It's just different taunt mechanics.

What do you guys think?

What he says. I noticed when I did it that if you taunt while he is changing forms you get nothing, no notification, no threat, just a RD on cooldown.
I assume this is due to the fact he is targetting himself? when he swaps forms.

If you wait until you can visibly see that he's now a bear you can pop your taunt and it works fine. (or vice versa)
Lalecize

Postby Amran20 » Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:24 pm

I've actually never had a single issue with taunting this boss, either form. I have the hit rating from the Praetorian's Legguards, thats hit.

And yeah, once during a timed run (my first one with our A-List group) a healer got DCed and the warrior got gibbed in bear form, I picked it up and our raid leader called a wipe when it was at 60%, I said, "No wait, just trust me...." and he did and I tanked it down from there because I was able to bubble off the first mangle and then just beef it down for the short time he was alive in bear phase the second time. Oh my lord when he starts slicing and bleeding you with Mangle on. That damage is just wrong on so many levels.

“Time is too slow for those who wait, too swift for those who fear, too long for those who grieve, too short for those who rejoice, but for those who love, time is eternity.”
Amran20

Postby Sabindeus » Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:15 pm

Dorvan wrote:I've never had a taunt resisted on him since the ZA went live (they resisted like crazy on the PTR with spell hit mechanics), but a BoP on your other tank will do the trick if your taunt is resisted. Likewise, you can bubble if the other tanks taunt is resisted.

same. Remember to taunt after the switch and not during.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby cordelia » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:28 pm

I have had problems here. I always thought it was my lack of being hitcapped and just horrible bad luck. This clarifies things. I always tank bear phase, btw, simply b/c I'm better geared than my feral OT, so I can handle the increased damage better. I had gotten into the habit of taunting him 0.5 seconds early, and that worked, but occasionally, I would get the debuff, and it would be hell on my healers for awhile. Now I'll try waiting until after his first attack in bear form. Thx.
cordelia

PreviousNext

Return to Zul'aman