Tanking Tidewalker

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Gerilith » Tue Dec 11, 2007 3:59 am

gwayne wrote:
Elirra wrote:My other big suggestion is to get as much hit rating as you possibly can. The only time I thought I was going to die was after a parry.

Correct me if I'm wrong but:

Hit rating reduces change to miss attacks
Expertise reduces chance for attacks to be parried/dodged

All the hit rating in the world and you'll still get just as many parries as far as I know.

*ding* That's 100 points - totally correct.
Standing alone with no direction
How did I fall so far behind?
Why Am I searching for perfection?
Knowing it's something I won't find
Gerilith

Postby Ilara » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:39 am

Ok, just come from a raid where the warrior has been smashed; absolutely broken.

now I'm up and thinking, hey, I can do this, I have 50 hp less than him fully buffed. (something I'm working on fixing asap, trust me ;) ) and have my pwnsome shield block advantage purely built for this.

Problem is the murlocs. To make this easy mode, I figured, one idea is to get the other pally in my guild who has a prot set ready to play with murlocs and I main tank, telling warrior to sit out (mwhaha)

so hows this

......|...^FLK |
......|...........|
......|...........|
......|...........|
___|.1......2.|_____

........\/ tide

this being tunnel at far end of his room, I'm thinking position raid at 1 and myself at 2, raid can pick up the murloc's from heal aggro and then secondary pally, while I stay mostly ignored at 1. think something similar was mentioned in this thread but wasn't sure as I read it.

sound like a viable strategy to try? anyone else have any ideas?
Guillex wrote:chop chop slap chop slap slap /b/ fap fap.... gogo
Ilara

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jan 16, 2008 6:49 am

We had our first go last night. Best attempt was 38%.

I was on Murlocs, and I used Holy Light on a lifetapping Warlock to get aggro. From speaking to a couple of friends in other groups, that seems to be the most effective way to do it. I had mana issues at first because I was spamming HL as soon as the Murloc cooldown ended, as opposed to waiting for the quake.

Our MT was a Druid because I'd heard good things about them in this fight. Sadly, he kept eating crushes and dying horribly.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Comandant » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:43 am

I've suggested in our guild forums that myself and another pally tank both go into the Morogrim fight. One of us on merlocs, and one of us on Morogrim. I've got a slightly better threat set than him so suggested that I be kept on Merlocs given that our stam/avoidance sets are about equal. Close to 400 spelldamage and over 18k health buffed in our stam/avoidance gear.

The other tankadin actually got the badge pants and has about 400 more health than me, but i'm waitin for the next patch badge pants and gettin those instead.

Anyhow, I hope they actually let us do it so we can actually get some faith going. We've been used only for utility so far, and even on the KLH fight, we have a druid pick up the pet and me on the hunter. I think they panicked the first time I was there, I only had 16.5k health fully buffed and I ate too much damage on the enrage. Now that I've got 18.4k buffed, and more avoidance, I'm having a hard time convincing them to let me take both.

Terroar - 70 Warlock
Zeiben - 70 Druid
Marmidon - 64 Warrior

Ducimus
Comandant

Postby NarfJones » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:05 pm

We had some issue with our normal "main tank" dying due to crushes if any of the healers would get watery graved. We stuck a druid tank in and that helped alleviate the issue quite a bit. The crushing blows on the bear were about the same level as a normal hit on the warrior. The druid told me his armor was mitigating 75% damage. What the exact amount was, I have no idea. However, a few weeks back, the druid was unavailable and the warrior wanted to get his revenge on tidewalker. Stacked one extra healer in the raid in case of bad graves, and problem solved.

As for me, I basically drop a consecrate in from of TW after the quake and then drop back and put another consecrate at the top of the ramp. The grave healer and those coming out of the grave need to stop whatever they are doing until the murlocs run past however. We lose our grave healer every single week because by the end of the raid he is just throwin out heals with paying attention.

Once we collapse for the globules, my only rule is that everyone stand in the consecrate. If they stand outside of it and die, i don't get blamed.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Comandant » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:08 am

Usually our warrior MT's Tidewalker without much trouble at all, or one of our tanking druids does it. Usually i'm the only pally in there and i'm too useful on the merlocs to be used for anything else in that fight. Anyhow, now that we have another geared pally as I said, supposedly we'll get the chance this coming raid week. We've cleared everything this week in TK, and everything in SSC is dead except Vashj, who we'll be going for tonight.

Terroar - 70 Warlock
Zeiben - 70 Druid
Marmidon - 64 Warrior

Ducimus
Comandant

Postby guillex » Mon Feb 25, 2008 7:27 am

Ilara wrote:Ok, just come from a raid where the warrior has been smashed; absolutely broken.

now I'm up and thinking, hey, I can do this, I have 50 hp less than him fully buffed. (something I'm working on fixing asap, trust me ;) ) and have my pwnsome shield block advantage purely built for this.

Problem is the murlocs. To make this easy mode, I figured, one idea is to get the other pally in my guild who has a prot set ready to play with murlocs and I main tank, telling warrior to sit out (mwhaha)

so hows this

......|...^FLK |
......|...........|
......|...........|
......|...........|
___|.1......2.|_____

........\/ tide

this being tunnel at far end of his room, I'm thinking position raid at 1 and myself at 2, raid can pick up the murloc's from heal aggro and then secondary pally, while I stay mostly ignored at 1. think something similar was mentioned in this thread but wasn't sure as I read it.

sound like a viable strategy to try? anyone else have any ideas?

Way we do it is ... we work around to the top of the room, clear out the trash pats there.

I run in behind the MT, who kites Morogrim back up to the doorway and tanks him there.

I go about 3/4ths of the way down the ramp, with the grave healer and my lifetapping warlock GM.

We don't get graved, we don't get touched by earthquakes... So as soon as an earthquake hits, I'm spamming FoL or HL on him while he LT's. Murlocs (90%) of the time, go right for me. Consecrate, HS, and then locks seed and aoe.

Invis never moves a muscle. Just remember to have your healers cool it a bit after the earthquake, and watch your consecrates on Morogrim.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Dazhbog » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:49 am

Did it tonight, it was a bit weird positioning wise though, so I want to run something by folks.

Assuming what we had tonight (two pally tanks, one bare) is it reasonable to plant Tidewalker right in the middle of the room, closer to the north end, and have the two pallies just sit north and south of the raid, snagg the murlocs, and then drag them onto Tidewalker? Would this negate the need to heal warlocks to snag aggro, or would that still be an issue?

The trigger happy healers kept healing my damn warlock tonight, which caused some havoc; they learned their lesson though.
Dazhbog

Postby Warsadin » Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:02 am

Notice in that WWS parse that the warrior was parried right before he was pwnt.

More expertise = less of that happening = more winning.

Love expertise. Also a big reason why a warrior should not tank morogrim. The potential for insta-gibs are insanely high.
Warsadin

Postby NarfJones » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:07 am

Dazhbog wrote:Assuming what we had tonight (two pally tanks, one bare) is it reasonable to plant Tidewalker right in the middle of the room, closer to the north end, and have the two pallies just sit north and south of the raid, snagg the murlocs, and then drag them onto Tidewalker? Would this negate the need to heal warlocks to snag aggro, or would that still be an issue?

Yes it would, but the healing aggro scenario enables you to do it with only two tanks. We have our other tanks switch to DPS for the fight since I handle them all on my own. Devastate in Fury gear=awesome
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Rasmfrackn » Tue Feb 26, 2008 1:10 pm

Dude hits unpredictably fast. Like, 0.8 seconds between attacks sometimes *without* any parries involved. Wtf.

We finally got a few tries on him last night, and we got really unlucky on tank deaths. Well, and the healers were mistakenly a little scared of healing the tank too much after the earthquakes. 27% was our best try.

27% was with our usual warrior MT. He blew all his cooldowns on that one, so we put in our feral for the next one. *4* crushings in a row, and splat. (Like I said, the healing was a little scared. I think I've fixed it now.)

Murlocs went off without a hitch... except the one time a feral popped out and Tranqed his whole group after an earthquake. :shock: But at least he just dragged them over to me without anyone dying. :)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby aybarra » Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:58 am

We have the same problem and I have a question.
Our MT got crushed all the time, everyone blamed the healers for not keeping him topped but when he took 2 crushings in 2 sek for 8,5+k we cant blame the healers.
We always go in with him, me and 2 ferals who switches between dps/tank when neccesary.
I was on one side murloc and the 2 droods on the other side.
Ive heard that druids make good tanks for that fight but since our druid tank only got 500 hp mor than our MT who has about 700 more HP than me crushing will probably be hard on the druids too.
Since we still has 3 tanks for the murlocs should we try with me tanking him? Beeing safe from the spikedamage due to my HS charges.
Ive tanked all the rest of the bosses we go for since the MT has been away for some while but now hes back and goes as MT.
Ive lowered my HP some just to get my avoidance up a bit since I feelt like I was easier to be healed on Lurkerfight so im sitting at about 19k+ fully buffed with 49,7% avoidance unbuffed against an boss (havent checked avoidance fully buffed) by changing some gems..
Is it possible or should I just stay on themurlocs.
aybarra

Postby Morpheren » Sat Mar 29, 2008 9:48 am

So recently, I changed servers. Got into a 6/6 3/4 guild, we were on tidewalker one night, and the MT warrior kept eating crushes and getting pwned. I suggested I tank him (we run with 2 pally tanks).

Everything was cool till like 50% and I agro'ed the murlocs. Once that happened, I removed Consecrate from my rotation, and told the other pally to go all out with the heals to get agro. They wouldn't get off me. So I tanked that wave and called for AOE to go crazy on the boss.

Oddly enough, another wave of murlocs came up, and straight to me again. I tanked these, by this time tidewalker was at about 30%, and the healers started getting behind, obviously I was eating too many crushes.

I've only seen that fight once before this night, so I'm not too familiar where the murlocs spawn from, but I'm almost sure the only thing I would have done to get their attention is Spiritual Attunement, and threat from casting Seals. However, the paladin that was on murloc duty, has done the fight MANY MANY times, and reported he got 2 full heals off on the warlock each time the packs came to me.

Any insite on this?
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Jobah » Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:22 pm

Earthshield? healthstone? Potion? Prayer of mendin
Jobah

Postby Morpheren » Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:46 pm

Jobah wrote:Earthshield? healthstone? Potion? Prayer of mendin

Possibly PoM, I don't believe we had a resto shaman with us that night. Also, it seems unlikely that one tick of PoM would have triggered the waves to come at me at two separate times.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Previous

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern