Remove Advertisements

Void Reaver aggro

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Void Reaver aggro

Postby Averroes » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:09 pm

So we have 3 people on VR and im one of them but for some reason my aggro cant scale with the prot war and feral druids aggro, so any suggestion how I can scale? I spam consecrate and spam seal of righteous like I have no idea.
Averroes

Postby fiorina » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:21 pm

Who is the first person tanking him? If not you, ask RL for swap. That's the simple way.

There is a hard way with stacked spelldamage and consuming evil things, but you should try ez mode first.
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:26 pm

^

Also, chug mana pots when you're not getting hit. You're in TK, so they're free anyway. As soon as you can, drink one, and then whenever the CD is up.
Invisusira

Postby guillex » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:43 pm

Also, don't be a tank behind Invisusira. Epic help right there.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby fiorina » Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:49 pm

Also... checking your armory(very nice gear btw). If you remove Blessing of Salvation when tanking, you might see a magic :)
fiorina
Maintankadonor

Postby Averroes » Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:17 pm

No I didnt have salv on, I popped LoH for a aggro boost which was pretty funny anyways downed him I should of brought more mana pots ><
Averroes

Postby Rasmfrackn » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:38 am

The mana pots are key. I always bum them off the casters for alar and VR because I keep forgetting to grab some from the bank.

Also, we really really really are the worst at building aggro while not being hit. It's a big flaw as I see it. Poundings can get you some mana back at least, but you have to choose between JotC for threat and JoW for mana, and you can't very well SoW or you'll be missing half of your offtank holy damage. Meanwhile our threat is the least efficient in terms of threat out per damage in, so you really do need to supplement it somehow and mind your efficiency.

JotC is probably your best bet if you really want to stay in the running. Pick an efficient rank of consecrate (4ish), and just spam JoR/JoV on cooldown and throw your shield when you can if you've got the mana. That's all we've got for secondary threat until the target reaches 20%. HoW helps threat VERY nicely if you've got the mana. :) Oh, and pop AW early so you can get it up 3 times per fight.

There's definitely no way you're going to compete with a feral for secondary threat like this. Their dps and their rage-from-crits talent give them great passive ways of keeping their resources up to keep building threat.

Whoever starts with aggro is definitely going to have the advantage. As people here have said, it probably should be you. Your warrior tanks will probably complain a little, and your ferals won't even notice. :)

-- oh and /gush: I just got my alar trinket last night! When we moved on to VR, I decided to have a little fun and opened up with JotC and AW as soon as it procced (very early) and ripped aggro back from our warrior MT. He claimed he was eating the first punt, but I was pulling aggro before 30 seconds were even up. :) Our DPS was retarded for some reason last night and we had warlocks and HUNTERS pulling aggro, so it took a few tries, but it was kinda fun to actually get hit by VR for a change. (Yes I can give advice better than I can use it.)
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:36 am

VR is fairly easy to keep aggro on, the problem is if you eat a knockback while you are gaining threat (overtake leader, bam, go back to 75%).

I always find that opening or not makes no difference (I will have aggro within 15s anyway), basically open with avenger's shield, then run in, consecrate, judge crusader (or wisdom if you have a ret pally), and start building a stack of vengence. Once the judgement is available blow wings, and the stack, and consecrate / judge rotation. If you lose aggro throw your shield (not getting hit so it has a low cast time due to no pushback), and keep up the rotation. If you get hit by a knockback open with a righteous judgement and then go back to SoV, you can afford to build the stack, and it is very worthwhile I find to do so.

Chug mana pots, blow wings when they are up - but only if you have the mana for 2 consecrations and 2 judgements, if not get the mana going. Judging wisdom if necessary while tanking VR.

Building off aggro is fine, its when later in the fight you are knocked down 50-75000 threat that you have issues getting back up. Take it steady and slow and just work the rotation correctly, its not a speed fight from the tanks pov its a consistency fight, you have 200K threat more than the next nearest tank is pretty useless if when you get hit your 200K lead becomes 0 and you need to start again (the bigger your threat, the harder knockbacks hurt). I tend to find that blowing moroes pocketwatch part way through a cycle helps as it lets you essentially skip a knockback meaning you get longer to build threat as the MT.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby nicolax » Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:50 am

you should probably build a threat set, and warriors are the worst tanks for that fight, simple, between me and ferals, they never get to tank.

also, get a shaman in your party for wrath of air totem, use a flask of supreme power for spell damage boost, eat +spelldamage food, use oil, trinket of al'ar if you got it, , libram of zeal, seal of the crusader judged on vr, wear your t4 gear (4 pieces if you can). you should have at least 6-7k mana in threat gear, more than 600-700 spell damage and you may well be completely crushable :) but who cares, he doesn't hit hard.

if you do well, you should be able to sustain 1300 tps on average when tanking, 1000+ when offtanking, with spikes of 1.5-2k tps when trinket procs.... only ferals can try to compete, warriors are pretty much forced to watch and cry :lol:
nicolax

Postby Kellann » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 am

nicolax wrote:warriors are pretty much forced to watch and cry :lol:

Saw that last night.

Around 8% he did get a turn for 30s I think, but prior to that we heard him over vent "Guys...this is really boring."

:)
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Vanifae » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:29 am

Void Reaver is just retarded and I enjoy tanking him for like 70% of the fight.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Gillman » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:42 pm

Tank him fine with 428 Spell Damage...

Normally have 4 tanks 2 pally 2 warrior... and one of the pally tanks is on top 80% of the time... we are very good at holding threat.
Gillman

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:49 pm

I had about 500 spelldamage in the set I used to tank him, which included 4/5 T5. I held him from 100%-12% when I died no problem.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby NarfJones » Mon Feb 25, 2008 5:29 pm

Ulushnar wrote:I had about 500 spelldamage in the set I used to tank him, which included 4/5 T5. I held him from 100%-12% when I died no problem.

Don't you mean 4/5 of t4? As the t5 set bonuses aren't really built for single target threat.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Frickit » Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:46 am

I was going frickin crazy with my threat the first time. I held him a lot. Second time I took it easy and we all had a chance to hold him for a min or two. Knockbacks dont lose him for me lol. They do for the warrios tho so you have to share. 477 buffed spell damage. I was even judgin wisdom a lot.

SoV is awesome here if you have the mana pots.
Frickit

Return to Tempest Keep