Remove Advertisements

Void Reaver

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Sereen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:29 am

Phaex wrote: void reaver hits like a newborn kitten.

FixT (My kitten has scratched me something nasty in the past xD)

Anyway, back on topic. The rest of you post seems spot on. LISTEN TO THE FEMALE DWARF! (LOL, never thought I'd see one of those. xD)

-Ser
Sereen

Postby Prepared » Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:10 am

Phaex wrote:But yeah, i guess it can't be done without a shadow in group tho.

I do it, but only put up HS Rank 1 when I see a kick going, or if I'm below 10k health just in case he turns around.

The free TK mana potions = godly for this. You take just about enough damage off of Pounding to maintain a decent amount of incoming heals.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby Loladin » Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:20 pm

Vinnicius wrote:I had a serious concern about this fight, after reading up on it (have not attempted the fight yet) it seems like a horrible set-up for a Paladin tank.

Even if a Paladin starts the rotation, wouldn't the threat be too hard for a Paladin to keep up once he wasn't the top target? I find it incredibly difficult to generate aggro over all of the DPS when I'm not MTing (as you all know Paladin have a problem with) is it actually possible with enough mana pots and avenging wrath?

Hm, a solution hasn't hit me yet.

I kept aggro for a good 3/4 of the time we were fighting last night on our first attempt -- and I started the rotation. I thought I might have problems as well, but it's pretty easy. The TK mana pots are amazing, as Prepared just said.
Loladin

Postby Vinnicius » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:53 pm

Not sure, still wondering how it turns out that easy, however if other people are doing it I'm sure I can.

Honestly I'm not really geared for the fight anyway, was just wondering as I may have to tank for we have a few missing this Sunday.
Vinnicius

Postby Sunstrider » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:11 am

Yeah the mod is lying to you, turn off the feature that you announce in /say when an orb is targetting you. I've never been hit with an orb during this encounter.

We run it 3 tanks, 7 healers, with usually 3 or so melee dps with the rest being ranged dps. We just let the melee DPS stay in and get healed through the poundings.

I don't ask to be first tank on this fight cause that would take away the fun :P, since we don't use KTM its like a blind race on who is gonna get threat next. Usually I win, and when its on me it stays on me for a good 3-4 kicks, or it'll switch between me and the first tank back and forth a bit. He isn't such a heavy hitter, so from my normal gear i switch out the rocket launcher for the Violet Badge, and I take off the Tankatronic goggles for the Justicar Faceguard. That and wizard oil gets my spell dmg up to the 440ish area. I judge crusader to start, and switch over to wisdom when hes actually on me. If I'm at full health and still got about 5 seconds or more on my holy shield cooldown while tanking him and I see him turn around to fire an orb I can usually sneak throwing an Avenger's Shield out at him without any issues.

You should get your guildies to give you another shot and inform them that the mod is lying, overdependance on mods is a bad thing when you believe what the mod is telling you without confirming it yourself in your combat logs or from what you actually see. If the mod was telling the truth your combat log should be full of arcane orb damage and you should be perma silenced throughout the fight. With good spell dmg and drinking mana pots like a fiend a Paladin can keep up very well in this threat race, I do a good share of the tanking, and enough confidence is on me that if void ever switchs over to me when hes hovering around the 15% range, the warrior tanks will switch weapons and Execute and DPS till the end.
Sunstrider

Postby Julian » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:27 am

Quick addendum to this, and I guess this is a general tanking note as well:

Lay Hands seemed to generate a really large amount of aggro, which I guess should be intuitive but which had never occured to me before.

I slapped it on one of our druids when he spiked low and VR was at about 20%, and owned aggro the rest of the way. It connected for ~14k of effective heal. No clue whether it gets the RF modifier-- I suspect that it does. But that's 7K threat without and 13.3Kish threat with.

Interestingly, KTM was way off for the fight-- it showed me about 30K below our top shadow priest and about 25K below two of the other three tanks, but I was definitely tanking. I suspect that it doesn't properly account for threat from power gain.
Julian

Postby Nich » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:08 am

Julian wrote:I slapped it on one of our druids when he spiked low and VR was at about 20%, and owned aggro the rest of the way. It connected for ~14k of effective heal. No clue whether it gets the RF modifier-- I suspect that it does. But that's 7K threat without and 13.3Kish threat with.

Aren't we still on a .25 threat modifier?

Meaning, roughly speaking, with no salv and RF up, we produce half as much threat as we heal. Still, ~7k of snap threat is a little crazy :>
Nich

Postby Kvaern » Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:09 am

yea KTM definitely doesn't get this fight right.
Kvaern

Postby DracAlexstrasza » Tue Jul 10, 2007 8:31 am

Kvaern wrote:yea KTM definitely doesn't get this fight right.

Truer words have never been spoken.
Drac - Paladin - 70 - Alexstrasza
DracAlexstrasza

Postby Arianne » Wed Jul 11, 2007 1:48 pm

KTM overestimates the amount of threat the knockback reduces because VR's knockback is only 75%. Use the following command to correct it for this fight:
/ktm b s knockaway default multiplier 0.75

I also tank VR from the beginning and usually keep him for most of the fight. I use SoR/JoR, AS, Holy Shield, and consecration for the first minute or so, then judge wisdom and use SoV for the rest of the fight. If I lose aggro I stop using HS and pop out AW while using SoV, consecration, and sometimes AS. I use the TK mana pots sometimes, but generally the pounding damage is enough to keep me near full on mana. I do tend to equip more of my t4 gear rather than my pure tanking set and use a wizard oil for increased spell damage. I usually don't lose aggro more than once per AW cooldown.
Arianne

Postby Daeren » Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:18 am

Joined in today on my first VR kill (was unlucky earlier kills) and I had aggro the majority of the time, although the prot warriros did give me challenge

And ye, he hits like a kitten (4,5k max hit)
Daeren

Postby PsiVen » Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:43 am

He crushed me for 5.3k the other night when I was trying to pull him with Avenger's Shield. What a dick :P
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Strom » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:09 am

I am pretty confident we will have Gruul's Lair on farm after this weekend. Should we head for VR next or Mag... or both? :P
Strom

Postby Jaydin » Thu Jul 12, 2007 12:02 pm

Nich wrote:
Julian wrote:I slapped it on one of our druids when he spiked low and VR was at about 20%, and owned aggro the rest of the way. It connected for ~14k of effective heal. No clue whether it gets the RF modifier-- I suspect that it does. But that's 7K threat without and 13.3Kish threat with.

Aren't we still on a .25 threat modifier?

Meaning, roughly speaking, with no salv and RF up, we produce half as much threat as we heal. Still, ~7k of snap threat is a little crazy :>

aye LoH is a great way to pull aggro, even if u do it on yourself (altho you probably wont get nearly as much unless you are *really* now on hp...)...when i had imp loh i would cast that on myself just in time for enrages on boss fights...perfect 30% more armor...19k armor after 1 pot and imp LoH....giggity (still was a while ago but...)
Jaydin

Postby Questioner » Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:36 am

Strom wrote:I am pretty confident we will have Gruul's Lair on farm after this weekend. Should we head for VR next or Mag... or both? :P

I am "basically" in your position. We've been farming Gruul for awhile now (5-6 weeks), but we have some pretty "slow" people in our guild, and not very consistent attendance.

I found that Lurker, Mag and VR to be all about the same difficulty. That being said, we've only downed Void Reaver. The difference is personal responsibility. If someone dies/screws up on VR, it just pushes you closer to the enrage. If someone screws up on Mag, it could mean instant raid wipage (hello cubes). If someone screws up on Lurker, the adds can be hard to handle.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep