Void Reaver

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Void Reaver

Postby Mortehl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:46 am

I am incredibly pissed and I need some advice or something.

Despite all the crap stacked against paladin tanks in TK, I've been main tanking our guild along with the two warriors through the trash and we finally got to VR in our second attempt (Granted we only had an hour the first time).

So, I'm all set, I pull VR and I find out because I have a @#$@#$@# $@ #$@#$@#$@# Mana bar, the godamn arcane orbs target me. So, they give me 3 tries and pull me out of the tank rotation. Of course I didn't argue with them because I want my T5 shoulders and I know they mean well.

Please don't tell me this is just another motherhumping example of Blizzard screwing over Paladin tanks. Tell me I did something wrong. Why the hell were the arcane orbs targetting me?
Last edited by Mortehl on Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Arthas, we're coming for you. (Eventually)
Mortehl

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:54 am

They weren't. Bossmods just don't know how to deal with paladin tanks. There isn't any combat log or chat log indication of Void Reaver's Arcane Orb, so what they do is watch his target when it changes. If he targets someone with a rage bar, the mods figure "Okay, must be a tank" and don't say anything. So when Void Reaver switches to you and sees you have a mana bar, the mods go "Ahh, he must have shot an orb."

The way it actually works has nothing to do with mana. He can shoot the orb at anything outside of about a 10 yard radius of him. Melee DPS running out for pummels can be targetted by the orbs, so occasionally tanks get hit by that splash damage, but otherwise you won't be getting orbed.

It's worth mentioning that DPS warriors have the opposite problem - when they run out for pummel and get orbed, there's no warning.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Eliane » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:55 am

All melee stay away from me except for one tank (rage). I find getting hit is sort of a good thing becauseI get more mana back fron heals.
Eliane

Postby Prepared » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:10 pm

Eliane wrote:All melee stay away from me except for one tank (rage). I find getting hit is sort of a good thing becauseI get more mana back fron heals.

Until it silences you, and you can't cast Holy Shield, and Void Reaver stomps you flat into the ground.

<-true story.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby Eliane » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:18 pm

Prepared wrote:
Eliane wrote:All melee stay away from me except for one tank (rage). I find getting hit is sort of a good thing becauseI get more mana back fron heals.

Until it silences you, and you can't cast Holy Shield, and Void Reaver stomps you flat into the ground.

<-true story.

I'll pray that never happens to me :D
Eliane

Postby Mortehl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:15 pm

So basically, my issue was that he targetted me when the fight started since I aggroed him and BigWigs immediately set the warning out that I was going to be getting an orb even though I wasn't?

I just bugged the wowace guys on their IRC channel about this. Maybe they'll fix it.
Mortehl

Postby PsiVen » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 pm

As long as you're in range of Pounding (which you should always be inside because you need to build threat / consecrate) you will never get orbed. If some ranged pulls aggro it's very important to follow VR so you don't get an orb on you smashing the melee when he comes back.

Bossmods work on targeting, so since you have mana they assume you have an orb incoming when you usually won't.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:28 pm

This is why boss mods shouldn't exist: they cause perfectly good prot paladin tanks to get blamed by their guilds for doing nothing wrong.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Eliane » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:37 pm

Hm so I'm not getting hit by the orbs? I didn't know that, I just assumed I was because of BigWigs. I'm going to pay more attention to the orbs next time just to make sure.
Eliane

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:44 pm

If you are in melee range, you will very rarely get hit by orbs. When you do, it's because he orbed a melee DPS'er who was running out and it exploded close enough to you to hit you with the splash.

Every single time he targets you though, BigWigs will give a warning. Which means after every single orb he DOES send out, while you're tanking him, there'll be another warning that says there's an orb on you.

It's pretty annoying but I'm not sure how it could be fixed.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Mortehl » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:46 pm

Lore wrote:If you are in melee range, you will very rarely get hit by orbs. When you do, it's because he orbed a melee DPS'er who was running out and it exploded close enough to you to hit you with the splash.

Every single time he targets you though, BigWigs will give a warning. Which means after every single orb he DOES send out, while you're tanking him, there'll be another warning that says there's an orb on you.

Easily - for people like my guild who are (mostly) using Threat 1.0, it should tie into it, and get aggro information. - The dude with the high aggro who happens to have mana ain't getting orbed :P
Mortehl

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:52 pm

Mortehl wrote:
Lore wrote:If you are in melee range, you will very rarely get hit by orbs. When you do, it's because he orbed a melee DPS'er who was running out and it exploded close enough to you to hit you with the splash.

Easily - for people like my guild who are (mostly) using Threat 1.0, it should tie into it, and get aggro information. - The dude with the high aggro who happens to have mana ain't getting orbed :P

DPS passes tanks all the time there, and it's impossible to tell the difference between the mob's threat target and just someone else who's lower on the list.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Vinnicius » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:43 pm

I had a serious concern about this fight, after reading up on it (have not attempted the fight yet) it seems like a horrible set-up for a Paladin tank.

Even if a Paladin starts the rotation, wouldn't the threat be too hard for a Paladin to keep up once he wasn't the top target? I find it incredibly difficult to generate aggro over all of the DPS when I'm not MTing (as you all know Paladin have a problem with) is it actually possible with enough mana pots and avenging wrath?

Hm, a solution hasn't hit me yet.
Vinnicius

Postby Mortehl » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:29 am

Vinnicius wrote:I had a serious concern about this fight, after reading up on it (have not attempted the fight yet) it seems like a horrible set-up for a Paladin tank.

Even if a Paladin starts the rotation, wouldn't the threat be too hard for a Paladin to keep up once he wasn't the top target? I find it incredibly difficult to generate aggro over all of the DPS when I'm not MTing (as you all know Paladin have a problem with) is it actually possible with enough mana pots and avenging wrath?

Hm, a solution hasn't hit me yet.

Don't think so much :D

Seriously, expect to pop a few pots during this fight, but trust me, as long as you're maintaining your S/JoR and occasionally tossing a consecrate, VR will wind up back on you gain :D
Mortehl

Postby Phaex » Fri Jul 06, 2007 5:55 am

I had a shadow priest in my group last night and was perfectly fine. Just use these cheap TK only manapotions on timer and mana shouldn't be a problem at all.
My active threat generation was surprisingly high, had about 400 spelldamage and was running at 700+ tps most of the time.
You can swap some equipment for spelldamage, void reaver hits like a kitten.

Agro was going like this:

MT -> kick resist
MT -> kick resist
MT -> kick
OT1 -> kick
MT -> kick
OT1 -> kick
MT -> kick
OT1 -> kick
OT2

OT1 was me together with 3 prot specced warriors.

I judged crusader and started stacking vengeance imediatly. Consecrate all the time, make sure you are close enough for it to hit him. Avengers shield when ready too. Pop wings when vengeance is fully up, and boom agro rocket.
Make sure you have holyshield rank1 up all the time, just to prevent crushings.
But yeah, i guess it can't be done without a shadow in group tho.
Phaex

Next

Return to Tempest Keep