Tanking Illhoof - Need general info about the event

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Illhoof - Need general info about the event

Postby Maejara » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:01 am

Hi,

this is the first time I'm posting on this board because I've been asked to tank Illhoof asap.
I don't know anything about him, if he's "easy" to tank as a paladin, if being crushimmune is an ultimate MUST etc.

Perhaps you can give me some advice.
Gear can be found at http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... n=Maejara#

P.S: I know my shoulders suck =)

Edit: ok timetable has changed, the guild im going with plans to go to kara in less than 1 hour *scared*

Maejara
Maejara

Postby Lightskin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:33 am

You must be uncrushable because he can hit hard sometimes and you dont want that.

You also want to make sure you have two warlocks spamming seed on illhoof to take care of adds.

You also want to make sure you have at least 11~12k unbuffed, raid buffed around 14~15k to be safe.

He's easy to aoe tank, but make sure you have people killing chains and make sure you keep holy shield up.

I tank near the center of the chains so my aoe consecrate hits /ticks and I also assist dps on chains.
Lightskin

Postby Maejara » Tue Jul 03, 2007 10:53 am

Ok, thanks very much i'll have to throw in some agi pots + food to get more dodge rating
Maejara

Postby Lightskin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:59 am

TBH I used flask of fort for HP + defense, but you should be fine if you have around those stats
Lightskin

Postby Gehrond » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:18 pm

Don't forget the festival food, there's +20 def food available.
Gehrond

Postby Maejara » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:28 pm

Ok we tried him several times, at first the druid tanked Terestian but we only got him down to ~60%.
After more tries they asked me to tank terestian+ small imps which went kind of well ^^. We got him down to 40% but were lacking a lot of aoe-damage since there was only 1 mage ;/

Next raid is on Thursday, but anyways thanks for your help =)

Maejara
Maejara

Postby Lightskin » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:09 pm

it is -crucial- you have 2 warlocks
Lightskin

Postby Maejara » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:17 pm

Not my Raidsetup, I was just being that one joining the raid and tanking, but I told the leader (who knows me from some heroics I tanked) that more damage is needed.
For myself it was a testraid and they seemed to be happy with me because they invited me into their guild.
But I'll remember that crucial point :)

Right now, I'm just happy to have a guild that'll let me tank

Edit: Terestian was/still is the only Boss left in the instance

Mae
Maejara

Postby Maruko_ » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:28 pm

Lightskin wrote:it is -crucial- you have 2 warlocks

Not true.
We regularly kill Illhoof with only one lock.
However, we use a different strat which we find to give us more consistent success.

Tank Illhoof+Imp pretty much right where he's standing (A pally tank can do this solo, or you can also use an OT to pick up the elite imp). Lock stands behind that, between the two portals but close enough to Illhoof so that he is also being hit by the lock's aoe. Lock basically hellfires the entire fight to grab and kill the imps (his hellfire also hits Illhoof so helps with dps, and if a pally is tanking consecration also helps kill the little imps). DPS ignores Elite Imp add, he'll die to AOE/Tank dmg. DPS should be on Chains/Illhoof.

For healing we have 1 healer dedicated to healing the lock, and two others (usually a specced healer and then a hybrid in their healing gear) on the MT and the rest of the raid.
(not always accurate, I spec holy for arena)
Maruko_

Postby Questioner » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:05 am

We do it all the time without any locks at all. Our preferred method is actually without a warlock.

We have the OT whirlwind/cleave/victory rush the imps. He does not have trouble with spell pushback like the warlock does, and has more life as well.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28109 works pretty well for him, too.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Strom » Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:10 am

I actually tank all the little imps along with illhoof and his big imp buddy. If any stray imps get loose and attack another, we have a mage that blasts the stray down. Also, when I start taking a lot of damage from so many imps.... I have the mage AoE them away.

It works like a charm.
Strom

Postby Lightskin » Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:28 am

I'll say this...

Seed of corrutpion + dots + all dmg focus on illhoof.
Illhoof with seeds on him = all the adds dead.
Lightskin

Postby Julian » Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:20 pm

Yeah, I just tank everything on that fight. We rely on incidental AE damage from things like multishot/whirlwind/blade flurry/chain lightning to keep the imp population somewhat under control, and call for explicit AE periodically to make sure it happens.
Julian

Postby Nebuchadneza » Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:54 pm

I OT'd the encounter last night and the freedom of casting Holy Wrath with 20+ imps around the place was awesome fun!! Mana wasn't really a drama with all the agro and the warlock died half way through the fight.
Nebuchadneza

Postby Maranus » Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:01 pm

Lightskin wrote:I'll say this...

Seed of corrutpion + dots + all dmg focus on illhoof.
Illhoof with seeds on him = all the adds dead.

On my lock, I've always done it with solo SoC spam (and shadowfury, when appropriate) Nether Protection will help tons, but I've personally never used it while on SoC spam duty on that fight.
Maranus

Next

Return to Karazhan