Remove Advertisements

My gear and The Botanica

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

My gear and The Botanica

Postby Vash » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:14 am

Yesterday I decided to try and do the daily,which was Heroic Botanica.Being a little nervous I did the normal one first,to familiarise myself.After completing it(and drinking,ALOT),I felt I could go to the Heroic,Ive tanked Heroic Mechanar a number of times and Heroic SP once,so I wanted to expand a little.Annnyway,after repeated wipes leading up to the first boss,our healer left and we got a priest with a supposed 1800+ healing.Off wew went,we got the first boss and proceeded to give it a go

It didnt go well

We got her down to about 30% or so before I died.We gave it another go and I died after about 10 or 15%.As I release my spirit I look and see the priest with the 1800+ healing say,"Guys,even when I spam heal I cant keep him alive",I then promptly left,seems how I apparently was not up to scratch.

This has really shattered my resolve about tanking other heroics.Ive tanked Kara a bit,I was even MT on curator once,unfortunatly I have an irregular scheduale which prevents me from raiding too much.This is my gear,please tell me what I was doing wrong

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... nos&n=Vash
Vash

Postby Yinramu » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:34 am

Nothing wrong with your gear as far as I can tell.

Unless you're sitting at every swing timer or tanking the fight with your back to the boss, I can't see why it would be impossible (or even necessarily difficult) to keep you up through this fight, especially with a healer specced for healing with 1800 healing.

Were you (or the healer) dispelling the stacking debuff that she throws on? It increases the damage you take from arcane spells/abilities, so if you have a nice stack of those on you, and she does her little special, it's going to hurt a lot. That's the only thing that comes to mind for what could be causing you to drop like a brick.
Yinramu

Postby Vash » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:38 am

I went through the first time without noticing them,so I guess the healer may have been dispelling,second time I did and cast a cleanse whenever I could(without screwing up my rotation)
Vash

Postby Yinramu » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:47 am

I should clarify that you're also not overgearing the instance.

I would check the healer's claims that they have 1800 healing. There are two roles that can really carry a group through an instance: the tank and the healer.

Since, gear-wise, you're not undergearing the instance (and barring your playstyle, which may leave something to be desired - however since you're using these forums, you're probably either improving, or aren't terrible - I can't say), I'm inclined to say that it was something wrong with the healer.

As far as the earlier wipes, the trash with the menders and the greenskeepers(sp?) can be brutal. Their shocks and wrath spells hurt. A lot. And they can lock down healers/caster dps with one untimely one.

The best advice I can give is dust yourself off, and try again.
Yinramu

Postby Rokh » Sun Feb 17, 2008 3:06 pm

The 1st boss of heroic botanica casts a Debuff every 2-3 seconds that increases all damage taken by 1000 arcane damage.. and it stacks indefinatly.

If you were not dispelling this then at 10-15% you prolly were taking 10,000 bonus arcan damage per hit..

Sweet thing about being a paladin tank is just spam cleanse and your golden..

Heroics are easy if you know the tricks :)

and IMO heroic botanica is the easiest heroic in the game bar none.
If all your DPS has their free welfair epics, you can get your 5 badges in about 40min
Rokh

Postby Lalecize » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:16 pm

Probably your healer dude. There are crap ones out there.

I have tanked every heroic sucessfully and easily now. I can blast through heroic SV in about 45-50 mins.

Heres my horror story for you to cheer you up.

The other day I did heroic SV with a pally healer with +1700 claimed heals. He had a good mix of kara and pvp epics so I thought we were all set.

I nearly died on a bog lord which worried me a little, and we cleared our way to the first boss with 2 wipes. The healer admitted it was his bad and I was all happy (I have no worries if you fuck up as long as u admit it and apologize).

So we get to the first boss and I outline the strat. Now im with guildies who know the instance well...as I said we usually do it in 45-50 mins.

So we trundle on in and we wipe. Two dps drop hard right at the start, then I do.

So we run back in and try it twice more. Each time same story. This is from an epic healer. So I kindly tell him im replacing him and we grab a priest.

We head to the first boss. Boom...WIPE.
Ok....
Try again....
WIPE.

So I boot the healer nicely explaining im gna replace him. Now he goes nuts at me over whisper about how its the stupid dps fault, how im a prick for booting him etc etc. He ignores me and dissappers. My guildies laugh...they know it isn't us.
(The clouds do hurt the party, and they were jumping out as soon as they saw them. The fight really takes a healer who can party heal not just spam FoL on the tank)

So as we are standing around one of the guild healers logs in. A resto druid.

Suhweet, I grab him, he comes along. We line up the first boss.
Boom

DEAD (the boss), with none of us below half health. We went on to power through the rest of the run in about half an hour.

Sorry for the long ranty story, im just saying basically that no matter what gear they have, they could be utter balls. You can't buy skill :D

The first boss in heroic bot is usually the easiest IMO. If a healer cant keep you up through it, then replace em. You will not get through the rest of the run.
Lalecize

Postby Tyaera » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:23 pm

if anyone ever makes ANY noise at all about "i have over 9000 plus healz LOL l2play" I always make a point of checkin their gear on the armory.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Worldie » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:05 pm

I would also be interested in what kind of heals he were using. Cause if he hoped to keep you up with flash heals, he got a problem ^^
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Neejo » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:01 am

true from a post-holy pala perspective... i can guarantee you that healing kara isnt the same as healing an heroic... told it against the pvp-geared pala in my party yesterday aswell. healing heroic =/= healing kara.
He told me shut up and that i didnt had a clue what pala-healing was all about.
switched prot --> holy gear for showing off. The poor guy didnt had a thing to say! my healing gear is between T4 and T5 so its pretty decent.

Although i have a small question: is belt of the guardian worth getting? and which badge loots are the most interesting? boght the libram alrdy. should i go for the boots or the chest first?(wearing righteous chest and boots from 1st boss SL normal)
Ebann `Protection Paladin ` Shattered Hand - EU
Neejo

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:06 am

Rokh wrote:The 1st boss of heroic botanica casts a Debuff every 2-3 seconds that increases all damage taken by 1000 arcane damage.. and it stacks indefinatly.

If you were not dispelling this then at 10-15% you prolly were taking 10,000 bonus arcan damage per hit..

Sweet thing about being a paladin tank is just spam cleanse and your golden..

This. Took me a couple tries to notice the debuff too, but if you cleanse it every time it procs on you, you'll be fine and take so little damage it's not even funny. At 2 stacks her arcane attack can already be mortal if your healer isn't on the ball.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Uthadanin » Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:06 am

Neejo wrote:true from a post-holy pala perspective... i can guarantee you that healing kara isnt the same as healing an heroic... told it against the pvp-geared pala in my party yesterday aswell. healing heroic =/= healing kara.
He told me shut up and that i didnt had a clue what pala-healing was all about.
switched prot --> holy gear for showing off. The poor guy didnt had a thing to say! my healing gear is between T4 and T5 so its pretty decent.

Although i have a small question: is belt of the guardian worth getting? and which badge loots are the most interesting? boght the libram alrdy. should i go for the boots or the chest first?(wearing righteous chest and boots from 1st boss SL normal)

i put the righteous chest in my healing set picked up the aldor revered one for tanking. I would do the chest first. Kara boot drops from both trash and chess event. They are both nice...
Uthadanin

Postby Peze » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:19 am

Just like everyone has said, spam cleanse whenever you can, If you dont use autoself cast this is a fight to change it on, if the debuff is not up it wont waste any mana.
Peze

Postby guillex » Mon Feb 18, 2008 9:34 am

5k gold on the fact that "spam healing" meant spam Flash Heals.

That doesn't work for Heroics. Find a healer who knows how to heal properly, when to flash heal and when to be tossing out the big guns.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Vash » Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:36 am

I appreciate all the replies guys,I have a feeling it might have been the healer,as Ive never dropped that fast on a Heroic Boss before,hell even the two bog lords in UB didnt slam me into the ground like she did.And I really do have to thank you for the tips on the arcane thing,I shall definatly turn on self-buff for the fight.

Just one question,which healer classes can dispell magic effects bar paladins?
Vash

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 18, 2008 1:23 pm

Priests...not sure about shaman, and druids are stuck with curses.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics