Remove Advertisements

Tanking Hydross

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby jere » Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:47 pm

Honorshammer wrote:Does anyone have a link to a video of a Paladin Main Tanking the Frost aspect?

I have tanked the frost side, but I only have video of myself tanking the nature. Was there something particular about the frost side you were interested in? There is very little difference either way.

Here is an old video (before they fixed his aggro range):
http://forum.chival.de/thread.php?threadid=376

The pally in that video is tanking Frost.
jere

Postby jere » Fri Jan 11, 2008 7:58 pm

This is more recent, but it is tanking the nature side and not the frost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fjDphQevgtg

We make a few mistakes here and there, but the fight goes mostly smoothly. I am waiting for one more of our warriors to get some full resist so I can start tanking adds and keep them under better control than we do.

There really is no difference in tanking either frost or nature other than you might not have a JotC up at the beginning for a few seconds if you are on the Frost side. After the first transition though, it is pretty much the same.
jere

Postby honorshammer » Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:28 am

Thanks for all the help.

1 dead Hydross on Friday night.
honorshammer

Postby Rónin » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:32 pm

I'm just scrolling all over the place looking for a decent total gear overview of Paladins in here that have the honour to tank the Frost Stage on Hydross with max Frost Resistance and 490 defense. So far i couldn't find any detailed overview. Can some of you give me some examples of gear sets that gives me 295 + FrR while maintaining 490 defense, inclusing gems and enchants?

Currently I'm gearing up as well for the job ahead of us...

Thanks in advance.

Regards,
Rónin

Postby jere » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Personally, I didn't go 295 frost. I went 257 (327 with aura) frost and 475 defense and finished the rest off with resilience. I didn't gem anything special on the other pieces, just what I normally wore outside the resist pieces:

Frost helm + FR enchant (KoT I think)
Frost Chest + 150 health
Frost Legs + clefthide leg armor
2 green FR rings
green FR belt

After that I just chose pieces high in stam and defense (and threat if I could). I think among them were the Boots of the Protector, the bracers of dignity, and the T4 gloves/shoulders (for the 2 piece threat bonus)

The S2 gavel and shield are nice cause they provide resilience, which stacks with defense against crits.

That's all I remember off hand.
jere

Postby aybarra » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:18 am

Hmmm, Ive read around in all theese threads to find out more about this dude.
My situation is this. my guild never can seem to get enough people to do the 25 mans. But ive been invited to join another guild for TK and SSC runs as guest tank, their maintank stopped playing and there OT (now MT) only has a nature res gear. They lack tanks and our guild lacks healers so we are going to work together on the 25 mans.
We downed lurker and probably will try on hydross soon so Ive started to collect a frost gear, farmed for 2 days and have had the head and chest made for me and I made the ring. Problem for me is I'm not crit immune now and will never be it when I replace my leggings also.
Should I go all out on resilence instead? Seems to be cheaper per % to get uncrittable. (talking enchants here)

From what Ive read here I cant block the attacks and maybe will struggle with threat, shoul I replace libram for the badge threat one instead? should I also replace like boots (TK ones with a lot of blockrating) for the elusion with dodge (if hes attacks are dodgeble).

Having a real problem with resistance gear since I cant find any good posts concentrating on res gear. all is about uncrushability like pre kara.
aybarra

Postby Tyaera » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:16 pm

Hydross doesn't crush so don't worry about being uncrushable. Crit-immunity...I'm not sure if Hydross can crit too, but I imagine he can.

It depends how close you are to crit immunity, too. If you're fairly close you can get by.

Resilience is nice to bridge the gap.
better to tank in hell than DPS in heaven
Tyaera

Postby Everlight » Sun Feb 17, 2008 9:38 pm

I'll be tanking him tonight. 365 FR buffed, but with about 0.4% chance of him to crit me. While that's not very pleasant at all, I've got so much frost resist under my belt that I'm pretty sure it'll be ok regardless.

For once, the Dwarf FR racial came in handy.
Everlight

Postby Everlight » Mon Feb 18, 2008 4:03 pm

Everlight wrote:I'll be tanking him tonight. 365 FR buffed, but with about 0.4% chance of him to crit me. While that's not very pleasant at all, I've got so much frost resist under my belt that I'm pretty sure it'll be ok regardless.

For once, the Dwarf FR racial came in handy.

Postscript: Tanked him last night, smashed him on the third attempt ever. Having the small crit chance was not a problem whatsoever, the capped resist made up for it easily.
Everlight

Postby Zolexa » Sat Feb 23, 2008 12:05 pm

Been playing around trying to find a decent ratio of +resist to hps. This current set up on warcrafter I would only need to purchase the 2 PVP items and finish the crafted slots. (trying to minimize the need for arena points, I already have Amani Punisher, have about 3k banked arena points)

http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/31234

12300 hps
439 defense
91 resiliance
351 buffed resist
337 spell dmg

Does anyone see any obvious trade-offs I missed?

Does the resist cloak sound good or should I stick w/ a more tank friendly cloak w/ high stamina? The hps sound light to me, but most posts I am reading have something in the 11-12k range?
Zolexa

Postby Arkellian » Sun Feb 24, 2008 1:16 am

I've been tanking the nature phase recently for our guild, as our geared Warrior hasn't been showing up. I was the only other person with gear; I was previously an adds tank (often tanking all 4).

Threat is an issue without blocks. I've found that tossing Avenger's Shield and praying it doesn't miss, and then having DPS hold off until the adds tank(s) call for AoE works.

Don't use Seal of Vengeance as it is just too slow and risky, and you'll get more mileage out of using a Libram of Divine Purpose (63 to Righteousness). Don't drop Consecration until the adds tanks(s) call for AoE. Helps to have a ret Paladin keeping JotCr up so you don't have to apply it.

For max resistance (75% reduction) you need 365 resist, so 295 with a Hunter's Aspect of the Wild aura.

My unbuffed stats: 13987 health, 451 defense, 331 +spell damage (not including Libram of Divine Purpose), 298 resist (368 buffed).

Wildguard Helm (crafted) 50 resist + 20 resist Glyph of Nature Warding
Wildguard Breastplate (crafted) 60 resist + 150 health enchant
Wildguard Legs (crafted) 60 resist + 10 resist Savage Guard
Amber Cloak of Nature Protection (AH green) 21 resist + 15 resist enchant
The Natural Ward (crafted) 35 resist
Shattered Hand Belt of Nature Protection (AH green) 27 resist

Arkellian

Postby Drace » Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:41 am

Hello guys, im new in the forum, our nature res tank left the guild and, well, time to me to get hydros nature fase.

And we made it ^^.

Too bad im using t4 shoulders and t5 gloves, ( block argh ) but nice spell damage.

I think i take 1 or 2 ads too, after warriors gets them near hydros, at last 1 for sure because a fury warrior grab his ad close to me ^^

Here i leave a photo: http://img521.imageshack.us/img521/3337 ... 421gp2.jpg

Im so happy because i usually only take ads.

Thanks for all the advices you posted here ^^ and sorry for my english, im spanish.
Drace

Postby Dazhbog » Tue Feb 26, 2008 12:42 am

Tanked nature phase tonight: 365 NR, 490 def, and 11.5K HP unbuffed (about 15.8k buffed) Went smooth as silk, one shotted him and moved on.
Dazhbog

Postby Achtung » Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:26 pm

I'll be trying this as NR tank tonight, am looking forward to it (especially after spending so much on the NR set -_-...).

I've got 12.5k(ish) hp unbuffed, 287 NR resist, 487 def and about 350~ spell damage.

I'll be using wizard oil on my weap and should I also use flask of blinding light or fort to boost my def/hp a little?
Yae, 80 Paladin, Aman'thul Horde - Retired Feb '09
Achtung

Postby Ajantis » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:53 am

Hello people,

My first post on this neat forum is about Hydross and his FrR phase.

As already happened to other people in this thread, my guild FrR tank is on a temporary pause from WoW so I was provided with full FrR gear:

The Frozen Eye 2x
Iceguard Helm
Iceguard Breastplate
Iceguard Leggins
Pendant of Thawing

for a total of 265 FrR unenchanted and unbuffed.

But before equipping all that gear I wanted to be sure that the encounter was actually doable by a Paladin (I always tanked the adds), so I came here :)

I was particularly worried about the pull, but after reading the thread I learned about the Invisibility Potion Trick and about the reduced aggro radius of the boss so I guess that the pull should be safe now.

My second worry is the Defense rating: swapping my gear with that FrR one will probably kill my defense... do you have any suggestion about this?

Third... any particular trick I should know?

Thank you,

Aj.
Ajantis

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern