Remove Advertisements

Leotherass Demon phase tanking

Hydross, Lurker, Leotheras, Fathom-Lord, Tidewalker, Vashj

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:49 pm

Kyroro wrote:A question about your FR gear, was it all the badge gear?

That's a LOT of heroic badges to farm...

Yep...while it's possible to hit cap without it, there's no substitute for the best. Besides, you'll have a good head start on Illidan, and it comes in handy for Anetheron too :P

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Ordin » Sat Feb 16, 2008 8:28 pm

It's looking like I'm going to be tanking the demon phase (at least until one of my warlocks gets his FR up), and I have a few questions.

I can get the FR cap with the gear set I've been gathering, so that's not an issue. However, there's no way I could maintain uncrushable or even uncrittable with my FR set. As far as I can tell, I won't be dealing with any attacks other than the Chaos Blast, so I shouldn't have to worry about crits or crushes. Is this correct?

Secondly, how often does the stacking debuff occur? Can I bubble out of the debuff more than once during the fight?

Finally, is he actually classified as a demon during this phase? EG, I want to exorcise the crap out of him. :P

Thanks for any answers.
-Ordin
Seraph of Divine Retribution

http://drthrall.com

Ordin

Postby Korath » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:53 am

We tried and downed him for the 1st time last night... 9% on 1st try and death on 2nd. Ended up being alot easier than was expected.

I was in my full tanking gear but swapped out my sheild for Nightbane SD one, Al'ar pally SD trinket, used flask of blinding light, +23SD food, and Wizard Oil (540 SD with often procs giving +290 more).

I was the MT on his human phase and we had demonology lock for the demon phase.

Everyone stood in a big circle around the boss (max range) while I tanked him in the middle on the ramp. When he went into wirlwind everyone ran away (increasing space between them). I stayed in the middle and did a couple rank 1 SoR to get trinket to proc and then started throwingn sheild at him when he had 1sec left on WW. (2x feral druids ready to try and pick him up aswell if all went wrong). Kept SoCr on him aswell to help with threat.

If i got a demon... SoCr, Exorsism, JoR, Hammer did the job damn quickly.

As for the tanking lock at 15%, we had a holy pally DI him to get rid of debuffs before he split and then the holy pally SS and get innovate.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Faylinn » Fri Feb 22, 2008 5:26 am

I have been asked to start looking a building an FR set for this. and have a few questions.

first off all my tanking experience is post BC, and until now I have not had to worry about resist fights. So I am a little clueless on stat priority.

1) Does the demon melee at all?
2) Are crits an issue, do I still need 490 def?
3) I am assuming crushings are not an issue...if he doesn't melee

also:
We have a few locks, 1 that is going to re-spec soul link, should I be telling my gm to f-off and force one of the other locks to respec as an alternative rather then a pallie?

100 BoJ seems like a high cost for just one fight...

Right now I am looking at using the Badge FR gear, and mixing in the Flamebane bracers and helm which with a few gems and patches should bring me to the cap.
Bouncelot 60 Human Paladin - StormScale
Faylinn

Postby Bryne » Fri Feb 22, 2008 8:32 am

You will use the FR gear for Anetheron and Illidan, at the very minimum. It's a good investment.
Bryne

Postby YoYoMa » Fri Feb 22, 2008 1:29 pm

Well first off Leo only uses chaos blast as an attack mechanism during demon form. So all you really need are fire resist and hp.

You're much better letting the lock tank him in demon form. When he hits you with chaos blast you you'll radiate some aoe splash damage to anybody in 8-yard radius of you. So you really need to be standing at your max range where you can still hit him and generate aggro. Meanwhile all the melee will need to be standing at max range so they aren't affected by your splash damage. It's doable just tricker than having a lock tank it.
YoYoMa

Postby Dazhbog » Sat Mar 01, 2008 2:45 am

Probably a silly question, since warlocks tank it and all, but you don't need def cap for demon tanking, do you?

Looks like our main warlock tank may be missing some nights, so time for me to save up 100 badges.
Dazhbog

Postby Rasmfrackn » Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:02 pm

NPC spells can't crit, or we'd all be screwed. If you're only tanking the demon phase, you don't need defense, no. If you're going to tank both phases, you might as well keep some stam to make the humanoid phases easier. The humanoid phase isn't as dangerous to the tank, though, so the FR is the priority.
Rasmfrackn
Dwarf Paladin
Icecrown Server
Eng/Scribe/Masochist
Rasmfrackn

Postby Jikozani » Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:45 pm

You can easily tank both phases in FR gear - he hits like a pussy in normal form and suffers from dual-weild miss penalty which makes it fairly easy to be uncrushable-uncrittable with your holy shield up. Like it's been said, in demon form he only casts - and tbh you 're a better choice than a lock, because you should have more hp and you should be able to make more threat (than a lock in fr gear ofc). The aoe blast around you shouldn't be a problem to the melee unless they are stupid.

Having sov ticking on him at all times and being able to burst with judgement-as-exorcism between phase switches really makes the fight trivial.

Oh and I almost forgot, each time he hits you with his fire spell, he applies a debuff on you increasing fire damage taken, which stacks. What's really neat is that you can clear those debuffs with bubble.
Jikozani

Postby Dazhbog » Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:44 am

Jikozani wrote:You can easily tank both phases in FR gear - he hits like a pussy in normal form and suffers from dual-weild miss penalty which makes it fairly easy to be uncrushable-uncrittable with your holy shield up. Like it's been said, in demon form he only casts - and tbh you 're a better choice than a lock, because you should have more hp and you should be able to make more threat (than a lock in fr gear ofc). The aoe blast around you shouldn't be a problem to the melee unless they are stupid.

Having sov ticking on him at all times and being able to burst with judgement-as-exorcism between phase switches really makes the fight trivial.

Oh and I almost forgot, each time he hits you with his fire spell, he applies a debuff on you increasing fire damage taken, which stacks. What's really neat is that you can clear those debuffs with bubble.

I know that, you know that, but my warlock is excited about doing it, is already working on the FR gear, and gets pissy at me (roomies) when I suggest that the melee won't have that much of a problem. What can you do?

If I was tanking demon phase, we'd have the bear and the warriors on the not demon phase, so I don't have to do both.
Dazhbog

Postby Uthadanin » Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:39 am

Candiru wrote:bear in mind that you can use divine intervention to reset the stack of debuffs on the warlock/other tank doing the deamon phase if you hit 15% while he still has stacks on him. Make sure to yell on vent for him to click off the buff though!

This obviously costs you your life, but in some situations can save the raid.

but if you have a soulstone, its just an inconvenience, lol.
Uthadanin

Postby Magnusharkov » Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:14 am

Has anyone seriously tanked both forms while in flame resist gear? How do you handle it when he splits?
Magnusharkov

Postby Azulito » Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:23 pm

i'm also interested in solo tanking leo... i have the resist for it, and might have the defense/resil to be uncrittable... but can he crush? i'm left with 10% or so crushing, and only 12.5k health unbuffed.
Azulito

Postby Nottebella » Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Jikozani wrote:you should be able to make more threat (than a lock in fr gear ofc)

I have a warlock and a prot paladin. While any tank class can demon phase Leo, there's big reasons locks do it. The biggest is your point here is totally wrong. No tank could even dream to crank out the kind of threat that searing pain does. Even in my FR gear I'm still almost hit capped with well over 1.1k spell damage, and I'm not even specced for additional searing pain crit (specced for raiding felguard), and the instant I have aggro I tell everyone to go all out because I know they can't catch me. I'll frequently stop searing pain and just switch to shadow bolt for more dps after about 25 seconds because my threat lead is so high. I've also forgotten to take off salvation and still successfully outaggroed the raid by a wide margin. It's also simple to reach the FR cap on a lock, it just takes the four badge pieces, a flask, a pet, and a paladin, you don't have to severely gimp your gear. You also are at range so the splash damage is minimal. The fight was clearly designed for a lock offtank, and as such, if you have a lock as an option, it's the one you should use.

Now, that said, the idea of one tank doing both phases is a very amusing idea, but what do you do at 15%? Can't really tank them both at that point.
Nottebella - 70 - Argent Dawn
Nottebella

Postby Peredemer » Wed Apr 09, 2008 6:53 am

Things needed for tanking this with a Paladin:

- 365 FR (no less, dont try without that)
- ~400 spell damage self buffed (food, stick gel etc)
- ~13,000 HP unbuffed

Group make up should be roughly:
- Shadow Priest
- WoA Shaman
- ret paladin
Any class that can give you mana back and increase your spell damage helps.

Method:

Keep JOTC up on him at least 30 seconds before hand. 1 second before switch, start casting Holy Wrath, then Avengers Sheild, exorcism, judge SoR, and consecrate - This will give ~10k threat right off the bat.
Consecrate if mana is permitting - and keep all your abilities on cooldown, and pot when ever its up during the fight.

The main issue i found was keep mana up, i had to pot like mad.

You will have to have your DPS watch threat carefully, and be aware that if you go close to OOM your threat will slow.

You can bubble to wipe fire debuffs, and if you remove it quick enough 2nd agro wont get a fireball. This is extra good on the 15% zerg - effectively doubling your DPS time to get his human form down.

Wouldn't recommend taking the job over a warlock - they're much more suited to the task, and we are better for tanking the human phase anyway.
Peredemer

PreviousNext

Return to Serpentshrine Cavern