TPS and how to guesstimate it?

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

TPS and how to guesstimate it?

Postby Girard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:33 am

How can I calcluate what my TPS should be?

For instance, when my consecrate ticks for 95, it should register on KTM with Imp. RF as being 180TPS (95*1.9).. yet it only shows me ticking for about 100 in threat.

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet so I can plug in whatever spelldamage I have, and it gives me an accurate reading of what my actual threat will be (including baseline damage).

I've read where 1spelldamage = .63 threat which helps. But what is the actual threat my consecrate generates at rank X with Y +dmg? Or for righteousness?

I understand spell coefficients, but are there threat coeffiecents too?
Girard

Re: TPS and how to guesstimate it?

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:39 am

Girard wrote:How can I calcluate what my TPS should be?

For instance, when my consecrate ticks for 95, it should register on KTM with Imp. RF as being 180TPS (95*1.9).. yet it only shows me ticking for about 100 in threat.

I'm trying to create a spreadsheet so I can plug in whatever spelldamage I have, and it gives me an accurate reading of what my actual threat will be (including baseline damage).

I've read where 1spelldamage = .63 threat which helps. But what is the actual threat my consecrate generates at rank X with Y +dmg? Or for righteousness?

I understand spell coefficients, but are there threat coeffiecents too?

The only threat coefficients for our holy damage is Righteous Fury, which increases threat by up to 90% (talented) and Holy Shield has a built in 35% increase to it's threat. When you tested consecrate, did you make sure you had Righetous Fury running? If not, then it was pretty accurate.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Re: TPS and how to guesstimate it?

Postby Girard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:43 am

Fridmarr wrote:The only threat coefficients for our holy damage is Righteous Fury, which increases threat by up to 90% (talented) and Holy Shield has a built in 35% increase to it's threat. When you tested consecrate, did you make sure you had Righetous Fury running? If not, then it was pretty accurate.

It was =/
Girard

Postby Arcand » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:48 am

Here's my attempt at quantifying our threat output:

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?p=1323#1323

The conclusion is about halfway through the first post and is in bold blue and red.
Arcand

Postby Girard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:28 pm

Nice to see another Edmonton Tankadin =)

I plugged your formulas into my spreadsheet. Now, some tougher questions:

Judgement of the crusader, is it always +190 damage effectively, or does it scale?

Does Ret aura get affected by +dmg? I think not. And it doesn't show up in my combat log for some reason. Does it get affected by RF?

Does holy shield really benefit from the +5% one-handed spec or not? Your formula assumes it does, since you do the 5% increase after all other calculations. Yet I've heard/read otherwise.
Girard

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:32 pm

Girard wrote:Nice to see another Edmonton Tankadin =)

I plugged your formulas into my spreadsheet. Now, some tougher questions:

Judgement of the crusader, is it always +190 damage effectively, or does it scale?

Does Ret aura get affected by +dmg? I think not. And it doesn't show up in my combat log for some reason. Does it get affected by RF?

Does holy shield really benefit from the +5% one-handed spec or not? Your formula assumes it does, since you do the 5% increase after all other calculations. Yet I've heard/read otherwise.

JoTC is a flat amount of spell dmg, it can be improved via talents and I think there are a couple of pieces of gear that effect it, though none that tanks typcially wear.

Ret aura is not affected by +spell dmg but it is affected by percent modifiers, ie 1hand spec, sanctity aura, local pvp buff, Avenging Wrath etc. Blessing of Sanctuary works the same way.

Yes, 1hand spec increases ALL dmg done if you have a 1hand weapon equipped.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Girard » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:41 pm

Cool. And does JOTC get added in with your +Dmg, or does it get added after? =)

Also, how would I go about calculating how much +dmg http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27917 does.
Girard

Postby Fridmarr » Tue Jul 03, 2007 2:33 pm

Girard wrote:Cool. And does JOTC get added in with your +Dmg, or does it get added after? =)

Also, how would I go about calculating how much +dmg http://www.wowhead.com/?item=27917 does.

Treat JoTC just like it increased your spell dmg directly like an elixir would, but only when attacking the debuffed mob of course.

The libram is iffy. I don't have one so I can't test it, but it'll do one of the following.

A. It increases the base amount Consecrate does by 47
B. It increases your spell dmg by 47 as far as consecrate is concerned.

The really cool thing is though, that Consecrate has like 94% coefficient, so ultimately it doesn't matter all that much.

Max rank Consecrate does 512 dmg, if option A took effect it would do 559 dmg. If option B took effect it would do 556 dmg so not much of a difference at all. My guess is that it is option B which would be more consistent with other librams, but without testing I can't be sure. The only time it would have a large effect is if you were downranking consecrate because the coefficient drops off a good bit at lower ranks.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations