Remove Advertisements

Charred Earth on Nightbane

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Charred Earth on Nightbane

Postby Wraith » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:30 pm

My question is about what you do when you get Charred Earth under you.
Last night I tanked Nightbane and had a patch of Charred Earth under me. I tried to pivot him 180, but while he was turning, a Smoldering Breath hit and took out 1/2 the dps and healers.

Should I put up Fire Res Aura and take the Charred Earth like a Tankadin?

I have had success on Prince doing this with the infernals. It is easier for me to eat the infernal damage than to get out of range of the healers and possibly have the party have to move into the Infernal to heal (makes for quick wipe).

Please don't point me to another Nightbane thread, I have read them all and 99% of them talk about fears and macros for fears. There was one post on this and nobody answered.
Wraith

Postby Everlight » Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:33 pm

Nightbane never casts Charred earth on his aggro target. If you're getting a Charred Earth on you, someone in melee range was too close to you.

Make sure they stay at his hindquarters.
Everlight

Postby Wraith » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:08 pm

The melee was too close. I have seen it happen where they get one charred earth and move out of it. I just happened to get caught in the second one. There are no guarantees that a melee won't get too close in the future and I will get caught in charred earth again. Next time that happens I plan on just eating the extra damage because my attempt to turn him almost caused a wipe. I was wanting to know if anyone has had experience taking the extra damage and if it caused them any problems.
Wraith

Postby Everlight » Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:24 pm

I've only had to eat it once, and that wasn't pleasant. Other times, I've strafed to the side far enough to shift him, then moved back to get him perpendicular to the raid again.

Just make sure when you shift him that you don't point his head at the raid - you're way safer with his tail pointing at the raid (tail swipe does a lot less damage than Smoldering Breath).
Everlight

Postby mazater » Tue Jan 22, 2008 7:08 am

You should just stand in the Charred Earth and tell your DPS to move away from the charred earth, our warrior tank always does this, couse he's too busy stancedancing.

I don't even find it hard to heal him with my shammy when he just stancedances at the charred earth.
mazater

Postby Uthadanin » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:06 pm

Mazater wrote:You should just stand in the Charred Earth and tell your DPS to move away from the charred earth, our warrior tank always does this, couse he's too busy stancedancing.

I don't even find it hard to heal him with my shammy when he just stancedances at the charred earth.

I don't have a warrior, but why would him stancedancing have anything to do with charred earth?
Uthadanin

Postby Bryne » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:35 pm

Wraith wrote:The melee was too close. I have seen it happen where they get one charred earth and move out of it. I just happened to get caught in the second one. There are no guarantees that a melee won't get too close in the future and I will get caught in charred earth again.

There's zero reason for a Charred Earth to ever end up under you, the balcony is wide enough for melee to stand on the other side putting you out of CE range.

If your melee are dumb enough to run in front of him to move out of one and risk eating a cleave or a breath, you need to replace them with ones who aren't.
Bryne

Postby Katatonia » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:59 pm

Uthadanin wrote:
Mazater wrote:You should just stand in the Charred Earth and tell your DPS to move away from the charred earth, our warrior tank always does this, couse he's too busy stancedancing.

I don't have a warrior, but why would him stancedancing have anything to do with charred earth?

It doesn't. The warrior should only have to stance dance at most once a phase, and that's assuming you have zero priests in the raid for fear ward. I bring two priests and never have to worry about the fear with my own abilities.

I've had my melees drop a charred earth on me before, I just rotate him slightly (away from the heal/dps group) and they just have to move a little. Doing Kara with 2 healers, one usually undergeared so that we don't turn too much stuff into voids, I really don't like to risk standing in the charred earth.

I do agree though that if your melees are getting you hit with charred earth regularly it's time to have a talk with them about where they need to stand. Maybe they don't realize that if they have to dodge a previous charred earth it is never acceptable to move closer to the tank rather than simply running through Nightbane to his other hind leg.

Also, 235 pixel wide avatars suck ass.
Katatonia

Postby Wraith » Tue Jan 22, 2008 5:57 pm

This happened when I was helping another guild clear kara, my guild took a break for a week. Their raid leader split the dps/heals into two groups and had one on each side of Nightbane.
There was a vid of the fight and the shammy healer thinks his elemental was too close and picked up the charred earth. I went back and watched it and the charred earth is centered on the fire elemental.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agJrrI76Pow

I don't know if elementals are unique or if other pets can pick up the charred earth. Might be something to watchout for.
Wraith

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:57 pm

Katatonia wrote:It doesn't. The warrior should only have to stance dance at most once a phase, and that's assuming you have zero priests in the raid for fear ward. I bring two priests and never have to worry about the fear with my own abilities.

I've done every boss in Kara except this one.. and my warrior RL (whom I've surpassed as our guild's MT! huzzah!) and others keep telling me I can't do it as a pally and warriors have to tank it.. BUT on here like you've said - I hear of pallys tanking it all the time.. I do have 2 priest in my raid group.. what other abilities are you talking about using to cut down on that fear particularly?..

I want to dominate this fight like i have all the others to prove that pallies can tank anything and everything!
"My name is Kaedyn, and I approve this message."
(-Armory-)
Kaedyn

Postby guillex » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:08 pm

Kaedyn wrote:
Katatonia wrote:It doesn't. The warrior should only have to stance dance at most once a phase, and that's assuming you have zero priests in the raid for fear ward. I bring two priests and never have to worry about the fear with my own abilities.

I've done every boss in Kara except this one.. and my warrior RL (whom I've surpassed as our guild's MT! huzzah!) and others keep telling me I can't do it as a pally and warriors have to tank it.. BUT on here like you've said - I hear of pallys tanking it all the time.. I do have 2 priest in my raid group.. what other abilities are you talking about using to cut down on that fear particularly?..

I want to dominate this fight like i have all the others to prove that pallies can tank anything and everything!

The pvp trinket.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Warrender » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:12 pm

Kaedyn wrote: what other abilities are you talking about using to cut down on that fear particularly?..

1) 2 Minute PVP Trinket
2) Macro that lets you Divine Shield and clear it with 2 clicks
3) Macro that lets you BoP yourself and clear it with 2 clicks

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=103
Last edited by Warrender on Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Warrender
Maintankadonor

Postby Invisusira » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:12 pm

OP: Charred Earth will never hit the tank unless your melee are bad. Scold our melee, tell them to get off you.

Re: Fears: PvP trinket, fear ward, bubble/unbubble. Make a macro that has:

/cancelaura Divine Shield
/cancelaura Blessing of Protectio

in it.
Invisusira

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:26 pm

Awesome thanks guys :)

I figured the bubble/bubbleout thing of course, but I didn't even think about the pvp trinket.. thanks for the replies!
"My name is Kaedyn, and I approve this message."
(-Armory-)
Kaedyn

Postby Arcand » Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:11 pm

And if you must change his facing, don't run in an arc around him. Run as straight as you can at and through the center of his model and he should snap around 180 degrees pretty smartly.
Arcand

Next

Return to Karazhan