Help improving threat

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Help improving threat

Postby Hyouzan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 4:45 pm

I was OTing Kara last week and was having problems maintaining threat past 2 minute on the bosses. I am using Superior Wizard Oil and was using +Sta food and flasks.

I know I need +40sp on my weapon but I'm holding out to see if I can get enough honor for the season1 Gavel.

I still need some more gear to be uncrushed but just looking for help while I wait on lucky drops.

I usually run about 800tps with wings and exorcism but I remember reading somewhere about having 1k+ tps.

Any tips you guys can give would be greatly appreciated..

*Note* I have half of the Arc key quest done, 13 badges towards my libram and short a few runs for CE Rev and Kot Rev.
Hyouzan

Postby Morpheren » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:37 pm

you should hold off until you get your KOT rep and the libram. Try to get as much of the gear from the gear guides here as you can then start MTing. Paladins are wasted slots as OTs IMO.
whatisboom.com - Two parts rocket fuel, one part genius.
Chef Koriel, Guild Master of Fury Untold on Sen'jin
Morpheren

Postby Hyouzan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 6:13 pm

That was my original idea but when they asked me to OT I couldn't pass off getting experience. I am sitting are 91.1% avoidance and only had issues with Netherspite double crushing me. Otherwise is was a pretty easy Kara run.

I know I could get more out of my threat generation I just can't see the forest for the trees.
Hyouzan

Postby Jobah » Thu Feb 14, 2008 3:37 pm

When you say offtanking you mean you are trying to stay 2nd on the threat meters during bosses?
Jobah

Postby Hyouzan » Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:59 pm

Yeah, I try my best to stay #2. This past week I was closer to 102.4% so I was using Flask of Major Fortitude and Adept Elixir and I did a little better on the threat.

I still had issues on the longer fights as I was not tanking the boss and therefore didn't have the damage from Holy Shield helping.

But we are starting another Karazhan group and I will be MT for it. Our guild raid leader says my threat should be fine if I am main tanking the bosses.
Hyouzan

Postby Makaijin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:32 pm

The only places that you really need to be 2nd on threat in kara that I can think of is probably those freezing skeleton trash before the opera, and on Moroes depending on your particular raid's strategy on him. Everything else you'll be a second tank rather than fighting for 2nd in threat. As for Netherspite, a double crush shouldn't really be such a big problem. He doesn't really hit that fast, and the red beam is more than enough to heal you through it, unless you have so many stack of the debuff for your health to drop too low.
Makaijin

Postby sweeney » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:01 am

I've been trying to talk my guild into redefining OT as "Tanks most of the trash and some of the bosses." That job, I can do no problem. :)

When you are main tanking, threat won't be an issue.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Beltaine » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:13 am

I gave up trying to stay #2 on the threatlist as OT. Ran out of mana, and no heals since I was taking little to no damage. That meant when an "Oh shit" moment occurred, I had no mana to taunt, BoP, or anything else I would need to pull threat off of a squishy raid member.
<insert armory sig here>
<witty comment here>
Beltaine

Postby Korath » Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:17 am

I only OT'd one kara, it was horrible and very hard to do as a tankadin when your getting no mana back.

Get uncrushable (if not already) then try and convince the group to allow you to MT, this is easier when the other tank is a druid as most of them are happy to drop into cat and dps.

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Catriona » Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:42 pm

One of our warlocks decided he wanted to come to a Kara on his warrior and tank when I was already in the group, so he came up with this "you tank trash and I'll do bosses" thing.
This lead to me being very annoyed on Attumen, tanking three of the adds plus Moroes, being a cleansebot on Maiden (and then tanking her in my healing gear at the end because the pally healer did not put on BoSac).
After Opera he finally went and respecced fury.

Moral: Pally OTs tend to get bored and bored raid members lead to hilarious overpulls and "watch this!" moments.
Stonemaul
Catriona - holy priest / Chivalry - prot paladin / Spirallis - marks hunter / Daiya - destro lock
Catriona

Return to Karazhan