Nobody will let me tank ANY heroic

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Nobody will let me tank ANY heroic

Postby thrustinga » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:08 pm

I've been easily tanking all the normal instances and want to move into heroics. However! Every time I get into or start a heroic instance group, no matter the instance, someone speaks out against it and tells me or the others in the group that I can't possibly tank it. Then, I either get kicked out of the group or people leave and group falls apart. :cry:

Here is my armory profile, please tell me what I can possibly do to get past the gear inspection stage of a heroic instance group. With this setup I have 102.6% avoidance unbuffed w/ holy shield up.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Badness

P.S. I can't raid. :P
thrustinga

Re: Nobody will let me tank ANY heroic

Postby guillex » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:21 pm

thrustinga wrote:I've been easily tanking all the normal instances and want to move into heroics. However! Every time I get into or start a heroic instance group, no matter the instance, someone speaks out against it and tells me or the others in the group that I can't possibly tank it. Then, I either get kicked out of the group or people leave and group falls apart. :cry:

Here is my armory profile, please tell me what I can possibly do to get past the gear inspection stage of a heroic instance group. With this setup I have 102.6% avoidance unbuffed w/ holy shield up.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Badness

P.S. I can't raid. :P

Start your own group, and convert small amounts of people at a time.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby thrustinga » Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:30 pm

Guillex wrote:Start your own group, and convert small amounts of people at a time.

Sooooooo, my server is full of jerks then. :lol:
thrustinga

Postby Barristan » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:15 pm

thrustinga wrote:
Guillex wrote:Start your own group, and convert small amounts of people at a time.

Sooooooo, my server is full of jerks then. :lol:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... =Barristan

I recently hit 70 maybe... 5 days ago? I've tanked about 7-8 heroics now. Only one wipe out of all of them. You can handle it, just find some people who don't try to overcompensate for their lack of abilities.
Barristan

Postby bubblecannon » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:23 pm

RE: 102.4%
You don't need this for heroics. In fact, I'm not sure you can get crushed by a lvl 72 mob as a lvl 70? Anyone know for sure?

RE: stam
replace your gems with stam. At early levels of the game, stam > all for a learning pally. Also enchant the buggery out of every slot you have to increase you stam.

RE: group
As you'll have low stam, try to get a group that helps you out. (ie. warlock with imp, priest for fort, etc). Whenever possible try to keep BoK up on yourself (where viable). If aoe tanking then BoSanc is generally better but see what your healer prefers.

RE: pots
Always bring fort elixirs, agi pots, food and oil. This will help your survivability and give your party members confidence that you're serious about your job.

Best of luck.
bubblecannon

Postby Converse » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:15 pm

U have way too much avoidence and not enough stam for ur current situation.

Replace all those avoidence gems for 12 stam gems. 1, U will find it easier to get a grp when they see u have 12k+ unbuffed and 2. u dont need 102.4 for heroics.

Heroic Boss's cant crush u and they cant crit u if u have 485 defense.

102.4 and 490 for raid boss's (level 73)

Best of Luck
Vanilla - Kel'thuzad
TBC - 5/6 SWP
WotlK - TBA
Converse

Postby Worldie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 pm

Clueless pugs don't care of your avoidance or spelldamage, they care of the only thing they can see of you, HP.

As they have said, get more HP.
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby grymwulf » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:04 am

As I'm not the best geared Pally here - take a look at what I've done for my gear, I carry around 7 or 8 pieces of gear to swap out depending on the mob. The tanking gloves from maiden and Dawnstone Crab with the Timewarden's Leggings for max hp/def/avoidance - since with Bosses a measly 5-6% decrease in block really isn't going to make that big of a difference.

For trash, I swap out for the gloves/neck from SV, and a couple other pieces of gear to reach 25% block. That with BofSanc & the Darkmoon card means AoE tank galore.

It's basically arranging your gear around what you are trying to do, and customizing it for each encounter. But really, for most Heroics reach 480-490 def and then maximize HP. Heck for awhile there I was even tanking in the Headless Horseman's crit helm w/ 3 x 12 stam gems.
grymwulf

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:23 am

PuGs are Stupid. ALways assume they hate you and will do whatever they can to get you down. They will ignore whatever you say that they can't blatantly see and is also undeniable. ATM that is only your hp.

Swap all your gems for more stamina and you should have a better time.

You realize that they will actually pay attention to you when they check your hp and say "holy shit 14k hp"(you'll need a few epics for this but doing heroics it's quick =D)12k with kings is a good start.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:28 am

Yep, the great health hype is alive and well. When I was doing the Skettis dailies in my soloing/spelldamage gear, I got a "woah!" from an S3-geared warlock who was surprised to see someone with more health than him.

Health isn't the best barometer of gear/skill, but it's the only one that's visible on the party frame.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Korath » Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:49 am

Indeed... with +16% stam from talents and +10% from Kings you want to stack stam and show people your e-peen!

It will change alot of peoples minds when they see huge health pool, 90% of people dont care about avoidance (or even know what it is) :P

.::. Karak 70 Resto Shaman .::.
.::. Sajuuk 70 Destro Warlock .::.
.::. Bentusi 60 Ret Paladin .::.
Korath

Postby Hierax » Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:08 am

I've had some similar frustration regarding armor with folks.

I've done SV ....10-12 times ... ? ...still looking for Devilshark. Anyhow - one trip in with a PuG, we wiped on the final boss...4 folks from another guild and I...mainly due the fact that after I explained about killing the tanks ASAP ...after the first wipe I got...."what tanks ?"...

Almost verbatim from the group "What kinda armor you got ?"
"you need more armor dude"
"we can't beat this with you - we need a different tank"

Of course this was after a 2nd wipe - and 3 enrages.....

Silently I was screaming about enrage - - but I kept my cool for the cloak.

I calmly explained that it doesn't matter (so to speak) what armor I have...bottom line is you have to DPS the tanks down before 10secs else it's gonna be difficult to win the encounter if he enrages.

Anyway - these folks just kept harping on the armor etc..etc...

My guess is they wanted to bring in a friend for the final boss - but who knows for sure - but all they cared about was armor....to say nothing of avoidance, spell dmg or the fact that of the other 11 times I've run SV - there's never been an issue.

But yes - I tend to keep on my max hp gear when invited to a PuG - and swap out some gear underneath depending upon the encounter. Folks are impressed by amount of HPs - it's probably a remnant from EQ - doh
Hierax

Postby sweeney » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:00 am

Yep, they nailed it. If you don't raid, uncrushable is a non-issue.

I typically flip on my max HP set at the start, then put on more avoidance pieces once I've established that the healer knows how to heal a heroic.
Sweeney: 80 Paladin, Runetotem
sweeney

Postby Frickit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:13 am

look for a decent guild. my guild is old school and was unsure about paladins (most people hated them) but after tanking many many heroics with them on easy mode I constantly get told how EASY it is to heal me and how fast we go and how much threat I do and so on... yea the people on your server are dumb, heroics are easy...get some more hp i guess i cant see your armory here.
Frickit

Postby Jimmy » Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:32 am

Korath wrote:Indeed... with +16% stam from talents and +10% from Kings you want to stack stam and show people your e-peen!

It will change alot of peoples minds when they see huge health pool, 90% of people dont care about avoidance (or even know what it is) :P

/agree
Jimmy

Next

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics