Remove Advertisements

Tankadin's Guide to Sunwell Plateau

Kalecgos, Brutallus, Felmyst, M'uru, Entropius, Kil'jaeden

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tankadin's Guide to Sunwell Plateau

Postby Aetherial » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:12 am

This is a work-in-progress on my blog, under the post "Love and Kisses from Sunwell Plateau". Figured some of you guys might find this stuff mildly interesting....
Aetherial

Re: Tankadin's Guide to Sunwell Plateau

Postby Barathorn » Tue Feb 12, 2008 8:14 am

Aetherial wrote:This is a work-in-progress on my blog, under the post "Love and Kisses from Sunwell Plateau". Figured some of you guys might find this stuff mildly interesting....

Thank you Aetherial, exactly what I was looking for. Informative and well written.

Barathorn
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Vanifae » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:06 pm

Nice post, thanks for the info.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby kalbear » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:14 pm

Nice!

Quick question on Kal - is there any reason that you need to do any damage to him in the dragon form? Can the DPS just sit there waiting for their portal to the inner sanctum?
kalbear

Postby DJSticky » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:31 pm

Any chance you have a combat log were Sathrovarr the Corruptor was hitting you? In the attempts I've done I was tanking Kalecgos most of the time bubbling the debuffs and the only time I was able to get some one to taunt Sathrovarr for me the encounter reset because every one up top died.

Just trying to conferm damage output and swing timer for Sathrovarr.
DJSticky

Postby SmurfZG » Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:01 pm

kalbear wrote:Quick question on Kal - is there any reason that you need to do any damage to him in the dragon form? Can the DPS just sit there waiting for their portal to the inner sanctum?

I want to know this too!
SmurfZG

Postby Atreidies » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:41 pm

Your reasonings on tanking Sathrovarr seem right, but he's VERY tankable. I've been MT'ing on my warrior all last night and tonight since my pally hasn't made it to PvE yet. Between myself, another prot warrior and a bear we hold him probably 70% of the fight once the first portal is out. He certainly hits hard, but nothing 3 healers can't deal with, a word to the wise though, wait to taunt until Kalecgos has just taken the knockdown + 8k shadow nuke and it will save you a big burst on your opener.

Haven't yet killed him but we got Sathrovarr banished and Kalecgos(Dragon) to 4% in a heartbreaking wipe. We'll have him tomorrow.

Just to throw this out there, http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/chara ... on&n=Davia my warrior. Paladin is missing 1 item realistically, shoulders, to be on par with gear and I've been MT'ing Kalecgos in full stam gear so my pally would obviously win that race. Shouldn't be an issue for any t6 tank to holy Sathrovarr at all.
Last edited by Atreidies on Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bricksauce]Image
Image[/url]
Atreidies

Postby Atreidies » Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:43 pm

SmurfZG wrote:
kalbear wrote:Quick question on Kal - is there any reason that you need to do any damage to him in the dragon form? Can the DPS just sit there waiting for their portal to the inner sanctum?

I want to know this too!

If you take Kalecgos' Dragon form to 1% he will banish himself, also in bringing EITHER mob under 10% you start the enrage, haven't had any luck with portals spawning after the dragon is banished so we've been killing Sathrovarr first tonight. Same thing for Sathrovarr though, if you take him to 1% he banishes.
[url=http://armory.worldofwarcraft.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Turalyon&n=Bricksauce]Image
Image[/url]
Atreidies

Postby Sielanas » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:17 am

Oh, so after you nuke the evil guy, you still have to kill the dargon? Pity. So you need to have them both around the same health level when it gets low I assume?
Sielanas

Postby DJSticky » Wed Feb 13, 2008 12:35 am

Silly question, mby... Do raid IDs work the same on the PTR as they do on live servers? Ie 7 day reset on 25 mans?
DJSticky

Postby Cakes » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:06 am

Sort of. As far as I'm aware, you don't get saved until you kill a boss, so you can farm trash with any pug if you wanted.
Cakes

Postby DJSticky » Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:15 am

Cakes wrote:Sort of. As far as I'm aware, you don't get saved until you kill a boss, so you can farm trash with any pug if you wanted.

Blah to bad, we plan to have all our raiders transfered by the weekend so I don't want to get saved. The group I went with last week made good progress on Kalacgos before we knew anything about the fight so I'm sure we could kill him given the new information out there.

Anyway, back on topic. How are you all managing your groups to go through the portal?

I have tried 3 groups, basicaly tank groups for Kalecgos + some dps but the issue I ran into was not every one being able to make it through the port before it went down. ANy idea if there is a maximum number of people who can go to the inner viel at once>
DJSticky

Postby Worldie » Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:30 am

At least for ZA, the reset was daily on PTR last time. My chars aint there yet so i can't check for Sunwell :\
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Atreidies » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:36 am

DJSticky wrote:
Cakes wrote:Sort of. As far as I'm aware, you don't get saved until you kill a boss, so you can farm trash with any pug if you wanted.

Blah to bad, we plan to have all our raiders transfered by the weekend so I don't want to get saved. The group I went with last week made good progress on Kalacgos before we knew anything about the fight so I'm sure we could kill him given the new information out there.

Anyway, back on topic. How are you all managing your groups to go through the portal?

I have tried 3 groups, basicaly tank groups for Kalecgos + some dps but the issue I ran into was not every one being able to make it through the port before it went down. ANy idea if there is a maximum number of people who can go to the inner viel at once>

We had 3 tanks and 5 groups for portals. Tanks were staggered, feral stealths in and pops bear to position Kalecgos, giving the raid an easier time getting set, first portal that pops I head in, wait for 2 healers in my group, then taunt and tank Sathrovarr. The 2nd portal group heads in as soon as it spawns, when the 3rd hits that's when our 2nd prot warrior heads in, taunts Sathrovarr off me with about 5 seconds left before I get ported, when I'm back up top I taunt Kalecgos off the feral and he takes the 6th portal to taunt off the prot warrior I left down in demon land. Once you get the tank rotation down, which is staggered seperate from the other 5 groups since we need to skip a portal to keep it uniform, the rest is easy.

It is very possible to have your rotation messed up by having a tank portalled outside the rotation, but it's easy enough to correct by just letting the other tanks/healers know that they need to wait one or go one early. Same thing with tank healers that get ported and can't land the rotation anymore, you simply don't taunt Sathrovarr until you have enough raid healers with you to make up for it.
Image[/url]
Atreidies

Postby DJSticky » Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:06 pm

Atreidies wrote:
DJSticky wrote:

We had 3 tanks and 5 groups for portals. Tanks were staggered, feral stealths in and pops bear to position Kalecgos, giving the raid an easier time getting set, first portal that pops I head in, wait for 2 healers in my group, then taunt and tank Sathrovarr. The 2nd portal group heads in as soon as it spawns, when the 3rd hits that's when our 2nd prot warrior heads in, taunts Sathrovarr off me with about 5 seconds left before I get ported, when I'm back up top I taunt Kalecgos off the feral and he takes the 6th portal to taunt off the prot warrior I left down in demon land. Once you get the tank rotation down, which is staggered seperate from the other 5 groups since we need to skip a portal to keep it uniform, the rest is easy.

It is very possible to have your rotation messed up by having a tank portalled outside the rotation, but it's easy enough to correct by just letting the other tanks/healers know that they need to wait one or go one early. Same thing with tank healers that get ported and can't land the rotation anymore, you simply don't taunt Sathrovarr until you have enough raid healers with you to make up for it.

Nice work I'll definatly keep that strat in mind when we work on him.

Sorry for all the questions but could you conferm how hard Sathrovarr hits? I've heard 8-9k with a fast attackspeed, but I've also heard he hits for very little. I haven't had the chance to check myself as the two times I've been in SP I was tanking Kalecgos for what would have been two tank rotations via bubbling the debuff and the only time I made it to the inner viel something went sour up top by the time I had enough healers down there to get him taunted.
DJSticky

Next

Return to Sunwell Plateau