First Night in Gruul/Mags: Thoughts

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

First Night in Gruul/Mags: Thoughts

Postby Dazhbog » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:34 am

Alright, so tonight was our first night in Gruul's and Mag's respective lairs, and I'll start with a little horn tooting by saying that we two shot all three bosses, yay.

That said, I spent 1/3 of Gruul and 2/3 of Mags facedown, while our druid tank took care of things, and I'd love some advice on not repeating that experience. A couple of things:

HKM: Can you step back out of the Whirlwind? Is it advisable, or easier to just take it? The punting's a nuisance, as well >.> Didn't have over much trouble here though

Gruul: One thing I noticed is that top priority at a Shatter isn't getting back to Gruul, but avoiding the mess in the middle of the room. Does Gruul have any sort of melee range stupidity that would keep me from focusing on taking less Shatter damage first, then picking him up and moving him back to the center of the room?

Silences seemed rather easy to deal with; I ended up dying here partially to a bad shatter, but mainly to a dumb mistake which had me eat a GC without HS, resulting in two back to back 10k crushing blows a second apart (yay parry gibs).

Maggsy: Just.... ouch. Very, very ouch. My healers had a sudden case of Healing the Raid, not the Tank, which led to my dying (oopsie), but those cleaves are murderous. If Ironshields will help with those, I may have to invest in some for next time. Is it worth LoH -> mana potting at the cave in, or should I just trust my healers to be good with it?
Dazhbog

Re: First Night in Gruul/Mags: Thoughts

Postby mazater » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:32 am

Dazhbog wrote:
HKM: Can you step back out of the Whirlwind? Is it advisable, or easier to just take it?

Gruul: One thing I noticed is that top priority at a Shatter isn't getting back to Gruul, but avoiding the mess in the middle of the room. Does Gruul have any sort of melee range stupidity that would keep me from focusing on taking less Shatter damage first, then picking him up and moving him back to the center of the room?

Maggsy: Just.... ouch. Very, very ouch. My healers had a sudden case of Healing the Raid, not the Tank, which led to my dying (oopsie)

HKM: I've never tanked it myself (I'm tanking with my mage here, QQ) but our fluffy bear tank always run's away from whirlwind's.

Gruul: The top priority at shatter indeed is to get away from everyone else, gruul will run to you afterwards and you can reposition him later.

Maggy: Most of the guilds have one tank and a healer for each channeler, you should be able to take out two channelers before mag comes, then those 2 healers should spam heal Mag's tank(you) the third, fourth and so one will move to heal other channeler's tanks until all channelers are dead.

What comes to the parrykib part, tell your melee to punch him in the back and only back to reduce the chance of parrykibs. (No matter how good you are, if 10 or so people are meleeing him from the front, you're dead.)

And I suppose Ironshield Potions work, though I can't confirm this.
mazater

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:14 am

I seem to recall HKM following me when I tried to move with him whilst he was WWing. Not 100% sure though, it was a while ago. I normally tank him against a cave wall anyway, so no backing off for me.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby 2ndNin » Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:41 am

For HKM, our MT tanks him back to the wall, and sits through the whirlwind, we have 3 healers on him, 3 on the rest of the raid (1 split mage / raid, 1 on the two warlock tanks, and 1 healing the other 2 tanks). Works well, basically heal through it is fairly easy to do.

Gruul our warrior is the only one in the middle for the shatter, everyone else stays out such that he should never really get hit by the shatter, everyone else can get hurt, but for the MT / OT this can be fatal so they get a larger area for them to run to.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:41 am

3 healers seems a bit too much. Our bear(and I) could be kept alive with 1 shaman and druid's lifeblooms.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:18 am

Possibly, however its normally our 3 worst geared healers on him, and the better geared ones keeping up the full raid so 2 healers would probably work on him, but the rest of the fight is trivial.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag