Threat on Curator

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:56 am

Yep, that's happened to me once when I didn't have salv.

I nearly always pull the hateful bolts as well, which means I'm building more aggro than the token melee DPS'ing Curator full time, which means I'm building threat during evocates.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:08 am

Lore wrote:Yep, that's happened to me once when I didn't have salv.

I nearly always pull the hateful bolts as well, which means I'm building more aggro than the token melee DPS'ing Curator full time, which means I'm building threat during evocates.

Hateful bolt targetting isn't just "second aggro", it also factors HP in. It's weird.
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:27 am

Yeah it's something like person with the highest HP in the top 4 aggro or something. Reason I mentioned it is because both I and the offtank hold the same max HP values the entire fight, but after the 2nd evocate the hateful bolts almost invariably switch to me exclusively. In addition, when I soulshatter (drops my threat by 50%) they switch back to him.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Prepared » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:19 pm

Aina wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Pretty sure damage dealt during Evocate has 0 aggro attached to it.

My friendly neighbourhood Locks time Curse of Doom to hit during the Evocates - it goes boom pretty well, and so does their threat.

As just above me: do you mean they actually pull aggro, or just that the threat meter (that doesn't know to ignore the threat) goes bonkers?

I suppose I could stop building threat during an evocate some time and see if it kills us.
"Judgement day's not coming soon enough."

Defense < 490 = Healing gear or Hydross gear.
Prepared

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:27 pm

Prepared wrote:
Aina wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Pretty sure damage dealt during Evocate has 0 aggro attached to it.

My friendly neighbourhood Locks time Curse of Doom to hit during the Evocates - it goes boom pretty well, and so does their threat.

As just above me: do you mean they actually pull aggro, or just that the threat meter (that doesn't know to ignore the threat) goes bonkers?

I suppose I could stop building threat during an evocate some time and see if it kills us.

^^^^ this is what I was asking in my post
Turn In, an NPC interaction automator - http://wow.curse.com/downloads/wow-addo ... rn-in.aspx
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:59 pm

Given that until the enrage I only DPS (on my Warlock) during evocates, and as I mentioned earlier:
Lore wrote:after the 2nd evocate the hateful bolts almost invariably switch to me exclusively. In addition, when I soulshatter (drops my threat by 50%) they switch back to him.

There's definitely some threat that occurs there.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:23 pm

Lore wrote:Given that until the enrage I only DPS (on my Warlock) during evocates, and as I mentioned earlier:
Lore wrote:after the 2nd evocate the hateful bolts almost invariably switch to me exclusively. In addition, when I soulshatter (drops my threat by 50%) they switch back to him.

There's definitely some threat that occurs there.

perhaps from DoTs ticking just after evocate ends?
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:37 pm

It would go to healers well before me if that were the case, the ~2000 damage my dots do after Evocate ends wouldn't be nearly enough to pull aggro.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:41 pm

Lore wrote:It would go to healers well before me if that were the case, the ~2000 damage my dots do after Evocate ends wouldn't be nearly enough to pull aggro.

unless you have more HP than them.
Sabindeus

Postby Lore » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:45 pm

...except that I don't get targetted by the hateful bolts at the start of the fight, yet I do after the 2nd evocate. Max HP hasn't changed from that point, and the OT is getting topped off.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Sabindeus » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:49 pm

Lore wrote:...except that I don't get targetted by the hateful bolts at the start of the fight, yet I do after the 2nd evocate. Max HP hasn't changed from that point, and the OT is getting topped off.

Ok then I don't know. I'm going to try not attacking at all during Evocate next time we fight Curator and aren't hurting for raid time.
Sabindeus

Postby Aina » Mon Jul 02, 2007 3:17 pm

Lore wrote:...except that I don't get targetted by the hateful bolts at the start of the fight, yet I do after the 2nd evocate. Max HP hasn't changed from that point, and the OT is getting topped off.

Afaik the theory that they go for the one who has currently the most health holds true for my experiences. The OTing getting topped off doesn't mean he can be at less health then you when the Curator uses his bolts.
Maybe it's like Aran? He usually casts on those with the least health, maybe Curator does the same, only other way around?

*shrug*

Either way, having an OT stay 2nd in threat doesn't seem to matter poop. So I just let him DPS. Feral Druid OT ftw.

And yes, the meter goes bonkers. Haven't had anyone pull aggro yet at the Curator.
Aina

Postby Gehrond » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:21 am

PsiVen wrote:Hateful Bolts go for whoever's second on aggro. We've always used a caster dps staying on the boss full time to eat them. Only time I've lost aggro was to a shadow priest doing this with VE aggroing flares, and it wasn't 'losing' aggro so much as her passing me in threat and causing me to eat bolts while tanking (ugly).

This isn't correct. I have had a warlock with higher health than me when I was bolt soaking/spark tanking take the bolts with 0 threat on curator. He hadn't even life drained/tapped yet. If I wasn't topped off, he had more health then me and took almost 1/2 the bolts. Healers were well above his threat on curator.

After that, I stopped doing ANYTHING to curator and focus on tanking the sparks more and still soaked the bolts as long as I have the highest current health.

I'm pretty sure the target is the person with the highest current health.
Gehrond

Postby Sabindeus » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:59 am

I didn't realize people actually consciously tried to tank hateful bolts on curator... we just let them go wherever and heal through it.
Sabindeus

Postby Gehrond » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:14 pm

Sabindeus wrote:I didn't realize people actually consciously tried to tank hateful bolts on curator... we just let them go wherever and heal through it.

Well, that's the thing, if I'm correct about the targeting it doesn't really matter unless someone's wearing AR. If it's hitting the person with the highest current health you couldn't pick a better target. Which is why I don't worry about it too much. I put on a little AR and just tank the sparks. If I soak the bolts, great, if not, it hits a good alternate target...
Gehrond

PreviousNext

Return to Karazhan