Remove Advertisements

The new shields?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Robbert » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:11 pm

I don't see either replacing my Merc Shield Wall any time soon...but I guess being rep rewards that would be a bit much to expect.
Robbert

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:12 pm

Robbert wrote:I don't see either replacing my Merc Shield Wall any time soon...but I guess being rep rewards that would be a bit much to expect.

Indeed. Esp since S3 gear will be available without a rating req once S4 hits.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Dorvan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:14 pm

Robbert wrote:I don't see either replacing my Merc Shield Wall any time soon...but I guess being rep rewards that would be a bit much to expect.

Yeah, they're meant to be on par with/sidegrades to the Nightbane shield.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Strom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:19 pm

WTB a shield upgarde between T4 and T6...... and no I do not think the ZA shield is T5 quality.
Strom

Postby Dorvan » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:20 pm

Strom wrote:WTB a shield upgarde between T4 and T6...... and no I do not think the ZA shield is T5 quality.

Then perhaps you need to look again? It lacks crit-reduction stats, but it's a very nice shield. There's also the Merc Shield Wall, of course....I ground that out in about 8 weeks 2v2'ing with a prot warrior ;)

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Strom » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:27 pm

Dorvan wrote:
Strom wrote:WTB a shield upgarde between T4 and T6...... and no I do not think the ZA shield is T5 quality.

Then perhaps you need to look again? It lacks crit-reduction stats, but it's a very nice shield. There's also the Merc Shield Wall, of course....I ground that out in about 8 weeks 2v2'ing with a prot warrior ;)

I know the ZA shield is nice, but you would think they would add in a T5 level shield in either SSC/TK or from badges. It just appears there is a gap in whats available.
Strom

Postby Robbert » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:28 pm

I was hesitant at first to pick up the Merc Shield Wall, but now that I have I'm more than happy with it. While it's missing avoidance/mitigation stats, it's got a ton of armor/stam and a good ammount of block value as well. Overall I think it's the best boss tanking shield until the T6 shields. I'm still hoping to pick up the ZA shield for AoE tanking, but until then the Merc Shield Wall will do.

I do think it's a shame that some of our better weapon/shield options come from PvP/Arenas while we're very much gimped at anything other than tanking Galv/Drek in AV.
Robbert

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:32 pm

Robbert wrote:I do think it's a shame that some of our better weapon/shield options come from PvP/Arenas while we're very much gimped at anything other than tanking Galv/Drek in AV.

You're good at defending towers too... but arenas?.. find a dps warrior and just keep healing him in a 2v2.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Robbert » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:48 pm

halabar wrote:You're good at defending towers too... but arenas?.. find a dps warrior and just keep healing him in a 2v2.

I'm currently teamed up with a lock...currently SL/SL but looking to go back to deep affliction as he's most comfortable with that spec. Now that I don't have any big gold sinks left with my epic fliers out of the way I've started respeccing holy/prot for 2v2 then back to prot for raiding. I've been tweaking the prot spec I'm using each time to try different combinations out. I'd be hard pressed at this point to go w/out both Imp SotC (with the Libram of Zeal) and PoJ as I've found both to be very much to my liking.
Robbert

Postby Alixander » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:59 pm

kalbear wrote:
Now, I'll admit there are some other stats that can be better, it's certainly not a bad stat. Or is there something about it I'm missing?
it's not bad, but it's not what a paladin really wants. And it's not really what anyone else using a shield wants either. That +8 spell hit is expensive, itemization wise; you could get another +12 spelldamage on there instead, and that would be great.
Now there's an interesting question. At what point does 1% additional chance to hit with spells (approximately 13 spell hit rating) equal the amount of spell damage given by the same amount iLVL points.

This is harder to count than one might think, since you can't just compare 1% to the amount of spell damage an equal amount of iLVL points gives. You need to consider alterations from Improved RF, Holy Shield's alteration, and how each spell is affected by the coefficients vs which spells are affected by spell hit. Honestly I think it'd be worth looking into (if it hasn't already).
Last edited by Alixander on Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Alixander

Postby kalbear » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:01 pm

This is harder to count than one might think, since you can't just compare 1% to the amount of spell damage an equal amount of iLVL points gives. You need to consider alterations from Improved RF, Holy Shield's alteration, and how each spell is affected by the coefficients vs which spells are affected by spell hit. Honestly I think it'd be worth looking into (if it hasn't already).
Dorvan's already done an analysis of this to some degree. And really, you don't need to do that all that much; you can just look at the threat produced from an actual run via WWS and use that to determine what the effect on your threat spell hit would have vs. spelldamage.
kalbear

Postby Hollyhell » Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:08 pm

Lore wrote:Defender for most "Main" tanking, Crest if I want to give up a small amount of defensive stats for some more threat.

I picked up Illidari Runeshield for this reason.
Hollyhell

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice