Remove Advertisements

Am I ready for Karazhan?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby UDCaptainHook » Sat Feb 09, 2008 9:40 am

The real question is are you going to be main tanking kara, or offtnaking? And who is the MT if you are OT?

I last went into kara this past Tuesday with an OT pally from our guild we wanted to gear up. (sick of DEing Plate gear as I have all the kara drops)
Our offtank had 1000 hp (unbuffed), and was in 1/2 greens 1/2 blues. I dont know his defense, but he was defiantely crushable.

Anyway, It didn't really matter, becasue he only tanked 2-3 things in all of kara because I just AoE tank everything :).

Anyway, that lucky SoB picked up 9 epics that run, 6 for his tnaking set and 3 for his healing set. Not to mention 20 badges towards another badge epic.

We always just made sure to kill his target first, before he'd go splat. Granted, all 3 of our healers were also fully epic'd, and could focus more on just me and him, since 2 pally tanks never really lose aggro in Kara.

In short, with a well geared pally MT, your OT just needs to be wearing plate to be a successful OT really. Just someone that can fill in for 2-3 hits.
UDCaptainHook
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:55 am

Ran Karazhan Feb 9

Postby laslord » Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:48 am

Well I planned on being OT, as we had a druid tank with 15k health and like 20k armour. We made it past the first boss and went for Moroes. Apparently it was really tough because we only managed to get him to 20% and nothing more (they spoke of some prot warrior being part of the mob). We tried multiple strategies but they all said, this is one of the worst boss sets, mentioning it is dynamic too.

So my first Kara run = not so successful. We died within a few minutes on Maiden also, then went back to Moroes. I think I did rather well though, I survived quite well against the bosses when the main tank died, but not sure if I was better or not since at that point I don't recall if more than one healer was healing me. Do defensive stats matter as a druid tank, just as much as with a Paladin?

I've taken my stats way above what they were when I first posted.
My defensive stats are now:

* Armor: 13769
* Defense: 485
* Dodge: 14.93%
* Parry: 15.87%
* Block: 14.46%
* Resilience: 53

Unbuffed Stats
* Health: 11357
* Strength: 190
* Agility: 148
* Stamina: 816
* Intellect: 144
* Spirit: 98

Trinkets:
Figurine of the Colossus
Dabiri's Enigma

With my current defense stats, I've calculated the following:
Miss + Dodge + Parry + Block = 50.26%
Using Dabiri's Enigma I will get 125/8 (8 points block = 1%block) = +15.625% Block
Total Avoidance with Trinket active(no holy shield):
50.26 + 15.625 = 65.9%

Should I be taking into consideration the extra crit avoidance from Resilience?

I read that if as a Paladin tank I have 67.1% avoidance 'before' using Holy Shield and I must have Libram of Repentence to increase Block by ~5%, I will be uncrushable and uncritable. I wanted to verify here if that is true.

So if I were to turn on Holy Shield without trinket (say it's on cooldown) I have an avoidance of 80.26. Avoidance with Holy shield & Trinket buff active = 95.9%

I just bought these plans and am working feverishly to get my blacksmithing up to use them (at 360, need 375). Plans: Boots of the Protector

I am still trying to decide on a new waist without having to do quest "How to Break into Alcatraz"(sounds like it's a bit of a pain).




UDCaptainHook wrote:The real question is are you going to be main tanking kara, or offtnaking? And who is the MT if you are OT?

I last went into kara this past Tuesday with an OT pally from our guild we wanted to gear up. (sick of DEing Plate gear as I have all the kara drops)
Our offtank had 1000 hp (unbuffed), and was in 1/2 greens 1/2 blues. I dont know his defense, but he was defiantely crushable.

Anyway, It didn't really matter, becasue he only tanked 2-3 things in all of kara because I just AoE tank everything :).

Anyway, that lucky SoB picked up 9 epics that run, 6 for his tnaking set and 3 for his healing set. Not to mention 20 badges towards another badge epic.

We always just made sure to kill his target first, before he'd go splat. Granted, all 3 of our healers were also fully epic'd, and could focus more on just me and him, since 2 pally tanks never really lose aggro in Kara.

In short, with a well geared pally MT, your OT just needs to be wearing plate to be a successful OT really. Just someone that can fill in for 2-3 hits.
[url][/url]
laslord
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:54 am

Postby Echevarian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 10:31 am

I am still trying to decide on a new waist without having to do quest "How to Break into Alcatraz"(sounds like it's a bit of a pain).


Just did it last night... with your stats and a guild group to back you up, it should be a breeze... just takes more than an hour.

I definitely would not add in trinkets to your uncrushable stats... you want to always be uncrushable when HS is up (not just for 15 secs).

Also, try getting your def up 5 more points to 490 to be uncrittable.
Echevarian
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:17 am

Re: Ran Karazhan Feb 9

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:25 am

laslord wrote:I am still trying to decide on a new waist without having to do quest "How to Break into Alcatraz"(sounds like it's a bit of a pain).
It's easy. Just complete bot and mech. doing it from the very start takes about a hour and a half.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15538
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Re: Ran Karazhan Feb 9

Postby Lalecize » Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:10 pm

Snake-Aes wrote:
laslord wrote:I am still trying to decide on a new waist without having to do quest "How to Break into Alcatraz"(sounds like it's a bit of a pain).
It's easy. Just complete bot and mech. doing it from the very start takes about a hour and a half.


i fully agree. You asked if your geared enough for it. Quite simply by the looks of things you aren't.

When I wanted to start Kara i read the guide here on pre kara gear.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=163

Being the tank your gear matters more than most. If your not willing to do a simple quest to get the gear to start with your making it harder for your group..

Sorry to sound harsh, but I simply don't understand people who go to tank stuff horribly undergeared and expect to get away with it because they cant be bothered to get a quest reward. Quests are guaranteed and easy to plan gear from dude, just go do it.

Would you want all your healers with +900 healing because they didnt wana do a quest? Probably not....

I get annoyed by people that expect to get the gear from Kara to tank kara. You need to get the gear to tank Kara BEFORE kara, then the gear in Kara will make it easier and easier.

Go get the belt, go follow that guide. I had only been 70 a few weeks before I hit uncrushable and had the gear in that guide. Go get enchanted, and get all the glyphs/armour kits too.

If theres gear in normal instances and quests you still need, theres no real excuse to not have it. Even if you are going to be the OT you still wanna get uncrush for the time you keep wiping on a boss and the group asks you to tank it - theres your chance to prove you can be the MT. Seriously your better off being the MT and the druid the OT.

Go gear yourself up when your not running kara, and you will do your group a huge favour.

Your probably better to hold off kara and not rush into it. Its really designed to be started by people in "blues" meaning well geared from normal instances.

Take a look at that guide and work towards it. Once you get uncrush you can start tanking the raid bosses!
Lalecize
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: New Zealand

Re: Ran Karazhan Feb 9

Postby laslord » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:41 pm

I assume you mean geared for Kara when you say "quite simply you aren't". I know I'm not quite there, I can only upgrade stuff so fast :P

With the way my gear is right now there are a few things I'm going to do over the next few days.

1. Get blacksmithing u to 365 to make "Bracers of the Green".
2. Do quest "How to break into Arcatraz" to get Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard
3. Wear my ring: Andormu's Tear

Other than that I can't see many things I can improve upon by doing quests, mainly the Waistguard.

I think with that I'll be uncritable at least and I'll be uncrushable once I manage to get the Libram of Repentence, and make a couple new things for myself with Blacksmithing, once I get it to 375.

I have a question about the #3 though, Andormu's Tear. It reduces my 'defense' rating by a few points when I replace another, but increases the block and dodge. Should I ignore the fact it made my defense stat go down and just look at pure 'Avoidance' numbers? (get it as close to 67% as possible?)


Lalecize wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
laslord wrote:I am still trying to decide on a new waist without having to do quest "How to Break into Alcatraz"(sounds like it's a bit of a pain).
It's easy. Just complete bot and mech. doing it from the very start takes about a hour and a half.


i fully agree. You asked if your geared enough for it. Quite simply by the looks of things you aren't.

When I wanted to start Kara i read the guide here on pre kara gear.

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=163

Being the tank your gear matters more than most. If your not willing to do a simple quest to get the gear to start with your making it harder for your group..

Sorry to sound harsh, but I simply don't understand people who go to tank stuff horribly undergeared and expect to get away with it because they cant be bothered to get a quest reward. Quests are guaranteed and easy to plan gear from dude, just go do it.

Would you want all your healers with +900 healing because they didnt wana do a quest? Probably not....

I get annoyed by people that expect to get the gear from Kara to tank kara. You need to get the gear to tank Kara BEFORE kara, then the gear in Kara will make it easier and easier.

Go get the belt, go follow that guide. I had only been 70 a few weeks before I hit uncrushable and had the gear in that guide. Go get enchanted, and get all the glyphs/armour kits too.

If theres gear in normal instances and quests you still need, theres no real excuse to not have it. Even if you are going to be the OT you still wanna get uncrush for the time you keep wiping on a boss and the group asks you to tank it - theres your chance to prove you can be the MT. Seriously your better off being the MT and the druid the OT.

Go gear yourself up when your not running kara, and you will do your group a huge favour.

Your probably better to hold off kara and not rush into it. Its really designed to be started by people in "blues" meaning well geared from normal instances.

Take a look at that guide and work towards it. Once you get uncrush you can start tanking the raid bosses!
laslord
 
Posts: 19
Joined: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:54 am

Postby Echevarian » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:16 pm

Sorry to sound harsh, but I simply don't understand people who go to tank stuff horribly undergeared and expect to get away with it because they cant be bothered to get a quest reward. Quests are guaranteed and easy to plan gear from dude, just go do it.

Would you want all your healers with +900 healing because they didnt wana do a quest? Probably not....

I get annoyed by people that expect to get the gear from Kara to tank kara. You need to get the gear to tank Kara BEFORE kara, then the gear in Kara will make it easier and easier.

Go get the belt, go follow that guide. I had only been 70 a few weeks before I hit uncrushable and had the gear in that guide. Go get enchanted, and get all the glyphs/armour kits too.

If theres gear in normal instances and quests you still need, theres no real excuse to not have it. Even if you are going to be the OT you still wanna get uncrush for the time you keep wiping on a boss and the group asks you to tank it - theres your chance to prove you can be the MT. Seriously your better off being the MT and the druid the OT.

Go gear yourself up when your not running kara, and you will do your group a huge favour.


I think he was mainly reacting to a post I made earlier about the quest... he thought it was a short "go there, do that" quest, and I was letting him know it was actually 2 dungeon runs and possibly more (if you haven't done the chain up to that point).
Echevarian
 
Posts: 204
Joined: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:17 am

Postby Lalecize » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:32 pm

Echevarian wrote:
Sorry to sound harsh, but I simply don't understand people who go to tank stuff horribly undergeared and expect to get away with it because they cant be bothered to get a quest reward. Quests are guaranteed and easy to plan gear from dude, just go do it.

Would you want all your healers with +900 healing because they didnt wana do a quest? Probably not....

I get annoyed by people that expect to get the gear from Kara to tank kara. You need to get the gear to tank Kara BEFORE kara, then the gear in Kara will make it easier and easier.

Go get the belt, go follow that guide. I had only been 70 a few weeks before I hit uncrushable and had the gear in that guide. Go get enchanted, and get all the glyphs/armour kits too.

If theres gear in normal instances and quests you still need, theres no real excuse to not have it. Even if you are going to be the OT you still wanna get uncrush for the time you keep wiping on a boss and the group asks you to tank it - theres your chance to prove you can be the MT. Seriously your better off being the MT and the druid the OT.

Go gear yourself up when your not running kara, and you will do your group a huge favour.


I think he was mainly reacting to a post I made earlier about the quest... he thought it was a short "go there, do that" quest, and I was letting him know it was actually 2 dungeon runs and possibly more (if you haven't done the chain up to that point).


Ahh ok!

Oh and Andormu's Tear adds rougly (i once did the calculation) 3% or so avoidance. To get uncrushable as quickly as possible I actually used this too, so i'd pop it on for now just to get you there.
You only need 490 defence, so as long as you can still reach that then its fine to drop some for more avoidance.

Ultimately you want 490def, and uncrushable with holy shield up (use the macro to determine it easily in game - i do that when swapping gear around). After that you can start stacking stamina. So for now id work on uncrit and uncrush and not worry too much about hp - that will go up a lot with kara gear.

Also if you havent already grab the timewardens leggings from CoT rep. They look silly, but are damn good legs.

Another option over the continuum blade is the crystalforged sword (if you can find it on the ah - they go quick).
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32660

The sword has the same spell damage as the continuum, however instead of spell hit it has shield block (1.4% avoidance to be exact). This will help you get to uncrushable easier, and to be honest the spell hit isn't a big deal. Grab a +40SD enchant on it, and you will be set for kara. You want need SD on any other piece.

The librarm sure helps a lot. Push your way through some heroics to get there - Id suggest a 5 badge mech a few times. Underbog and SP are relatively easy too.

Hope that helps
Lalecize
 
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:32 pm
Location: New Zealand

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:17 pm

I think the rind is about 2,6% avoidance, can't tell.

gearing as a tank is a "bitch". You are often the center of the attention of the healers, and even the dps, because you're the guy that they all are praying to stay alive while the monster is still breathing hard on your shoulders. If you die, odds are you or the healer will be blamed(my guild nominates the tank leader as Vice President of Blame, and the healer is the Director of Thankless Jobs for a reason). It's all about minmaxing. Visibility is good and all but it requires effort.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15538
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Previous

Return to Karazhan

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there is 1 user online :: 0 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest