Arena - Prot Spec in Ret Gear

Postby Semirhage » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:16 pm

5v5 Arena Team
Prot Pally
Arms Warrior
Subtlety Rogue
Holy/Disc Priest
Rogue or Hunter as 5th slot.

Last season, I kept my prot spec but in my best spell damage and healing gear. In the mean time, I was acquiring arena and pvp ret gear (Scaled).

My main job was to heal and bubble our priest; and whoever needs heals. As well as auto attack / hammer enemy healers/casters.

So when this new season, we made a new team:
Arms Warrior
Fury Warrior
Subtlety Rogue
Holy Paladin
Prot Paladin in Ret Gear (me)

And we're doing good.

Basically, I am mounted and charge in. Drop JotC on the first caster I see; and proceed to SoR, Consecrate, HS, mana tap, Hammer of Justice, and Arcane torrent to interrupt.

Thus far, the initial reaction of the enemy team is to focus fire on me. In this initial chaos, I survive the first few volleys of focus fire and I bubble right, throw captain america and do 1 heal on my self.

This opener enables the 2 wariror to cause mayhem as well. And for at least 2 fights when there is a rogue/warrior on the other team, they like to keep beating on me while I still wearing my 1h/shield.

When no melee engages me, I bust out the Deep Thunder and pound on a caster. I don't do burst damage, but the auto attacks with SoR hits fairly hard.

I get to enjoy the arena while saving money on re-spec costs.
Semirhage

Postby Mahale » Tue Jun 26, 2007 4:27 pm

I was actually curious about this as well. In pvp or when dpsing in a raid or instance (ya know if hell freezes over or something) what is the best gear to use to dps heavy spell damage gear or heavy strenght agility?
Mahale

Postby Nich » Sun Jul 01, 2007 5:50 pm

Mahale wrote:I was actually curious about this as well. In pvp or when dpsing in a raid or instance (ya know if hell freezes over or something) what is the best gear to use to dps heavy spell damage gear or heavy strenght agility?

Even with 6-700 spelldamage, I find my burst sucks in both pvp and pve. I do more damage, with reduced healing utility, in a half-arsed ret set. Sustained and burst.

I was/am tempted to go the route of ret gear on a prot pally for PvP - tho' I have SoC in my prot builds, so I'd be capable of a tiny bit of burst, I guess.
Nich

Return to Basic Training & Talents