Heroics, my healer, and me

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Heroics, my healer, and me

Postby Aarra » Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:56 pm

I have started running heroics and have had limited success. Everything I have read seems to indicate that my gear is good enough for the easier heroics. The priest that I have been running with has 1550 +healing and typically complains that I am taking too much damage.

Please check my gear to see if I am making any mistakes, I am currently 494 def, 97.3% to uncrushable and 12.5k hp.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... in&n=Aarra

Also if anyone knows of some good priest healing howto's that would also be awesome.
Last edited by Aarra on Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aarra

Re: Heroics, my healer, and me

Postby Echevarian » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:17 pm

Aarra wrote:I have started running heroics and have had limited success. Everything I have read seems to indicate that my gear is good enough for the easier heroics. The priest that I have been running with has 1550 +healing and typically complains that I am taking too much damage.

Please check my gear to see if I am making any mistakes, I am currently 494 def, 97.3% to uncrushable and 12.5k hp.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... in&n=Aarra

Also if anyone knows of some good priest healing howto's that would also be awesome.

looks like the link broke on the ' in Zul'jin... copy 'n paste into the nav bar works though...

sorry i can't offer any advice since i have no experience w/ heroics...
Echevarian

Postby Bevan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:46 pm

You should be plenty geared to run most of the heroics, not just the easiest ones.

Which ones have you tried running? What blessings are you using? Are you making use of any CC or trying to tank them like you would normal? The more info you can give, the easier it is to help you figure out where the issue is.

It's always possible that your healer just isn't used to running with pally-tanks, and doesn't know how to adapt to the different patterns of damage you take compared to a warrior or druid.
Bevan

Postby Aarra » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:05 pm

So far we have done UB (couldn't get to the last boss and many wipes), Ramparts (finally was successful last night after many wipes although the last boss seemed too easy), and BM (best attempt we downed only the first boss).

We usually have 1-2 CC and I tank the rest.

I have been using Blessing of Sanctuary.. maybe I should try running with kings?

The healer has been running instances with me since I came to Outland, he hates using non-pally tanks.

Thanks for the input.
Aarra

Postby Vanifae » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:32 pm

DPS could be an issue as well, poorly DPS leads to longer fights which diminish the resources of your healer.

Using CC early on is good, and highly recommended.
This is why I'm a humorless feminist. Because rape jokes killed my sense of humor.
Minnerva wrote:if you act like a jerk then we push you away unless when born the girl got slapped around by her father.
Vanifae

Postby Bevan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:37 pm

If the complaint is that you're taking too much damage, I'd definitely recommend trying Kings and seeing if that lets your healer feel a bit more comfortable - you'll actually be taking a bit more per hit, but it'll be a smaller percentage of your health bar.

The instances you've been running are actually mid-difficulty or higher. Morass is one of the hardest, since there's no room for error, and the trash in Ramparts actually hits harder than a lot of other heroics. I personally found that Mechanar, Slave Pens, and Shattered Halls were some of the easiest from a tanking perspective - Underbog isn't too bad, but the bog giants can absolutely destroy you if your dps is low or your healer isn't keeping you topped off.
Bevan

Postby Rokh » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:22 pm

Your healer is bad.

Best thing a healer can do in a heroic is spam heal greater heals.

Bubble is worthless and wastes the GCD, same with flash heals.

If you know its going to be a fight where dps will take random damage, have your healer use Mending/CoH.. but if your the onlyone taking damage i tell my healers to chain greater heals untill combat ends... but i like to AoE everything so /shrug
Rokh

Postby Zeels » Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:56 pm

You aren't overgeared. You are have gear enough to start heroics, but you need a healer who is on his/her toes.

Heroics aren't easy, things hit like trucks. Things (=trash) hits harder than stuff in Kara. Use as much cc as possible and don't underestimate the heroics.
By the Power of Grey Skull!

Lvl 80 Spanks you very much Spankadin!

Spank
Zeels

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Feb 09, 2008 5:02 am

I was impressed in my first few Kara raids that trash there really doesn't hit that hard. a tank will rarely take more than 2k damage per hit in Karazhan, while a lot of trash in heroics hit for 3k, even 4k(you stupid underbog lords, i swear i'll tank you on a dress someday andyou'll pay for it!).

Heroics can be harder on the healer than a raid. Your base stats seem good enough for most heroics, use blessing of kings definitely. Sanctuary doesn't really help out of AoE Tanking situations.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Metrodin » Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:34 am

Yes, a good healer is key.

And if you're concerned then you can always try to make sure that you have a shadowpriest in your groups. DPS + healing + mana + MC all in one handy package that can buffer a lesser geared/skilled healer. (Ran a heroic SP with a Resto Shaman and just thought he was a terrible healer, it wasn't until I checked his gear and saw that he only had 697 +healing that I was truly thankful that we had a SP along).

Figurine of the Colossus is also a great tool to have at the start of AoE pulls when all the mobs are still up. 120hp per block (180hp on crit) makes a big difference.
Metrodin

Postby Frickit » Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:20 am

you guys can do it...after considering the gear of the Tank and Healer you have to consider your dps. If your dps isnt burning shit down your gonna be taking damage. If your group as a whole don't know the ins and outs of the dungeon its also gonna be hard. You are fine and believe me so's your priest.

Mech is easy...Slave Pens is the easiest ever 3 badges...Ramp is easy stick to one of those Id say for now. and ya what they said...Kings and Devotion aura for heroics.
Frickit

Postby Dianora » Sun Feb 17, 2008 8:12 am

Frickit wrote:you guys can do it...after considering the gear of the Tank and Healer you have to consider your dps. If your dps isnt burning shit down your gonna be taking damage. If your group as a whole don't know the ins and outs of the dungeon its also gonna be hard. You are fine and believe me so's your priest.

Mech is easy...Slave Pens is the easiest ever 3 badges...Ramp is easy stick to one of those Id say for now. and ya what they said...Kings and Devotion aura for heroics.

Even the easy heroic is hard with pyro mage with zero concept of aggro. Rogue that insisted on sapping. Priest that consistently puts me into AD range (I eventually put away my trash mob set and put up my boss tanking set because I was not getting heal correctly). After that very very long Slave Pens, I turn around and went on a 40 minute Shattered Halls run (where some people still have the rescue the hostage quest), and just breeze through the place. The gauntlet was rendered a joke with sufficient AoE and good healer.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Nunka » Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:47 pm

If your healer isn't constantly spamming greater heals during trash pulls, there's your problem. The spike damage that most heroic trash does is enough to take down a non-epic geared tank in less than 5 seconds. Mr. priest shouldn't be waiting until you take damage to start casting his heals.
Image Image
Nunka

Return to 5 Mans / Heroics