Remove Advertisements

Am I ready for Karazhan?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Am I ready for Karazhan?

Postby laslord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:04 am

I would call myself a decent tank, have had no trouble running level 70 instances (Shadow Labs, Seth Halls, SteamVault... ) with at best a single wipe, either because someone aggroed a second group or made a mistake.

I tried running Black Morass as tank at level 69 but was not able to survive long past the second to last boss. I am going to be trying that again shortly (before Saturday Feb 9th, 2008 - tomorrow) and I think I'll do fine this time.

So I've been asked to tank Karazhan with another tank, and I read a lot about 'uncrushability' and being 'uncritable'. I believe right now I'm susceptible to both, especially crushing blows, as my defense is at 445.

Would I do even, 'Ok' at my first attempt at Kara tomorrow, or will I fail miserably? I know I need better gloves, and waist, but time is a factor right now with the day coming tomorrow. I've started reading this forum and it's actually a great resource, and in a way I do a lot of the 'recommended' things during a fight, so it was a good boost to my 'am I a decent tank' thoughts.

Thanks, looking forward to feedback.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Laslord
laslord

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:06 am

Fail miserably.

You can survive early Kara without being uncrushable, but if you're crittable then you might as well be wearing cloth as far as the trash is concerned, let alone the bosses.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby laslord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:09 am

I guess I'll have to look for +defense gear quickly and see if I can get some before tomorrow. Thanks Ulushnar

Ulushnar wrote:Fail miserably.

You can survive early Kara without being uncrushable, but if you're crittable then you might as well be wearing cloth as far as the trash is concerned, let alone the bosses.
laslord

Postby Echevarian » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:10 am

check out: http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=163

there is some pretty easy stuff to get to fill in the holes in your gear.
i think if you scroll down farther in the thread it talks about gemming and enchants, both of which are VERY helpful getting to your goals of uncrit and uncrush.

you DEFINITELY want 490 def to stop the crits.
Echevarian

Postby laslord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:46 am

How much is a typical crit by say the first 'boss' in Kara, like between 3-5k? I'm just throwing out numbers here

Tonight I'll go get these items, which I believe will take me to the minimum of 490, and even a little above:

(Waist) Warp-Raider Nesaad - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=31460 – Sha'tari Vindicator's Waistguard (l70 quest)
(Finger) Dealing with the Overmaster - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30006 - Wind Trader's Band
(Hands) Felsteel Gloves - Purchase AH
(Chest) Heavy Earthforged Breastplate - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30074 - I'm an armoursmith

With the above changes, not even considering the 3 gems in Heavy Earthforged Breastplate, I will have 490 defense exactly.

An hour or two tonight and I should be uncritable!

Echevarian wrote:check out: http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... .php?t=163

there is some pretty easy stuff to get to fill in the holes in your gear.
i think if you scroll down farther in the thread it talks about gemming and enchants, both of which are VERY helpful getting to your goals of uncrit and uncrush.

you DEFINITELY want 490 def to stop the crits.
laslord

Postby Echevarian » Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:52 am

Not so sure on that one... the waist comes from doing the quest for the arcatraz key... which means you have to run both botanica and mechanar to get both key fragments. however, to get to that quest where the waist is a reward, you have to do 3 or 4 pretty easy quests in the chain first.

GL though!

edit: another easy way to get defense and avoidance is the helm enchant from Keepers of Time rep... +16 def, +17 dodge. i think you have to be revered.
Echevarian

Postby laslord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:06 am

Ok, I guess that quest is harder than I thought.

Well, without the waist I think I'll have somewhere between 480-490 if I properly enchant it.

Thanks for the help.

Echevarian wrote:

Not so sure on that one... the waist comes from doing the quest for the arcatraz key... which means you have to run both botanica and mechanar to get both key fragments. however, to get to that quest where the waist is a reward, you have to do 3 or 4 pretty easy quests in the chain first.

GL though!

edit: another easy way to get defense and avoidance is the helm enchant from Keepers of Time rep... +16 def, +17 dodge. i think you have to be revered.
laslord

Re: Am I ready for Karazhan?

Postby palouf » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:45 am

laslord wrote:I would call myself a decent tank, have had no trouble running level 70 instances (Shadow Labs, Seth Halls, SteamVault... ) with at best a single wipe, either because someone aggroed a second group or made a mistake.

I tried running Black Morass as tank at level 69 but was not able to survive long past the second to last boss. I am going to be trying that again shortly (before Saturday Feb 9th, 2008 - tomorrow) and I think I'll do fine this time.

So I've been asked to tank Karazhan with another tank, and I read a lot about 'uncrushability' and being 'uncritable'. I believe right now I'm susceptible to both, especially crushing blows, as my defense is at 445.

Would I do even, 'Ok' at my first attempt at Kara tomorrow, or will I fail miserably? I know I need better gloves, and waist, but time is a factor right now with the day coming tomorrow. I've started reading this forum and it's actually a great resource, and in a way I do a lot of the 'recommended' things during a fight, so it was a good boost to my 'am I a decent tank' thoughts.

Thanks, looking forward to feedback.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Laslord

The things that you can change immediatly are :

1- Felsteel gloves : AH : best before maiden gloves
2- Felsteel helm : AH : best before ethernium from opera
3- Timewarden leggings from : keepers of time reput : best before curator ones
4- Continuum blade from keepers of time reput and put an SD enchant on it : best before S1 Gavel
5- Run Bota for pala set shoulders ( drops on laj )

Don't be in hurry to run kara, you still have some improvements to do before.
With your current gear you can OT trash and maybe one add on moroes.

Don't hurry on enchants and gems, just get the right gear before.
For the chest, you can go for the paladin set one ( SV ) or the one from second boss at Mechanar.
palouf

Postby Echevarian » Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:48 am

For the chest, you can go for the paladin set one ( SV ) or the one from second boss at Mechanar.

don't know where you stand w/ quests, but the Nagrand quest chain dealing w/ the legion has a pretty good chest too.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25819
Echevarian

Postby Drimus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:22 am

If you're an Aldor, you can get a chest, you need to be revered (aiming for that chest myself).
70 Dwarf Paladin, Drimus, Dentarg
Drimus

Postby laslord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:28 pm

That's not a bad chest! I'll begin with making the Heavy Earthforged Breastplate, since I can make it and have the mats right now. I hate having all these new ideas and stuff to try but being at work!

I actually went Scryers so the Aldor chest would be a no go for me.

Echevarian wrote:

don't know where you stand w/ quests, but the Nagrand quest chain dealing w/ the legion has a pretty good chest too.

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=25819
laslord

Postby Drimus » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:38 pm

I hope this helps dude: http://zentanking.blogspot.com/search/label/gearing

Scroll down and you will find items purchasable by badges and scroll further down and you will find all items you might need, it's helping me alot. It shows everything you need to see.

It's called: Tankadin gear evolution: 5-mans to Ilidan
70 Dwarf Paladin, Drimus, Dentarg
Drimus

Postby Bevan » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:03 pm

Just one thing I feel the need to ask, since it's brought into question by the wording in your first post - are you keyed for Karazhan? You said you failed at running Morass as a tank, so unless you've gone back in since, you can't even get into Kara, nevermind tank it.
Bevan

Postby laslord » Fri Feb 08, 2008 9:26 pm

You would be right, except in my post I said I'd be running it before going to Kara, so I actually have the key now, after successfully tanking BM twice tonight. Nice and easy.

Still working on getting my defense up. I think it's a bit confusing with +defense gear since +defence doesn't translate directly into Defense stat I've noticed (which I did not notice before). It only makes a difference on the calculation underneath the defense stat. Can someone explain this?

Bevan wrote:Just one thing I feel the need to ask, since it's brought into question by the wording in your first post - are you keyed for Karazhan? You said you failed at running Morass as a tank, so unless you've gone back in since, you can't even get into Kara, nevermind tank it.
laslord

Postby Bevan » Sat Feb 09, 2008 1:03 am

Defense and Defense Rating are technically different stats. Each point of Defense Rating increases your Defense by about 0.4 of a point, so you actually need nearly 3 points of it to increase your Defense value by 1.
Bevan

Next

Return to Karazhan