Remove Advertisements

My guild is going into Gruul's

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

My guild is going into Gruul's

Postby Cidx » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:27 am

I've yet been into Gruul's but I am trying to research what I am in for and if I can do it. First off this is my armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ne&n=Fletz

I consider myself the best geared tank in my guild but like always paladin tanks are over looked as major roles but anyways I wanted to see what knowledge I could pick up.

First off is High King. I heard that 3 tanks are needed for this fight (excluding the mage tank) 2 tanks will be on Olm and 1 on Maulgar. My question is it better for me to tank Olm like usually suggested or Maulgar? I heard he can do heavy damage and our geared warrior has less HP than I do so I was wondering if thats proof enough for me to MT Maulgar other than that I'm fine tanking Olm, what exactly should I expect doing this role?

Once we've downed Maulgar which like always we say it's an easy fight but I don't think we'll get it for awhile, but we'll go off to Gruul.

I do indeed believe a pally tank is best suited as Off Tank because of the silences and the oh shit buttons a warrior possesses. I plan to get Mana Potions from Ogri'la for this fight as well as get Spell Damage buffs. Now I have an issue "We're letting our druid tank OT Gruul" now I am out of the race for good loot because they believe Druid's are better than pallies as OT. My counter arguement was that with my experience I can do enough threat as well as use Misdirections whenever needed. Although I really want to be there for Gruul because he has a nice shield I want as of course our guild "MT" needs as well but like I said I out gear him and in my honest opinion he isn't all to great. But Im not here to put him down a tanks job is hard and its even harder when you're a minority tanking class like a pally tank.

I solely want your knowledge. Videos of Paladin's tanking (HK and Gruul), what I'm going to expect and what I could do to prove my guild that I am more worthy to be there.

And I also want to vent here, they plan to take a pally tank who is signifcantly undergeared compared to me and not really knowledgeable to tank HK Adds. Burns me up >.< . It's so hard to prove to a guild thats most members come from Pre-BC AQ40 and BWL raiding guilds that Paladin tanks are equal if not better than a warrior or a druid.
Cidx

Postby Duzzit » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:00 am

in your gear I say you can even tank grull himself, but for the love of god, swap out the cheap gemming in some places for proper gems. Also I do however agree about the druid OT on him, seems to work best.

Try to MT him at first, if not see what you can do, but honestly your gear seems preety good for me.

Duzzit

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:10 am

Maulgar Tank should ideally be the one with the best Avoidance and health combined. You wanna be able to avoid at least 45% of his attacks, since block isn't gonna help you too much against his output. I always strap on my Avoidance gear for him.

I've never OT'd Gruul, simply because it's easier for a Druid or Warrior to build aggro without being regularly hit. We do normally use a Druid OT to soak the Hurtful Strikes, but we also often have a Prot Warrior intervene to me during the silences, since that's when we're doubly vulnerable (healers can't heal and I can't renew my HS).

That said, the three-tank approach is probably only reccomended if you have excellent DPS. A lot of groups running Gruul for the first few times are running a bit too close to the wire to allow that kind of set-up.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Cidx » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:02 pm

Thank you guys for your advice. I will try and get some avoidance gear.

If you're talking about my +9 Stamina gems they're in there because I planned to replace them really soon with badge items or epics.
Cidx

Postby guillex » Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:19 pm

Cidx wrote:Thank you guys for your advice. I will try and get some avoidance gear.

If you're talking about my +9 Stamina gems they're in there because I planned to replace them really soon with badge items or epics.

Then get to replacing! You want to have the best gear for the job at hand. Also, you may want to keep a few pieces of that gear when you're downgearing for running instances. In that case, you're still going to want +12 stam gems instead of +9.

Just my 2c
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Sun Feb 10, 2008 9:04 pm

I have a similar issue atm...i don't care what i'm tanking in HKM fight but in gruul...they don't want me to tank him. They want to put the druid on him and me on the hurtfuls. Kinda...yeah...
Armory's stats are accurate...14k unbuffed hp, 14620 armor...

I know, not that much >.>
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Worldie » Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:07 pm

Mah, i tanked him with worse stats. Depends on what are the druid's stats tho.

And well, personally, i don't like Gruul. You always have to pray that the Silence doesn't come at the worst time possible and makes u get 2shotted by crushings.
Juuust let those warriors and tree huggers tank him, you will have better tanking occasions in SSC/TK
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:30 am

Other thing, we did HKM with 2 "tank" tanks, Me and the Druid. me alone on Olm and the druid on Maulgar...boomkin for kiggler and mage for krosh as usual. A Third tank shouldn't really be necessary for HKM fight since Olm doesn't ignore you while you're feared anymore. We still had a third tank to intervene the tank during silences but he was pretty much failsauce.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Return to High King / Gruul / Mag