Fire resist on Dragonhawk

Nalorakk, Akil'zon, Jan'alai, Halazzi, Malacrass, Zul'jin

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby 2ndNin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:34 am

So are there any hints for what gear to wear with the fire resist set? Which parts of it are best and what enchants / glyphcs or that to put on it?

Edit: Ok swapped in my fire gear and I am about 469 defense, and 11% from uncrushable, any ideas on how to get this up with the gear I have now or stuff of a similar level since I would like to go in as a proper tank rather than a gimped one :(, spell damage dropped to 315 unbuffed but thats probably fine right?
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Dorvan » Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:05 am

2ndNin wrote:So are there any hints for what gear to wear with the fire resist set? Which parts of it are best and what enchants / glyphcs or that to put on it?

Edit: Ok swapped in my fire gear and I am about 469 defense, and 11% from uncrushable, any ideas on how to get this up with the gear I have now or stuff of a similar level since I would like to go in as a proper tank rather than a gimped one :(, spell damage dropped to 315 unbuffed but thats probably fine right?

http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=3654

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Madmordigan » Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:04 pm

Bear in mind that the Hawks are LVL 70, thus you do not need 490 (or equivalent resilience mix) defense and 365 resist to be capped for the fight.

having said that, I've done the fight both ways.

Without FR, pulling too many birds can be the end of it. The debuff stacks up fast, and getting flame waved at the wrong time will wipe you.

With FR we let a hatcher hatch an entire side at a time, then kill him as he runs back across (which is often during the first bombing portion, they just CTRA assist my target and hit their instant casts while looking for a hole), then aoe down all the adds. The debuff stacks up all of maybe 18 or 19 times, and I just DS out of the debuff and we ignore the second set of hatchers while I pick up all the birds.

The gear I wear is: Badge FR chest, boots, legs, gloves with flame armor kits. The Phoneix-fire band from the trial of the naaru chain, and the fel barrier from heroic something or other.
The rest of my non-fr armor is Badge gear and the bracers of dignity, tankatronic goggles, two-blue defense trinkets, and shoulders from timed bear.
This is 354 resist and 476defense (18 resiliance... go s2 mace) which is capped both for crits and fire damage vs lvl 70 mobs. I also have lol317 SD which is enough to consecrate pick up all the hawks (save the first one... he always just runs right through unless I judge him)

Now the trade off: Yes, I eat more melee damage from the birds, but looking though WWS parses/recounts of the fights, the damage is more consistent and there are no spikes of note. Unfortunately, this all means very little to me in comparison to...
My good resto shaman friend has healed me through most every time we have been to that fight. He far prefers the "Put on your FR gear, get all the birds, get aoe to nuke them at once, kthxbai Jun'alai"

Is it worth it to bust ass to gear like this for this one fight? Naw. Doubly so since it is doable with just FRA (it is just more tedious and dangerous killing 4-6 waves of hatchers and hanging around the fight with the debuff on or cleansing it)
However there are other fights (leo and alar come to mind) where having flexibility for the night is invaluable.
Madmordigan

Postby Scoria » Thu Feb 21, 2008 10:43 am

ive tried with FR, without and a mix and found found what worked best for me was stacking block value to 500 and spell damage to 450 +running with retri aura, seems the only way to keep my pet suicidal gnome lock alive long enough to kill the second side :)
Scoria

Er bubble?

Postby Jack9 » Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:42 pm

I'm the OT. I just pull one side, clear it while rogues keep the other side from spawning. Collect up as many as possible, kill them. Bubble off the 37 debuffs. Repeat.
Jack9

Postby Kellann » Thu Apr 03, 2008 11:42 am

I used to do it with BV and SD - and only the aura, one side at a time.

-in those cases, the rule was AE starts after we finish the first Bomb mini-game.

When we did Anethron for the first time the other day - I took a lot of damage, so I hearthed and blew some badges on FR. Got up to 255 w/aura for that fight and it was all peachy keen.

Got more serious about my FR set, bought the last piece, and now my itemracked FR set is something like 335 FR(w/aura) 470 def 400+SD.

Using the FR set on the dragonhawks made it stupid simple, even when my pet rogue forgot to gank my hatcher who went on to instapop the 2nd side.

...still didn't save us when our warrior tested his "no bombs go under the tank" theory
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby Questioner » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:29 pm

In our timed runs I do it in my max FR set and I take next to no damage. Just take a little extra time before aoe. There is no concern of you dying.

Another big advantage to this strategy is that if you step on a bomb, you take almost no damage.

I found my block value set made almost no difference.
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

Not necessarily accurate: Armory
Questioner

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:45 pm

I do it with all my FR gear I could spare over the course of this year(ring from mag + omorr necklace...rofl). That and the aura summed to 120~ resist, or "fair" in the tooltip. I would need a dedicated healer through the hawk tanking but I do the full side at once.200+ fr should make it pretty cool. I'd get about 40 stacks of buffet before they die(aoe was kinda cut to volley and a strangely rare pair of arcane explosions)
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Damorin » Fri Apr 18, 2008 10:39 am

FR for the win. My group has been killing him twice a week for months now. My fr is 346 with aura which makes the dmg as others have said trivial. I don't worry about my avoidance or BV on this, just try to keep my hp above 17k which isnt much of an issue. I just take a side at a time and have a single mage dedicated to burning them down. I believe i take no more then 1-2k on a flame breath if i get hit, making this fight very easy for the healers. Normally we drop him before the soft enrage and to give you an idea we are a t5 level guild.
Damorin

Previous

Return to Zul'aman