Prince: Buffs and Aura for Tanking

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Prince: Buffs and Aura for Tanking

Postby Serrot » Mon Feb 04, 2008 11:59 am

I've been asked to tank Prince tonight. It's the first time our guild is facing him. I've read the posts on strat and I think I'm good there. I'm curious on buffs for this fight. I was thinking the following:

Phase 1: BoK and Dev Aura
Phase 2: BoSan and Ret (?) Aura
Phase 3: BoK and Dev Aura

Should I do that, or is it better to just keep BoK and Dev up the whole time?

Thank you, fellow Tankadins!!

If it matters, here is my current Raid Outfit: http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/23135
Serrot

Postby Dorvan » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:02 pm

Dev Aura/BoK all the time. You should never be running Ret Aura against raid bosses unless you outgear the encounter.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Wraith » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:27 pm

If you are using safe spots. You can get a bad infernal. I have found it better to just eat the infernal and switch to fire resit aura while it is up. The healers should be able to heal thru it. Otherwise BoK and Dev.
Wraith

Postby Serrot » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:34 pm

Dorvan wrote:Dev Aura/BoK all the time. You should never be running Ret Aura against raid bosses unless you outgear the encounter.

I knew someone would say that. :lol: I normally wouldn't. I was just thinking of ways to compensate during Phase 2 for disengaging my auto-attack and still maximizing threat. I guess it's not worth the death, huh?
Last edited by Serrot on Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Serrot

Postby Antharas » Mon Feb 04, 2008 12:34 pm

Phase 1: BoK / Ret
Phase 2: BoK/ Devotion
Phase 3: BoK/ Devotion

ive always used ret in phase 1 just so when we hit phase 2 i have every bit of threat i can get (we pop bloodlust for both parties at start of phase two, so dps threat jumps quite a bit). i dont use sanc just cause its annoying to buff it mid fight (altho i usually run w/ 2-3 pallys so i have it on sometimes)
Antharas

Postby Nobot » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:09 pm

Serrot wrote:
Dorvan wrote:Dev Aura/BoK all the time. You should never be running Ret Aura against raid bosses unless you outgear the encounter.

I knew someone would say that. :lol: I normally wouldn't. I was just thinking of ways to compensate during Phase 2 for disengaging my auto-attack and still maximizing threat. I guess it's not worth the death, huh?

I've actually never disengaged auto-attack during Prince. The only time it turned into a problem is when a rogue or fury warrior is coming through for the first time and doesn't understand what "stay out of the frontal arc" means.

I tend to bring stoneshield pots for Prince and slam them during phase 2. I usually judge wisdom (I out-threat my dps by a LOT, so JotC isn't useful for me) and SoW during phase 2 so I can keep Consecration and Exorcism on cooldown. I've had 12-second gaps where Prince simply doesn't hit once and suddenly I'm OOM with no pot cooldown to use.

During phase 3 I switch to JotC and SoV to help burn him down with my loldps.

All in all, one of my favorite fights in KZ. The entire fight helps you benchmark whether your raid is ready for the next level.
Nobot

Postby Kellann » Mon Feb 04, 2008 2:36 pm

I never disengaged autoattack, and my rogues/furys would "jump in front if not enfeebled to not get knockback".

My particular choices were:
P1 - sanc/ret + SD shield...and manapot early to frontload like mad.
P2 - Kings/Devo + Def Shld...and chain-IronPot + be ready to (HS / LoH / trinket1 / trinket2 / stoneform / Bubble1s&drop / etc)
P3 - giggle while I generally just used HS and cleansed the raid.
Kellann - Uther
Kellann

Postby ulushnar » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:08 pm

Only change i make is to equip a Sun Eater at phase 2. Apart from that I just use Kings/Devo throughout the fight.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby NarfJones » Mon Feb 04, 2008 3:12 pm

I disengage just because it makes it easier on my healers if they get a bad infernal drop. Make sure your DPS watches their threat though. All in all, it doesn't matter too much if you disengage phase 2, but being the first time you've fought him, better safe than sorry. The easiest way is to target a raid member.

Devotion aura
Blessing of Kings
Defensive trinkets
A supernatural ability mash holy shield.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby Serrot » Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:26 am

Thanks for the comments everyone. I kept BoK and Dev up the whole time and decided to disengage to play it safe. It took us 6,7,8 times (I lost count after a while) but we downed him, and on the guild's first night making the attempt.

He's actually quite straightforward once you have positioning down.
Serrot

Postby Arcand » Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:38 pm

Nothing to add to the Prince discussion, but your guild's tabard with the armor you've got on looks nine kinds of excellent.
Arcand

Postby Bellonda » Wed Feb 06, 2008 1:41 am

Disengaging doesn't lower your threat all that much... I do it, while still popping exorcism and judgement of righteousness and i'm not sure, but i think last time i did it, i actually got more threat during P2, due to the increased frequency in Holy Shield procs. At least threat wasn't an issue. But then our best dps was at 700 dps too :P. So don't worry, just do it. HS -> Exorcism -> Consec -> JoR, gogo
Bellonda

Postby ulushnar » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:09 am

Bellonda wrote:Disengaging doesn't lower your threat all that much...

It doesn't lower your damage taken by that much either. I'm not a fan of disengaging. I killed the Prince plenty without it and once I heard about it I thought "that's dumb". If you're not swinging, you're not tanking imo.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby 2ndNin » Wed Feb 06, 2008 3:38 am

TBH I tend to tank everything with ret aura on :D, heck I just OT'd Gruul with it on.

Phase 1 if you are the only pally use sanc / ret, he doesn't hit hard, then swap to kings just before phase 2 (you should get healed up to to the hits cap), phase 3 switch back. Once you pass phase 2 prince is not really a threat, its the massive flurry damage in phase 2 that offers the major problems in this fight as long as your melee don't get parried.
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Snake-Aes » Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:37 am

His burst potential is just too scary to give up 1k hp in the name of about 100 incoming dps reduction from sanctuary.His crushing blows can easily eat half your hit points, so pay attention and go defensive the whole way. Holy Shield is a monster in this fight.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Karazhan