Remove Advertisements

Deflection - how does it work

Warning: Theorycraft inside.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, theckhd

Deflection - how does it work

Postby Slamdorff » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:36 am

I have 3 questions I hope you can help me with:

1:
I have 5/5 in deflection but do not understand the function. Will it raise the parry chance I already have by 5% = next to no chance to parry. Or does it give me a full 5% chance to parry, which doesn't seem likely in my combat log.

And are the deflection points mirrored in "parry" on my charactersheet under "defenses" - or otherwhere?

I just don't get it:)

2:
Actually the same question goes for Anticipation. But here I would guess that 5/5 gives 20 of my 306 Defense rating. But I could be all wrong:)

3:
And last - did I get it right that im now uncrushable by app. 0,5% with the gear shown in my armory profile, and HS up:

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... =Slamdorff

I'm trying to be a serious tank. We have two well geared warriors in guild, so Maiden has been my biggest feat so far. I expect to be able to tank all Kara bosses + Maulgar with current gear. Is that reasonable? oh, that was an extra question:)

Please enlighten me, as I want to improve my understanding of pallytanking.

Kind greetings,

Slamdorff
Bronzebeard, Europe

PS: I look forward to getting Moroes Belt and Pocket watch, Curators leggings and tier 4 head and shoulders as any of these items would let me stack more Stamina:) - If I understood everything right, that is...
Slamdorff

Postby Candiru » Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:43 am

deflection increases your parry chance by 5 points, rather than a 5% increase. It will show up in your defence page as a higher base parry value, rather than as parry rating.

Anticipation is the same, increases your base defence skill by 20 (if you look on your skills tab) doesn't affect your defence rating.
Candiru

got it thx - would love more answers

Postby Slamdorff » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:42 am

ok - thx - for the quick answer:) - Deflection provides 5 of my 21 parry rating points - well thats close to unusable imho:) Could be nice later maybe.

Did I get my uncrushable calcualtion right?

Kind greetings,

Slamdorff
Slamdorff

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:44 am

Neither talent are ratings.

Deflection increases your chance to parry by 5%. It's a static increase. If you have 10% chance to parry without it, you'll have 15% chance to parry with it.

Anticipation increases your defense SKILL by 20. So it's worth (off the top of my head) in the area of 50 defense rating.

Both talents are pretty close to a requirement.
Lore
Global Mod

Thats a different story!

Postby Slamdorff » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:35 am

Hi again,

Thx Lore for chipping in. Where can I see that reflected on my character?

I now doubt if understand how to figure my chance to parry - I have 21 parry rating under defenses on my chr. sheet - that increases my chance to parry by 0.89% - but how do figure my total chance to parry and where do the 5% from Deflection show up?

Ofc my 21 parry rating comes solely from Battlescar Boots.

I agree this makes Deflection almost mandatory - Anticipation, I guess, you can then choose to have or gear equivalently to reach what you want.

Really hope to get an answer.

Kind greetings,

Slamdorff
Slamdorff

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:37 am

It shows up on your character sheet with everything else, where your parry chance is listed.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Baelor » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:30 am

It won't "show up" on the character sheet, per-say. If you are naked and don't have deflection, your % chance to parry will be X, and if you are naked and have deflection, your % chance to parry will be X+5. Simple as that.
I am the light that brings the dawn.
Something Wicked this way comes.
Formerly: Baelor of Runetotem-US (2006-2007) | Cathmor of Malfurion-US (2007-2010)
Follow me on Twitter
Baelor

of course...

Postby Slamdorff » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:49 am

... so logic it was hard to get:\ It's simply a part of my 16,85% parry chance and thus also counts towards uncrushability. I certainly hope this is correct:)

Thx,

Slamdorff
Slamdorff

Postby Lore » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:51 am

Correct.
Lore
Global Mod

Re: Thats a different story!

Postby Jaydin » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:15 am

Slamdorff wrote:Hi again,

Thx Lore for chipping in. Where can I see that reflected on my character?

I now doubt if understand how to figure my chance to parry - I have 21 parry rating under defenses on my chr. sheet - that increases my chance to parry by 0.89% - but how do figure my total chance to parry and where do the 5% from Deflection show up?

Ofc my 21 parry rating comes solely from Battlescar Boots.

I agree this makes Deflection almost mandatory - Anticipation, I guess, you can then choose to have or gear equivalently to reach what you want.

Really hope to get an answer.

Kind greetings,

Slamdorff

ya you start off with 5% base parry chance, ur defense gives 5.96%, deflection gives you 5%, and ur 21 parry rating gives you .89%
5+5+5.96+.89=16.85=your parry rating
Jaydin

Return to Advanced Theorycraft and Calculations