Remove Advertisements

Help with Kael'thelas

A'lar, Void Reaver, Solarian, Kael'thas

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Postby Halten » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:34 pm

My guild finally got to this fight and benched me :(
They are taking in 2 Prot Warriors and 1 Feral Druid to pick up the weapons. The strat they're using involves a hunter tanking the bow and the druid tanking the axe away from the melee. It left the 2 Prot Warriors to get the other 5 weapons and when that didn't work so well, they decided to have the ranged burn down the staff really fast and then move on to the others.
Am I just being whiny about not getting to tank, or are they making a mistake by not using me?
Halten

Postby Dorvan » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:41 pm

Halten wrote:My guild finally got to this fight and benched me :(
They are taking in 2 Prot Warriors and 1 Feral Druid to pick up the weapons. The strat they're using involves a hunter tanking the bow and the druid tanking the axe away from the melee. It left the 2 Prot Warriors to get the other 5 weapons and when that didn't work so well, they decided to have the ranged burn down the staff really fast and then move on to the others.
Am I just being whiny about not getting to tank, or are they making a mistake by not using me?

If your gear/skill level is up to par with the rest of your guild's tanks, they're making a mistake.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Halten » Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:43 pm

Dorvan wrote:If your gear/skill level is up to par with the rest of your guild's tanks, they're making a mistake.

Then the hard part comes in telling them that they made the mistake and not making myself seem like a jerk.
Halten

Postby solinari » Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:22 pm

Gracerath wrote:I actually fraps'd our 2nd Kael kill ever.

Nice video! Pardon me for being off topic, but what is the first song in the video?
solinari

Postby Gracerath » Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:15 am

Its something from the Kingdom Hearts 2 soundtrack. I can't think of the name of the song off the top of my head but its one of the first few songs on the track list (2nd or 3rd I believe).
Bye space sword!
Gracerath
Maintankadonor

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:03 am

Saw someone asking for Kael vids on the last page, here's mine of our first kill...

http://warcraftmovies.com/movieview.php?id=53863

I tank conflags p1, telonicus p1, sword/daggers/shield p2, telonicus p3, phoenixes p4/5
Jensaarai - 85 Prot Paladin (Lost Isles - US)
Endüre - 85 Prot Warrior (Lost Isles - US)
Jensaarai

Postby Levantine » Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:07 am

learn 2 stage6 imo

[edit] HOLY CRAP IT"S HUGE. <.< You're just lucky I wanna see a pally in the Kael'Thas fight.
Levantine

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:34 am

haha sorry...It's 1280x800 XviD, very nice quality if that helps...I think I could have used better compression, but it was only the first or second time I'd used Vegas, sorry :twisted:
Jensaarai

A bit of help on phase 2.

Postby Dianora » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:44 pm

I couldn't full contain both the shield and dagger last night (they have a tendacy to wander off). I'm fairly certain that both of them are hitting me and getting blocked. However, the warlock were told to go ahead and put their biggest dot on all of the weapon, and they're the first one getting wacked.

Now I re-evaulate my gears a bit and I was running around in my standard boss tanking gear. That means I only have 417 spell damage. And I was counting on JoR, Block and Consecration to hold aggro.

Because I'll only be tanking the weapons in phase 2 and Telonicus in phase 3, can I go right ahead and gear up more spell damage? That'll mean changing out my blocking shield with a healing/spell damage shield, using Icon of the Silver Cresant and the Tome of Fiery Redemption instead of my usual DMC:V and Pocket Watch. Switch out my trisfalen ring with a spell damage ring. Using a spell damage cloak and using a spell damage neck. I also created a macro to activate everything at the start of the encounter to give myself a nice boost of spell damage, up to about 900.

I'll both be crushable and critable.
ImageImageImage
Dianora

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:56 pm

If you're tanking advisors, stay uncrit/uncrush. I tend to use a fair bit of BV on this fight, but not tons of spell damage. We generally have our AoE'ers DPS the bow for 4-6 seconds before unload AoE on my targets. I also like popping a Destruction Potion (liquid aggro ftw) as well as my wings right at the beginning of phase 2 to solidify aggro quickly. As a final note, since we've switched to letting me build that 5 second aggro lead I've rarely had problems with threat, but I did find it helpful to create a few macros, one for each weapon I was tanking:

/target <weapon name>
/cast [target=targettarget] Righteous Defense

Having those macros makes it really easy to grab a wandering weapon without losing focus on what you're doing (click-targetting tends to be difficult with all the weapons/DPSers around you). If you see something wander off just hit the appropriate macro and keep going.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:13 pm

I don't know why, but I've never had a problem with aggro on the weapons. I also wear about 215FR for phoenixes P4-5, so I'm crushable for Telonicus, though he hits like a pussy so it doesn't really matter. My spell damage is also nerfed to sub-400, I believe, but I'm still ok.

All our ranged burn the bow first while our melee works on the mace/staff. Then single-target casters switch to the mace, then staff, while after the bow aoe casters just aoe the shit outta everything. I've never even had to touch the daggers/sword...you can check my video, I run over to where the daggers/shield pop, wings/consecrate, JoR shield, chill in consecrate for a few seconds then drag them back to the other side...I stay on the shield the whole time because after the mace/staff goes down single-target casters move to the shield (and the locks are also dotting it up)...I've never lost aggro on the sword or daggers. Works like a charm every time.
Jensaarai

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:16 pm

Jensaarai wrote:I don't know why, but I've never had a problem with aggro on the weapons. I also wear about 215FR for phoenixes P4-5, so I'm crushable for Telonicus, though he hits like a pussy so it doesn't really matter. My spell damage is also nerfed to sub-400, I believe, but I'm still ok.

All our ranged burn the bow first while our melee works on the mace/staff. Then single-target casters switch to the mace, then staff, while after the bow aoe casters just aoe the shit outta everything. I've never even had to touch the daggers/sword...you can check my video, I run over to where the daggers/shield pop, wings/consecrate, JoR shield, chill in consecrate for a few seconds then drag them back to the other side...I stay on the shield the whole time because after the mace/staff goes down single-target casters move to the shield (and the locks are also dotting it up)...I've never lost aggro on the sword or daggers. Works like a charm every time.

Well, if there no AoE going on until after the bow is down you'd *better* not have any aggro problems. Then again, between FR aura and the shield I don't see any reason to wear FR on that fight...different strokes for different folks :)

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:19 pm

meh...resisting 50-75% of the hellfire is nice, and if I can still survive P2, why not I guess? :twisted:

Also helps with conflags p1...long enough fight for our healers as it is, I guess I'm trying to help 'em as best I can :P
Jensaarai

Postby Dorvan » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:22 pm

Jensaarai wrote:meh...resisting 50-75% of the hellfire is nice, and if I can still survive P2, why not I guess? :twisted:

Also helps with conflags p1...long enough fight for our healers as it is, I guess I'm trying to help 'em as best I can :P

Of course I'd say if I can survive phase 4-5, why not reduce the damage I take in phase 2 :P I don't like the boss killers strat for phase 1 Cap, we just use 2 warlocks.

Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby Jensaarai » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:36 pm

Touche. Yeah we usually end up using two warlocks just in case one screws up and gets conflaged. Whatever works :P
Jensaarai

PreviousNext

Return to Tempest Keep