Tanking Curator

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tanking Curator

Postby samoa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:32 am

Hello everyone i've ran kara as a healer and now since our Tank and OT are MIA I had to pick up the tanking and i was reading the forums about 1 tanking kara so i did it, And it went well till we hit Curator which it was a pain in the butt. So we brought in a third healer and still it didn't go so well just wanted to know if my gear is good enough to tank curator.

Any suggestions will help me out

Thank You

http://stormscale-us.warcrafter.net/Nqsam
samoa

Postby Far » Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:49 am

I think you should be ok.

I had no problems tanking it, when I had gear like you.

I noticed that I can sometimes get the adds to attack me if I use consecration, so I now only use that in his "weak phase" ( can't remeber what it is called).
Make sure to pop your wings, just before the phase starts, to increase aggro building.

In your build I would move the 5 points from reckoning to 1H Specialization.
It is all damage you do that will be increased by 5%.

Our strategy is to all group up (except me ofc). It makes it easier, since we don't have to chase down the adds.
Far

Postby Boudi » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:42 am

if you haven't read the stickies in the gear forum your gear is not ok.

if you haven't read any stickies at all or haven't used the search option it's not to late to do so :)
Tanked: KZ(nightbane left), Nalorakk
Boudi

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:47 am

<shameless self-promotion>
http://www.wulfsblood.net/2008/01/karaz ... rator.html
</shameless self-promotion>
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Kaedyn » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:35 pm

So my guild and I just tried curator last night...

This is our first time past Moroes with strictly guild members.. We 9 manned all the way up to him, pretty much ez mode. but he's presenting a problem..

basically I have 2 healers when we 9 manned - a holy pally, and a holy/disc priest.. both are great healers.

Also, my OT - a warrior - can switch to his resto druid if need be (we did this for some fights and i single tanked)

My question is this..
honestly, I looked around, maybe i couldnt find it, but i have yet to see a decent strategy for curator.. me and my OT both tried switching out on curator.. we did a horseshoe shape back away from him so not everyone got AOEd by the balls.. I even tried to pull the balls and tank them away from the party members.. but our dps just couldnt burn down the balls, or curator himself fast enough to outweigh the amount of dmg being taken by the party as a whole..

I'm obviously gonna get a 10th person for this, but is there a better strategy to work out than: HOLY SHIT HERE COMES ANOTHER BALL! ARRRGHHHH!!!@@@ and having dps get eaten alive while trying to burn it down? any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

--------------
Kaedyn - Garithos
Kaedyn

Postby Shirak » Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:55 pm

I just main tanked Curator last night. We had all DP stand near his feet. He will send out 10 asteral flares then evocate. DPS is to ONLY focus on the flares till he evocates. When he does so, burn the last flare and then burn every cooldown on Curator. When he comes out of evocate, then once again focus on just the flares.

As long as you only have one flare at a time the damage can be healed through. With more flares the damage goes up.

When curator hits 15% he will stop sending flares and enrage. Everyone needs to burn hard.

Note, use deadly boss mods for this fight. When there is just under 60 seconds left before evocation, have your warlocks cast curse of doom on him. They will hit for MASSIVE damage.
Tuberon wrote:Tanking *is* crowd control.

You run into a crowd, and proceed to control it.
Shirak

Postby samoa » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:33 pm

Ok so we did Curator with the current gear i have :P , And we down him with no problem had Holy Pally/Priest i guess it was the shammy that we had before and he was wearing some greens :evil: So i immediately replace him woot, and also we down shade,Illhoof,prince and is gonna work on nether and night tonite. So You Can DOET!! :D
samoa

Postby Everlight » Wed Jan 30, 2008 3:54 pm

Kaedyn wrote:everyone got AOEd by the balls..

Kaedyn wrote:I even tried to pull the balls

Kaedyn wrote:burn down the balls

Kaedyn wrote:any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

Calling them "flares" would help :lol:
Everlight

Postby Spacehamster » Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:04 am

Kaedyn wrote:but our dps just couldnt burn down the balls, or curator himself fast enough to outweigh the amount of dmg being taken by the party as a whole..

Curator is meant as a gear check, you NEED a certain amount of dps to be able to down him
Spacehamster

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 3:45 am

Yeah, if you can't deal the 12K damage in 10s to the flares, you will start to have problems, if you can't get him down in 4 evocates, your will have problems.

If you have the dps to down the flares easily the best solution we have found is to move one of your lower dps members (pref melee) onto the curator permenantly, we are now downing him in under 2 evocates using this method even with a fairly random group setup. However its no good if you don't have the dps, as this is truly a gear check, if you don't have it you can't do it full stop. You can of course kill him in the enrage phase, its just not fun :D
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Uthadanin » Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:49 am

biggest tip on curator, bring a s-priest for dps, put him in the group with the mana-dps... he gives them mana back and can do a ton of single target dps.

your dps needs to step it up... the longer curator and his adds are up the harder the fight gets.
Uthadanin

Postby plisken451 » Thu Jan 31, 2008 11:12 am

My guild uses the "giant amoeba of dps" strategy on Curator, and we're getting him to enrage during his 2nd evocate. I've got a video of it at our website (shot from my perspective, natch!).

http://www.guildportal.com/Guild.aspx?GuildID=227214&TabID=1914245
ImageRetired

Mirraluun - Asmodian Chanter - Fregion Server - Eated by hackers
plisken451

Postby Kaedyn » Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:13 am

you guys have been a huge help!

My guild went in with 10 people this time haha and we one shot curator!
I got my first tier piece ever WOOT!

thanks again for the suggestions :)
Kaedyn

Postby Frickit » Wed Feb 06, 2008 2:06 pm

i tank curator and take a nap. that fight is all dps/healers
Frickit

Postby Worldie » Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:49 pm

Depends, we decided that now we use the tactic
"ZERG THE BOSS, let the AoE kill adds", where AoE = fire elementals, cleaves, blade flurry, whirlwinds, SoC.

I actually lost aggro to a druid last time since i was oom at start of evocation and i'm too cheap to drink a pot in kara <.< He just turned to bear and tanked the last 10% anyway.

Well, outgearing isnt necessarly good, i would not recommend that on a non outgeared group :)
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Next

Return to Karazhan