Tankadining Maiden?

Attumen, Moroes, Maiden, Opera, Curator, Illhoof, Aran, Netherspite, Chess, Prince, Nightbane

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis

Tankadining Maiden?

Postby Comandant » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:51 am

I tanked maiden for a total of about 3 seconds....after that, the silence had allowed the dps to rip her off me like fat kids taking candy. Is there a good way for a tankadin to tank maiden? I've tanked every other boss in Kara but we always get a warrior or druid to tank her.

Terroar - 70 Warlock
Zeiben - 70 Druid
Marmidon - 64 Warrior

Ducimus
Comandant

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:01 am

Start:
Cast Crusader
Cast Shield
Throw shield at maiden, run at her, judging as you run past.

Middle:
Keep shield up
Consecration /SoV (keep it up even if not judged)

End:
Loot.

The silence only lasts 1s out of every 2s, its a ridiculously easy fight to tank, but your keyboard does get battered a lot more than normal as you spam keys. Your threat will take a small hit as you miss the ideal rotation however you should still easily wipe the floor with the dps threat. If you are having problems how much spell damage are you running? If you are sitting in the 200 range you may have issues especially if you miss rotations or SoV falls off, however with good spell damage its easy, at 408 unbuffed spell damage the closest dps to me was 42% of my threat at the end of it.

One key thing, if you have a pally healer get them to put BoSacrafice on you, it means that the repentence leaves you without a healer for <2s rather than 10... so you should never actually die (I have healed through maiden as a prot pally as the only one up during repentence).
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby Comandant » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:05 am

Ya it's been a couple weeks since I tried it, and i've got about 350 unbuffed spelldamage atm. Sort of speed-geared to tank stuff in SSC/TK so haven't been into Kara much since I got what I needed from there.

Is it better for me to use my spelldamage shield w/out defense or anything or to stick with my shield off gruul?

Terroar - 70 Warlock
Zeiben - 70 Druid
Marmidon - 64 Warrior

Ducimus
Comandant

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:16 am

490 defense, 102.4% mitigation.

Those are the numbers all tanks need to keep in mind at most times, 15K+ unbuffed, 300+spell damage and all that are nice, but if you have the basics you can swap gear around.

I use a stamina / defense shield + spell damage weapon / pally badge gear for my items, remaining passively uncrittable is actually quite hard the way I am currently setup (gemmed for set bonuses, high spell damage). If you don't need uncrushability go for more stamina, avoidance or threat, if you do sacrafice what is needed to get there but you also need to stay viable (enough health / threat).

350 spell damage should enable most classes to go full out without touching your threat, 400ish and you are easily clear. Fully raid buffed (flasks of blinding light, etc) with 500/600 spell damage you should basically be hitting double the threat of a geared mage at the same level of gear (obviously more spell damage, but no BT mage vs gruul pally for example :D).
[url=http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightbringer&n=elyria]Armoury Link
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby ulushnar » Tue Jan 29, 2008 8:22 am

The real thing with Maiden is making sure your DPS knows not to open up if you're tanking her. The Holy Ground will keep you silenced one sec out of every three, and the GCD can also mess with you big-time. If they give you a bit of time to warm up, you'll be fine.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby 2ndNin » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:50 am

With 350 spell damage unbuffed his initial pull should be fine to let them start opening up, the maiden doesn't really affect our tps other than screwing with the ideal rotation (which most people probably mess up a bit anyway, I know I do due to consc / hs lining up mid fight, and hs taking priority in boss fights :D).

The key problem is if he gets a repentence mid way through and no healer is up, that 1s silence can be very bad if you ever want to hit lay on hands.
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby DamnLag » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:32 am

I was actually terrified to do this fight, my small guild just started Kara. It was our first time seeing her, and only 2 of us had ever seen her previous. It was actually surprisingly easy (compared to Moroes.. no OT in our guild). I had DPS hold for ~5-7 seconds since I read that my threat might be an issue. Granted, I mashed the shit out of the buttons. I never lost her, and we one shot her! It was pretty exciting.. I didn't realize until after the fight I had forgotten to judge Crusader going in, so I only had normal SoV going. It did drop a few times with no judgment, but as I read here previously.. my main concern was trying to keep Holy Shield up. In short, I think having DPS hold back at the start is what let me keep her.

493 Def, 102.4% 11.1k HP Unbuffed

Adept's Elixir, Major Fortitude, Wizard Oil, Scroll of Agility, Spicy Crawdad and the usual raid buffs.
Batteries not included.
DamnLag

Postby Antharas » Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:55 am

Ive tanked this fight for my guild every single time weve gone to kara/ i had 200 spell dam the first time i tanked her.

hit SoR, hit HS, pull with AS, judge SoR as u run by her. start ur rotations.

if she isnt in repentence and your gear is decent (uncrushable, 15-16k buffed hp) i would personally drop another conc instead of a holyshield if it came down to that choice (the 3k crushing blows u risk are nothing, and u get alota threat from conc). If your not outgearing the fight at all, id suggest popping wings right as u pull also for more upfront threat.

reason i judge SoR instead of SoC right off the bat is because i get more initial threat. as the fight goes on i might judge SoC, but its usually not needed to hold agro
Antharas

Re: Tankadining Maiden?

Postby palouf » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:24 am

Comandant wrote:I tanked maiden for a total of about 3 seconds....after that, the silence had allowed the dps to rip her off me like fat kids taking candy. Is there a good way for a tankadin to tank maiden? I've tanked every other boss in Kara but we always get a warrior or druid to tank her.

Just tell your dps that's not a dmg meter race and to watch threat :-)
You shouldn't have any problem tanking her, just spam HS, Consecration and SOV/SOR.
Stack a wizard oil if you have a little threat lack.
palouf

Postby guillex » Thu Feb 07, 2008 9:32 am

It's a 2-3 minute fight. Just keep yourself up, make sure your dps realises that it's NOT a dps race, have a pally healer with BoSacr on you for the repentances, and you'll do fine.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby 2ndNin » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:15 am

Last time we killed the maiden I didn't even notice the dps, think we hit about 1, maybe 2 repentences, 2:13 kill :D, they were all still below the aggro I generated in the initial pull / consecrate cycle when she died :(
[/url]
2ndNin

Postby guillex » Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:17 am

Sorry, the thread title makes me think "Tank-a-dining"

Dining tanks, wheeeee!
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Feb 07, 2008 2:11 pm

I found out this was surprisingly easy. Just for the sake of knowing how to do the fight independently of who is healing, I made it the "wake the healers" way, where you walk to tick holy ground once on a healer. Really the only difference is that you mash more your keyboard. DPSers should be paying attention anyway, and if the shield doesn't miss, they're not losing much.
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby NarfJones » Sun Feb 10, 2008 2:20 pm

With around 300 SD I have no problem staying ahead of my DPS. I know that they know what they're are doing, so I trust that they are probably holding back. Our kill pretty much every week is 1m45s or less.

It comes down to your DPS paying attention. You being passed in threat is never your fault. Hitting an enrage timer and not having killed the boss because everyone was threat capped is.
NarfJones
Maintankadonor

Postby bighammar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:57 pm

it really is ezmode, just mash your keyboard for your judgment, seal, consecrate and (most importantly) holy shield. other than the abuse your mouse/keyboard will take, it's probably the most straightforward "tank and spank" from a tanks perspective in Kara.
------
a sometimes genius
bighammar

Next

Return to Karazhan