Please rate my build. 37/17 - 44/17

How to get started.

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, lythac

Please rate my build. 37/17 - 44/17

Postby Triden » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:27 am

I'm leveling up to 70. My goal is to be one of the tanks for the guild. We don't have many so there's an opportunity to fail or succeed here. I'm looking forward to the challenge.

Here's my build at 63. I'm leveling with a shadow priest so if I should reallocate some points, let me know.

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/cla ... 0000000000

Here's the build I was planning on at 70 to tank 5 mans and Karazhan.

I have a feeling I may have planned it a bit more like a warrior would have. Can you please critique it and tell me if you feel I should make changes and why?

Thanks,
Triden
Triden

Postby Chevalier » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:41 am

Get Anticipation into your build. I would suggest dropping Stoicism and 1hspec/precision. You should also take 2 pts out of Conviction and put them into Improved Judgement. Your gear should make it so the lower cooldown on the judgement will give much more extra threat then the crit.
Chevalier

Postby Lore » Mon Apr 09, 2007 7:53 am

For your 70 build:

You NEED Anticipation. 490 defense is the minimum for tanking anything of note (to make yourself uncrittable), and getting all of it on your gear alone would make you give up too much in the way of avoidance (to make yourself uncrushable).

Improved Judgement will give you a lot more threat over time than imp ret aura and especially conviction, I'd recommend picking that up as well.

As far as what to drop, I'd recommend dropping imp ret aura, conviction, and stoicism to pick up anticipation and imp judgement. Imp ret aura is nice for non-heroic 5-mans and aoe packs, but it loses its effectiveness really quickly. Stoicism gives very little benefit to a Tankadin, as does Conviction.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Triden » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:15 am

Should I try to get up to 490 defense as soon as possible? I have greens that can push me up to around 465-470 and still have about 5.5-6k health. Or does being uncrittable scale as you level? For example if I have 470 defense at level 63, would that make me uncrittable to a level 63 mob?

Here's what I've dropped and altered based on your advice

I have 7 points left to spend. Is SoC worth putting a point into? From what I've heard, SoC has a constant proc rate per minute. It seems to judge harder than SoR from what I remember.

Also...don't I want to hit more? The more hits I land, the more threat I build. Doesn't every tank, warrior/paladin/druid, want as much hit as possible? I guess I don't see a reason for dropping Precision. Regardless I still need 2 of the 3 points for Precision somewhere to get 41 points to get AS. Are those 2 points better suited elsewhere? I'm avoiding Imp Devotion Aura because the gain on armor appears to be negligible. Is that a false assumption?
Triden

Postby Lore » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:26 am

490 defense applies to level 70. I wouldn't worry too much about it until you're there.

Hitting things is only a portion of Paladin threat. Judgements, consecrates, holy shields, etc have nothing to do with your chance to hit in melee.

Don't use SoC for tanking.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Triden » Mon Apr 09, 2007 9:37 am

Good point. I hadn't fully thought that one through. :)

Ok. Then I guess my next question is going to be, is it a Paladin's preference to tank with Devotion Aura vs Retribution Aura? I see benefits to each. Devotion would improve survivability with the armor. Retribution, I'm assuming, would help hold aggro across multiple mobs and is free damage scalable with +Spell damage gear. Is it possible to tank with Retribution Aura in instances like heroic instances and large raids? Or does it just depend on your unbuffed armor value? Is Imp Devotion Aura worth 5 talent points? Or would they be better suited for something else?

I've been looking at Guardian's Favor, Divine Intellect, and remaining points into Imp Seal of Righteousness. Is Vindication a talent that can affect boss mobs? If so, I'd put 2 in Guardian's Favor to get 41 points in Protection for AS, 3 into Vindication, and 5 in Divine Intellect for a mana boost.

Or if Imp Devotion Aura is worth the extra base increase in armor, then I'd reallocate 5 points into that instead of Divine Intellect, keeping in mind that Spiritual Attunement will be replenishing my mana.

p.s. I am continuing to read up on other posts as I post my own questions. Doubtless I'll end up answering some of them as I educate myself. :P I'm currently on the WoW-EU forum reading up on damage mitigation.
Triden

Postby Lore » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:02 am

Ret aura vs devotion aura is purely a matter of situation. After you get a feel for the benefits from both of them you'll be able to tell when to use which aura.

Divine Intellect isn't worth 5 points, don't even bother. I like Guardian's Favor a lot, BoP comes in super handy when RD is down and the mage is getting owned.

Vindication does not affect boss mobs. There's a thread or two around here someplace that discusses it, most of the final conclusions have been that anything you'd want to have it on is immune.

Imp devo aura is not worth 5 points.

Here's the most popular raiding Tankadin build currently: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qZVGtIx0dgtxoVbx

That's what most of us going into 10- and 25-mans swear by. Some people have been experimenting with Imp. Sanctity Aura builds as well, something like: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=qZV0tIx0dgzxZVfx0bczb

The idea there being that the increased healing taken and holy damage dealt from Imp. Sanc Aura is worth losing AS, Precision, 1h spec, and Guardian's Favor. I haven't tried it personally, I'm not sure I could stand not having AS.
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Triden » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:18 am

How hard is AS hitting with your current gear and spec?
Triden

Postby Lore » Mon Apr 09, 2007 10:35 am

Hits for 600-700, crits for 1-1.2k
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Catarine » Mon Apr 09, 2007 2:47 pm

Avenger's Shield is so sweet I couldn't live without it. It makes tanking 5man a total breeze. The most challenging thing about most 5man trash is the first 3-4 seconds while establishing aggro and cc'ing targets. If a group can do this effectively it can get to the boss fights. Avenger's Shield gives you a huge threat head start, and the dazed effect allows more time for your cc classes get their cc spells off. It takes some practice to be able to use it without breaking saps, but it is possible provided you have 3 targets (including rats, etc.) in addition to the sapped target.
Catarine

Return to Basic Training & Talents